Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:58 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
In cases such as this, can the school be held liable/sued by the family?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/b732e76...nt-hit%2C.html
Absolutely. Schools are responsible for the safety of their students when they are acting in loco parentis. If he left the campus without his parents' authorization, the school failed to adequately supervise the student and can be liable for the foreseeable consequences for their negligent supervision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 03:07 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
The walkout organizers did not say to take that opportunity to leave campus and they sure did not preach to go play on a highway. No I see this is a terrible accident by a kid who took advantage of an opportunity to walk away from school for a day.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
He was not participating in the walk out. They are unsure of why he left school.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
He was not participating in the walk out. They are unsure of why he left school.
He was using it as cover to make a break.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Absolutely. Schools are responsible for the safety of their students when they are acting in loco parentis. If he left the campus without his parents' authorization, the school failed to adequately supervise the student and can be liable for the foreseeable consequences for their negligent supervision.
I don't agree.

They took reasonable care. This isn't a 3 year old. He's a mainstream 6th grader who decided to cut class and sneak out of the one door that wasn't being watched.

A public middle school can't possibly - on any given day - physically prevent kids from leaving campus. It's not as if he escaped from a maximum security prison, or a memory care facility.

His behavior of leaving school grounds, and then crossing a highway on foot when a car was approaching caused his death.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't agree.

They took reasonable care. This isn't a 3 year old. He's a mainstream 6th grader who decided to cut class and sneak out of the one door that wasn't being watched.

A public middle school can't possibly - on any given day - physically prevent kids from leaving campus. It's not as if he escaped from a maximum security prison, or a memory care facility.

His behavior of leaving school grounds, and then crossing a highway on foot when a car was approaching caused his death.
You can disagree all you like but the case law on these matters is unambiguous. Schools are responsible for the safety of their charges, whether they are 3 or "mainstream 6th graders," while in their care. They can also be found liable for the foreseeable consequences of their failure to properly oversee their safety, such as the dangers this child placed himself into while roaming around unsupervised. Whether this school took reasonable care is an assumption on your part; that's a finding for the court to determine should the parents bring suit.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:47 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Either the student or the driver should be held liable, nobody else.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
My high school was and still is open campus. I think what you're saying only applies to special needs students and very young kids.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
My high school was and still is open campus. I think what you're saying only applies to special needs students and very young kids.
It doesn't apply only to special needs and very young kids. It applies to ALL kids placed in their care.

I would hope your former high school requires liability waivers from parents before allowing kids to leave campus prior to the end of the school day. If they don't, and they wish to expose themselves to that sort of liability, I suppose that's their prerogative.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:31 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think there is a picture of him here. It's not a picture I would want my son remembered by. Boy, 11, is hit and killed by a truck after walking out of middle school in protest against guns* | Daily Mail Online
I thought he looked really cute and obviously he was "got up" as Alfalfa from the old "Our Gang" cartoons from the 1930's (?). Maybe it was a school play or Halloween or whatever. Cute kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events