U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 983,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm sorry, but the majority (obviously not all) of kids 12-14 years old are not going to steal a car, try to rob someone and definitely not kill someone! Kids that do things this young are because they are raised in an environment with NO parental supervision or guidance! It's extremely sad, but it's the truth! Children that are taught from the time that they are infants that behavior such as stealing and killing someone is not acceptable behavior TYPICALLY do not do things like this and become responsible human beings! Obviously there are exceptions. I would also think there are signs, such as bad grades, skipping school etc.

I have a 12 year old and I can tell you that there is NO way she would attempt to sneak out and definitely not steal a vehicle! Now at 14, sure she might experiment with sneaking out as most try at in the teenage years, but committing a crime, I've raised her better!
I think many parents think that and are surprised when their kids get into trouble.

Kids do stupid things at times. They do things that might make you question their sanity. They are also vulnerable to peer pressure and don't want to appear to be a 'child' in front of their peers (Come on take a drink, your mommy won't find out, what are you a coward?). On Yahoo today there is a story about a family, two parent household, who lost two of their sons the same night because they overdosed on drugs and alcohol. They were good kids, not bad apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 04:25 PM

13,115 posts, read 9,199,435 times
Immature individuals often exhibit poor judgment and lack appreciation for the consequences of their actions.
Such is life.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Almost exact same thing happened to some kids when I was in junior high. The kids all claimed to be at a slumber party at different people's house, so parents thought they knew where they were. The kids 'borrowed' one of their grandmother's cars and took it for a joy ride, went too fast on a curve, and two died, a few others seriously injured (broken hip, etc.) and the driver was seriously psychologically messed up for years afterwards. This kind of stuff has been happening since cars and roads have been around.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:14 PM

583 posts, read 251,361 times
I can see it happening. Johnny tells his parents he's sleeping over Billy's, Billy tells his parents he'll be at Mike's, and so on and so forth. The parents assume their kids are where they say they are, meanwhile they're up to no good.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 PM

640 posts, read 282,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Darwinism at work.
If Darwinism worked to produce better people, we wouldn't be seeing posts like yours.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:19 AM

2,644 posts, read 906,127 times
Otherwise good, well-behaved kids can do really, really stupid stuff. When I was 16, my best friend and I thought it would be cool to tell our parents we were going to the library and go, instead, to Houston to see a band. At night. My friend's car (her father's, actually) broke down on the highway. A young guy stopped and offered to help us, but said that we needed to go to his mother's house first, which is where he kept his tools. We said, "Okay, thanks!," and next thing we know, we're in his car, driving deep out into the country in the middle of night. (Important to note: this was Interstate 45, in the 1970s, during the period of the "Texas Killing Fields" murders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_...elds_(location), and two of our friends were victims a year later). So we drive and drive until we get to this little house in the country. We all get out of the car and go to the front door, which is opened by--his mother! He gets his tools, drives us back to our car, fixes the car, and we drive back home. "Lucky" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:48 AM

13,472 posts, read 9,593,751 times
The pre-frontal cortex of the brain is not fully developed in humans until about age 25. Interesting that 25 is when your car insurance premiums drop drastically.

I snuck out of the house all the time as a teen. It certainly didn't make Mike and Ev bad parents. They never saw it coming from their honor roll student.

Very sorry to hear about this tragedy.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:37 AM

8,853 posts, read 7,333,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Seriously? You never did dumb things when you were 12 to 14? This is a tragedy far more than it is a crime.

I hope you don't have children in your life.
At that age I stayed home studying. About the worse thing I did at that time was ride my bicycle across town. I didnít drink alcohol until I was 21, never smoked cigarettes, and never tried illegal drugs.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:53 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,276,729 times
Overall happy news as bad kids get punished for a change.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:07 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,276,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Seriously? You never did dumb things when you were 12 to 14? This is a tragedy far more than it is a crime.

Not only did I not commit crimes as a teenager...that was the age when I developed a lifelong hatred of criminals and "bad boys" in general. Hated them then and still hate them with a passion nearly 40 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or