U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:26 AM

10,397 posts, read 7,478,326 times

Advertisements

And yet "heroes" bring rescued dogs in from Puerto Rico. Really? As if we don't have enough dogs here to rescue?

Fix the problem where it is. Don't transfer it.

Of course in some cases, fixing the problem would involve homicide so... quite a dilemma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 12:13 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,965,225 times
The woman should be dumped in middle of desert in July with no water

Old 04-30-2018, 08:15 AM

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Our sweet dog who passed a few years ago was also a survivor, but from a threatened drowning. Rural area and a rescuer got news that someone was saying they couldn't take care of puppies, said she was going to drown them. Rescuer got them and we adopted our darling girl. She was with us for about 10 years, we lost her to cancer. I miss her every day.

I don't know why people don't get their pets spay/neutered. Most areas have assistance for those who cant afford the cost. That would prevent so many useless deaths. If I ever hit the lottery my first donation will be to the spay/neuter clinics.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:18 AM

7,593 posts, read 5,105,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I don't know why people don't get their pets spay/neutered. Most areas have assistance for those who cant afford the cost. That would prevent so many useless deaths. If I ever hit the lottery my first donation will be to the spay/neuter clinics.
Unfortunately, for some people it's just a very low or non-existent priority even though they can easily afford it. For others, it's not wanting to 'alter' their animals, and/or just a plain old lazy streak. Add to that a propensity to not contain their animals properly, and you have even more homeless dogs and cats.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:36 PM

1,333 posts, read 636,060 times
In too many communities, pets are on the bottom of the list. In our area the city council refused to introduce a bill that would allocate a tiny fraction of property taxes to help fund the local low cost/free spay/neuter program, which is currently limping along on donations only, even though this would help people as well as animals. But there was plenty of money for a jail expansion and to build a huge new high school for a seriously dwindling student population.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 3,762 times
I agree that in too many communities, pets are on the bottom of the list. It is just sad that with all the pets living and sharing great moments with their owners, this happens.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:58 PM

7,593 posts, read 5,105,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
In too many communities, pets are on the bottom of the list. In our area the city council refused to introduce a bill that would allocate a tiny fraction of property taxes to help fund the local low cost/free spay/neuter program, which is currently limping along on donations only, even though this would help people as well as animals. But there was plenty of money for a jail expansion and to build a huge new high school for a seriously dwindling student population.
The very same thing happened here in my town. 25 million for a new high school in a town of less than 8,000 pop., with dwindling enrollment on top of that. Two years later we got hit with a sales tax hike to build a new law enforcement center. Those are just the most recent projects. The actual list starts in 1999 and is quite lengthy. We are finally getting a building built for the local humane society, but it took nearly 25 years of fund-raising and donations to make it happen. If the money spent for local animal control and been used for spay & neuter programs for the public/low income people, we might not even need an animal control officer in the first place.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
For a lot of people that 'low cost' is still out of reach, and they don't have the self discipline to deny themselves a pet even though they can't afford to do anything for the pet other than food and maybe basic care.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:21 PM

21,265 posts, read 20,872,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
As punishment, they should take her to a strange area, and abandon her with no food, water or any way to get any. See how she likes it.
I second that! I'd like to be in on the decision as to where it would be. She'd definitely end up regretting the day she pulled that stunt.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,711,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Unfortunately, for some people it's just a very low or non-existent priority even though they can easily afford it. For others, it's not wanting to 'alter' their animals, and/or just a plain old lazy streak. Add to that a propensity to not contain their animals properly, and you have even more homeless dogs and cats.
Cat, You and I both know all of my pets; including feral, are spayed and neutered.

However, let me add that for the very poor, (at least here in Lee Co.) they make you jump through hoops to get them sterilized. I am not the very poor, but because they are ferals, wanted to take advantage of the program. It is open to all.

A few years back, when we began trapping ferals, the Co. said they would 'rent' us a trap, with a 40.00 deposit. I drove 15 miles to the Co. Animal shelter, only to find out (after several phone calls) that they were all out.

So I bought my own, for another 10. bucks, including shipping.

Then the County tells me I must make a twice a month available appointment to have the said animal spayed or neutered.

So, where I live, going to a private Vet/Dr., is the way to fly. Florida is not the best state to offer up services...
Ferals do not admit themselves to schedule. Lee Co. does not understand this.

I paid full price, and will do so again, should I find the need to do so. SW FL Animal services sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or