U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:04 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,577,627 times

Advertisements

Dumping animals is incredibly cruel. I used to live in a rural area on a dirt road - a popular spot for dog dumping. At one time I had 9 dogs, as there was no animal shelter or agency that had jurisdiction because it was so rural, so I kept them. The next large town that did have a shelter would not accept animals from my area.

These dogs would often show up at my home looking like starved skeletons, frightened and desperate for help. The expense of having them neutered, spayed and vaccinated was absorbed by me, not to mention the cost of feeding all those animals. It used to infuriate me that these "dumpers" not only had no concern for the animals, but also no concern for the people who accepted responsibility for their irresponsible behavior.

Dallas offers free spay/neuter, vaccination and microchip for residents of certain neighborhoods (predominately hispanic and AA). They will even pick up the dog and return it after the operation. Yet, I routinely see loose intact dogs roaming around. I can't believe how ignorant the people are who don't take advantage of this service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:10 AM

39,037 posts, read 37,675,762 times
I don't understand how the good samaritan came upon this scene, and it just happened to be a person who knew the shelter address by heart.

I mean ... I consider myself a pretty informed person and I would know the general location of the animal shelters here, but I wouldn't know the exact address and driving directions from a random dead-end off the top of my head.

Does the person who recorded the video stalk areas that are known dumping grounds for strays and try to catch people doing that???

There's more to this story, I believe.

ETA:

Just read the graf at the top of the video, where the woman recording the video lives near this location.

God, that would get so old, happening in front of your house all the time. I think I would post a sign in my yard notifying dumpers of video recording, regardless of whether I had cameras going or not.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
4 perfectly nice dogs dumped in a neighborhood. I can't even...
I agree. And, the person driving the car is an accessory imo! So sad!
I cannot watch the video.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 AM

6,720 posts, read 2,615,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Dumping animals is incredibly cruel. I used to live in a rural area on a dirt road - a popular spot for dog dumping. At one time I had 9 dogs, as there was no animal shelter or agency that had jurisdiction because it was so rural, so I kept them. The next large town that did have a shelter would not accept animals from my area.

These dogs would often show up at my home looking like starved skeletons, frightened and desperate for help. The expense of having them neutered, spayed and vaccinated was absorbed by me, not to mention the cost of feeding all those animals. It used to infuriate me that these "dumpers" not only had no concern for the animals, but also no concern for the people who accepted responsibility for their irresponsible behavior.

Dallas offers free spay/neuter, vaccination and microchip for residents of certain neighborhoods (predominately hispanic and AA). They will even pick up the dog and return it after the operation. Yet, I routinely see loose intact dogs roaming around. I can't believe how ignorant the people are who don't take advantage of this service.
What a sweet person you are.

See, this is why dog dumpers do this. Because there are enough very sweet people who can't turn their back on a desperate starving sweet dog.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:52 PM

1,779 posts, read 859,518 times
It seemed to me, after watching the video, that the woman was speaking to the driver about taking the dogs to the shelter and you can see the driver shoving the last white dog out of the car. I don't understand the driver not being charged as an accessory.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 5 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,023 posts, read 3,610,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I repped you because I replied to you, and there is no better way to make sure someone sees your reply.

You are right that I totally didn't get it. I don't think many people would get it, and I wanted to make sure the wrong people didn't get any sick ideas.

Yes, forums do not show nuances, so you are taken quite literally. All any of us can do is read. In such a communication venue, it's pretty imperative that we all say what we mean. Attempts at sarcasm and/or being facetious and the like would require an explanation.
I do apologize for my rude post. It has bothered me since I sent it. Please accept my apologies, I could have responded much better. This emoticon is to show I need to keep my mouth shut/rudeness to myself.

We are all in agreement about the issue of this topic. These poor dogs should never have been dumped. Now it is in the hands of the judicial system.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Summer vacationers do it all the time and have for decades. They get a pet for the summer at the beach or in the country, then leave them (throw them away) when they return to the city in the fall. Would like someone to beat the cra*p out of them for doing it.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:36 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

I hear ya. I'm in a rural area also. Initially there were four houses on my dead end road. Me and my other two neighbors have taken in several dogs between us over the years that have been dumped here. I have also take in dogs dumped in other locations because my adult son cant leave them so he brings them to me. I have 5 now, only one of which I actually bought.

On a positive note, the number of dogs I see lost and scared on the side of roads obviously dumped had greatly decreased and we haven't had one dumped on our road in about 3 or 4 years.

I certainly wish I could get all the animals I have taken in spay/neutered for free! Or even picked up/dropped off so I didn't have to take personal time to have it done.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,386,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Shaking my head over how that goes viral but there's virtually no mention of the Redlands Rockpit in Miami where it's a daily occurrence with zero help from city agencies, and only a very dedicated rescue group there to feed them and try to get as many into other rescue groups for foster/adoption. A local rescue group in my area went down there last Spring with the hopes of capturing around 25 abandoned dogs, but after 12 hours managed to wind up with 62....sixty two.

https://www.redlandrockpit.org/
I follow them on FB. They do amazing work.

So many communities are dumping grounds. It's heartless and heartbreaking. Rescues working in those areas have a thankless job.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:50 PM

17,224 posts, read 14,812,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I don't understand how the good samaritan came upon this scene, and it just happened to be a person who knew the shelter address by heart.

I mean ... I consider myself a pretty informed person and I would know the general location of the animal shelters here, but I wouldn't know the exact address and driving directions from a random dead-end off the top of my head.

Does the person who recorded the video stalk areas that are known dumping grounds for strays and try to catch people doing that???

There's more to this story, I believe.

ETA:

Just read the graf at the top of the video, where the woman recording the video lives near this location.

God, that would get so old, happening in front of your house all the time. I think I would post a sign in my yard notifying dumpers of video recording, regardless of whether I had cameras going or not.
I wouldn't do that, because I'd be afraid she's just dump them farther down the road and never get caught. I would just record and let social media do the rest, even if the cops did nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or