U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times

Advertisements

The people and schools and teachers taught kids how to bully by incessantly harping on the topic. These days you are either a victim or a bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 02:19 PM

6,446 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The people and schools and teachers taught kids how to bully by incessantly harping on the topic. These days you are either a victim or a bully.
I am glad some attention is given these days to bullying. Although I think many situations are not truly bullying, they are something else.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:43 PM

3,470 posts, read 658,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I am glad some attention is given these days to bullying. Although I think many situations are not truly bullying, they are something else.
The sad thing is, there is some real, violent bullying going on in schools still, and some kids end up committing suicide because they’re afraid to say anything and feel it's the only way out. Sometimes bullies get together and gang up on someone weaker, and that poor kid has no chance.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:58 PM

6,446 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
The sad thing is, there is some real, violent bullying going on in schools still, and some kids end up committing suicide because they’re afraid to say anything and feel it's the only way out. Sometimes bullies get together and gang up on someone weaker, and that poor kid has no chance.
I would blame the parents and the bullies themselves. The teachers and bus drivers can only do so much. And a lot of bullying takes place online these days and teachers have no control over that.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:32 AM

4,444 posts, read 2,065,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So adults should bully bullies to stop the bullying. Makes sense
Adults need to discipline - I don't consider that bullying. There's no reason kids also are not taught respect. Sorry but all "parents" even in the animal kingdom are there to protect their young but also to teach their young. Many humans are failing at both - therefore the community either steps up or deals with the consequences.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:45 AM

5,125 posts, read 3,636,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I remember when I was a kid and our bus was unruly for a while. None of us would listen to the bus driver and we did not recognize her as having any authority at all. Somehow she convinced the biggest hard ass teacher in our school to act as a bus monitor one day. He made us all sit in absolute silence for the entire ride and he warned us that if he ever had to come on the bus and monitor us again it would go a lot worse. He also warned those of us on the bus who were in his class that if he heard we caused any trouble for the driver again he had a whole lot of extra assignments he could give us, and he was pretty sure the principal would let him give assignments to students who were not in his class as well.

You won't be surprised to hear that he never had to act as a bus monitor again.
THIS!!!! IS A BRILLIANT SOLUTION!

The vice principal we had would have been equally as effective. He was a great teacher but he didn't put up with any guff.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That was my first thought as well. The driver just continues on while this nonsense goes on in his bus? The level of noise alone would have been enough to make our bus driver pull over and scold us. No way would this have been allowed.

That said, bullying always has been a thing, and it will continue no matter what.
As a parent, if this were my child and the problem persisted, I would change his school, or home school him. No amount of teacher intervention is going to solve this, as the kids will just find other ways to harass him.
Its not the kids or the school's fault its the parents! No one can discipline their precious kids, its never their kids fault. Parents push back now.
Schools are just in an impossible position now. Can't discipline, parents won't.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:23 AM

3,998 posts, read 1,776,085 times
I have to ride the large buses with general education students every few months. I did so only infrequently starting in the early 1990's but have had to do so consistently since 2005.

It just dawned on me why nobody understands when I say "There is something wrong with the kids".

Nobody else has been there, as an adult & if you were, say; volunteering as a chaperone in 1991; you probably were not doing so in 2011. Or 2016. Or 4 months ago like I was.

Quote:
This stuff doesn't happen on my kid's buses. It never has. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Doesn't on mine either because we still have a majority of parents who will back up the school, teachers and bus drivers rules.
I'm not trying to be confrontational but are you sure? Quite sure? I'm interested to know, because if you are correct then there is something very wrong in my area with the air or the water.

I'm pretty sure the majority of parents (who I've never seen on the buses with me) would be astounded at what happens when you fit 50+ kids inside a contained vehicle. And I also; would never have seen this when I was a kid. There is no way any bus I ever rode on would make it two blocks if we behaved the way they do now.

It didn't happen in 1991 either. It was a little worse by around 1995. It became unbearable by around 2006.

Quote:
It isn't "kids these days"...
Oh I disagree ... It IS the kids. It's not their fault but there is most definitly something wrong with kids these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've never seen bus behavior like what I saw on that bus. I've seen video of evil people on school buses, but these kids weren't evil at all, they were just behaving as if they are at the park. Jumping all over the place, shouting, throwing things.
We happen to have a Forensic Psychiatric Facility in my state & I was lucky enough to be able to do my psych rotation there in college. That is what these kids sound like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
If some adults complained later, driver could let them know that it is unsafe to drive a school bus full of children while there's a loud disturbance going on inside the bus. Any number of things could happen not the least of which is a collision.
I think the drivers aquire some sort of psychological retreat that enables them to just try to get from Point A to Point B & in one piece.

Similar to a "Fugue", which is not a good sign of mental health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree that the driver should have pulled over, but the problem is that it was so loud and chaotic on the bus that the driver may not have know that the child was being bullied
I've been on bus rides where it was so loud, someone could have been murdered & nobody would know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If the bus driver tried to regain order do you think the kids would actually listen to him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes.
I would be encouraged to hear that this is what you have seen happen while you were on the bus with the kids. Not what you see from the roadway. In the bus. With the kids sitting next to you. behind you, in front of you. Several rows, all surrounding you.

And for how long does this regain of order usually last for? Twenty minutes? An hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This kind of incident is why I have long advocated for each bus to have a driver and a monitor. I want the bus driver to keep their eyes on the road. I want a monitor to keep his/her eyes on the kids and intervene when needed..
That would be awesome. From what I've seen they would need to be able to function more like a security officer because the aides have learned the same psychological retreat response as the drivers have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
And we want to go to Mars...(LOL!)
That is the saddest part of all.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Adults need to discipline - I don't consider that bullying. There's no reason kids also are not taught respect. Sorry but all "parents" even in the animal kingdom are there to protect their young but also to teach their young. Many humans are failing at both - therefore the community either steps up or deals with the consequences.
You didn't say discipline, you said "harsh punishment". Those are different things to me.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Really? What else do you think it could be? Can you post some examples for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or