U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,530,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That was probably back in the day when kids had some respect/fear of authority figures. Today teachers and bus drivers cant do much to control the kids without backlash from parents and the community. Even pulling the bus over for however long it takes to restore order then you got parents mad because kids are late and they have been waiting in their car at the end of the driveway to drive them the 20 yards back to the house.
I don't know about that. This stuff doesn't happen on my kid's buses. It never has. If it is a rowdy bunch, they place a para on the bus to manage the kids. And this is across different school districts and states.

It isn't "kids these days"...its an absolute neglect of student management if this is going on.

I was pleased to see some kids were coming to his aid, even one of the bullies when he saw the younger boy was upset. But a bit disheartened because that is what the kids are taught now, to be a support to the kid being attacked. But it didn't seem to change much of the mob mentality...it seemed to spur them on. That is sad to see. How can we expect our kids to end bullying if the tools we give them don't work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,530,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I could understand almost none of that entire 4 minute video, although the kids were talking incessantly. The first thing I could actually understand was someone saying "you can't say anything about his shoes, those are new man, those shoes are new". Then an older kid was apparently teasing him and trying to record him, at which point the child knocks the cell phone out of that kid's hand. That older kid picks his cell phone off the bus floor, and the smaller kid starts to cry into his sleeve.

At that time, another older kid comes over to him and keeps saying you're good man, you're good. You're good man, you're good while touching his arm and he appears to stop crying.

Did I miss something? That was some teasing that came to an end by the students themselves is what I saw.

I would be interested in a partial transcript, if anyone can understand anything at all more than what I could.
As I saw it, one of the main kids who egged everyone on became empathetic and caring once the victim started to cry. That is a good sign for that boy's empathy. There was another boy who tried to get in the middle but seemed too small to really help. And a few other smaller kids who didn't know what to do. It seemed, at the end, there were 2 boys still taking part in the bullying. One seeming to relish taking photos of the boy crying and one who was recording it.

P.S. How do so many kids have smart phones?

Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,235,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I could understand almost none of that entire 4 minute video, although the kids were talking incessantly. The first thing I could actually understand was someone saying "you can't say anything about his shoes, those are new man, those shoes are new". Then an older kid was apparently teasing him and trying to record him, at which point the child knocks the cell phone out of that kid's hand. That older kid picks his cell phone off the bus floor, and the smaller kid starts to cry into his sleeve.

At that time, another older kid comes over to him and keeps saying you're good man, you're good. You're good man, you're good while touching his arm and he appears to stop crying.

Did I miss something? That was some teasing that came to an end by the students themselves is what I saw.

I would be interested in a partial transcript, if anyone can understand anything at all more than what I could.
I agree with this assessment. It's always upsetting to watch a little kid cry like that, and I felt bad for him. However, at least the one kid, recognized it and tried to console him as soon as he started crying, which I thought was a kind act (at least he recognized he was initially wrong and stopped). Agreed also that the overall raucousness made it hard to even hear what they were saying, and it's a shame that young kids are behaving like that on school busses nowadays.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 PM
miu

16,522 posts, read 33,508,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Breaks my heart to see such bullying.

Who knows how often this kind of thing goes on everyday.

Virginia school district investigating 4 min. bullying video | Charlotte Observer
Well there's a school mass killer in the making...

Old 04-24-2018, 04:29 AM

2,556 posts, read 654,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That was very sad. It is shocking that this level of noise and activity is allowed on the bus. Not where I live. And when I was a kid and our bus got loud, our bus driver pulled over and got the kids back under control.

I hope the school makes some changes.
Different times. Parents are so damn sue happy these days, and it's usually the trouble maker's parents that cause the problems in the first place.

But yes, bullying happens alot, and many times the kids don't want to talk about it, so it's best to just know your child and to pay attention to their grades. See if there are other educational alternatives. I have a younger cousin who kept acting up, grades slipping, ADD off the charts, and it was when her mother worked with guidance councilors and had her child moved to a smaller school, her attitude and grades improved. Later on, she admits she was being bullied by a group of boys in the school and on the bus, but the lead boy's mother just happened to be a teacher at the school, so she thought she would get in trouble if she told.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 AM

6,910 posts, read 4,482,995 times
It starts at home. The child learned this behavior from either their parents, siblings or from their environment. A school/teacher's responsibility is to educate the child on topics.

There are a lot of emotionally/mentally unstable kids and adults due to poor parenting, bad social and economic environment, poor education, lack of critical thinking, lack of rationality, etc.

And we want to go to Mars...(LOL!)

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 04-24-2018 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 06:09 AM

1,040 posts, read 546,001 times
The driver should have pulled over and restored order. If some adults complained later, driver could let them know that it is unsafe to drive a school bus full of children while there's a loud disturbance going on inside the bus. Any number of things could happen not the least of which is a collision. The school administrators should stand firmly behind the driver on this. Then the principal should give the parents/guardians of every one of the troublemakers a written account of their child's behavior, with a warning. The next time their child engages in bad behavior on the school bus will be the last time their child is on the school bus.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,235,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
The driver should have pulled over and restored order. If some adults complained later, driver could let them know that it is unsafe to drive a school bus full of children while there's a loud disturbance going on inside the bus. Any number of things could happen not the least of which is a collision. The school administrators should stand firmly behind the driver on this. Then the principal should give the parents/guardians of every one of the troublemakers a written account of their child's behavior, with a warning. The next time their child engages in bad behavior on the school bus will be the last time their child is on the school bus.
I agree that the driver should have pulled over, but the problem is that it was so loud and chaotic on the bus that the driver may not have know that the child was being bullied (giving him/her the benefit of the doubt). If you were to just listen to the video without actually looking at the footage, it just sounds like a lot of loud, chaotic noise. Thankfully there was no physical violence, which would have made it more obvious that something was going on (and then you would hope that for sure the driver pulled over).

But the main point is that, that level of noise and chaos shouldn't be allowed on the bus. If you allow it, then situations like this may go unnoticed by the bus driver (who needs to have his/her eyes on the road) because they will think it's just "kids being kids."

Old 04-24-2018, 07:46 AM

5,118 posts, read 633,854 times
I just don't understand this, not only for the bullying (which I do agree was terrible and that bullying should never be excused), but for the noise and chaos. Of course, I am projecting my own reactions into this, but there is no way I could safely drive a car, let alone a bus, under those conditions. How would the parents react if there was a driver-caused accident due to being distracted?

This is another case in which I think school bus drivers should have more training in how to resolve issues like this -- but I think a first step should be installation of A/V monitors in every bus. If a child is often a source of trouble to others, the video should be shown to the parent, and some kind of consequences should be issued.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 AM

20,088 posts, read 20,582,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't know about that. This stuff doesn't happen on my kid's buses. It never has. If it is a rowdy bunch, they place a para on the bus to manage the kids. And this is across different school districts and states.

It isn't "kids these days"...its an absolute neglect of student management if this is going on.

I was pleased to see some kids were coming to his aid, even one of the bullies when he saw the younger boy was upset. But a bit disheartened because that is what the kids are taught now, to be a support to the kid being attacked. But it didn't seem to change much of the mob mentality...it seemed to spur them on. That is sad to see. How can we expect our kids to end bullying if the tools we give them don't work?

Doesn't on mine either because we still have a majority of parents who will back up the school, teachers and bus drivers rules. If their kids don't do as expected within reason and they get an infraction they get it worse at home. If it continues the offenders are kicked off the bus.
But this is not so everywhere.
My sister drove a school bus for a large school district. I don't know how many times she was threatened by parents and called to the administrators office just for trying to keep order, once for leaving a kid who was continually late to come out for the bus after several warnings to the parent. She would come and visit me and see a bus full of kids behaving and even waving at us and she was amazed at the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or