Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times

Advertisements

It's unfortunate but this type of behavior has been occurring forever. When I was younger we all did it and it happened to every single one of us. It was cruel but it toughened us up and prepared us for adulthood. This younger generation is too soft and cannot handle name calling or being ridiculed. Sadly many resort to taking their own lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It sounds like that school district needs to put adult monitors on each bus to control the kids. The driver is supposed to concentrate on driving, not divide his attention between driving and babysitting.

When I was a kid, the driver would have pulled off the road until we stopped, but looking around where I am now, often there is no place to safely pull off the road, even in a small car, let alone a huge bus.

That school bus mayhem is due to bad parenting. Children aren't taught that they can't run around like wild animals anywhere they feel like it.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Bullying is not new. The only difference now is cell phone cameras and social media. I had a few playground fights as a kid.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That was very sad. It is shocking that this level of noise and activity is allowed on the bus. Not where I live. And when I was a kid and our bus got loud, our bus driver pulled over and got the kids back under control.

I hope the school makes some changes.

Same where we're at! Our bus drivers will not tolerate crap from kids at all! If this was my kid I'd pull them off the bus and drive them. I would also get the school board involved. Sad!

Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It sounds like that school district needs to put adult monitors on each bus to control the kids. The driver is supposed to concentrate on driving, not divide his attention between driving and babysitting.

When I was a kid, the driver would have pulled off the road until we stopped, but looking around where I am now, often there is no place to safely pull off the road, even in a small car, let alone a huge bus.

That school bus mayhem is due to bad parenting. Children aren't taught that they can't run around like wild animals anywhere they feel like it.
Problem is many school districts don't have the funding to hire bus monitors and they shouldn't have to. Our district needs more busses. Kids ride one to two hours on the bus one way. Mine catches the bus at 6:00 and gets to school at 7:30.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:02 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That was my first thought as well. The driver just continues on while this nonsense goes on in his bus? The level of noise alone would have been enough to make our bus driver pull over and scold us. No way would this have been allowed.

That said, bullying always has been a thing, and it will continue no matter what.
As a parent, if this were my child and the problem persisted, I would change his school, or home school him. No amount of teacher intervention is going to solve this, as the kids will just find other ways to harass him.
Parents these days do not teach their kids how to stand up for themselves, which causes many problems down the road. When I was little I was taught to box, and as I got older I started with judo and progressed to other MA.
I was also taught that if I started a fight in school I'd get a spanking, but if I lost a fight I started, I'd get it twice as bad. Some modern day helicopter parents are probably aghast at hearing such things, but it works. Teaching your kid to avoud fights but standing up for themselves is an important life lesson. Punching a bully in the nose does wonders to stop them from picking on you.
Pulling your kid out of school (unless there is serious danger) only teaches them to run away from a problem, not how to solve it.

Quote:
I disagree. Bullying is not a fact of life. In schools that have put in a lot to change the actual culture in their school (not just paying lip service with "anti-bullying campaigns") have seen it pay off. Its not like no kid will ever get picked on or teased. That is a fact of life. But full on psychological, physical and emotional attacks can be reduced dramatically if the culture in the school changes. And that takes work, vigilance, patience, time, etc. Hard to have all that when you have a test to teach, though.

I also don't think its on the victim to move. If a child is being systematically bullied then the kids taking part get moved until its a safe environment.
We disagree and agree.
Where we disagree is that bullying is a fact of life, as kids can be cruel, and it will happen whether it be in school, the playground, neighborhood, etc.
I remember the things my parents taught me well when I was a kid, such as ignore insults because they could not hurt me. It didn't mean they would stop right away, but if you don't let it get to you, the verbal bully typically moves on to another target.
Where we agree is that the kid being picked on should not have to leave the school. I bet if that kid in the video broke the bully's cellphone, the parents of the bully would tan his hide once they discovered how it occurred.

The bottom line is kids need to be taught to stand up for themselves at an early age, as life is tough, and gets harder as you get older.

`

Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Parents these days do not teach their kids how to stand up for themselves, which causes many problems down the road. When I was little I was taught to box, and as I got older I started with judo and progressed to other MA.
I was also taught that if I started a fight in school I'd get a spanking, but if I lost a fight I started, I'd get it twice as bad. Some modern day helicopter parents are probably aghast at hearing such things, but it works. Teaching your kid to avoud fights but standing up for themselves is an important life lesson. Punching a bully in the nose does wonders to stop them from picking on you.
Pulling your kid out of school (unless there is serious danger) only teaches them to run away from a problem, not how to solve it.

We disagree and agree.
Where we disagree is that bullying is a fact of life, as kids can be cruel, and it will happen whether it be in school, the playground, neighborhood, etc.
I remember the things my parents taught me well when I was a kid, such as ignore insults because they could not hurt me. It didn't mean they would stop right away, but if you don't let it get to you, the verbal bully typically moves on to another target.
Where we agree is that the kid being picked on should not have to leave the school. I bet if that kid in the video broke the bully's cellphone, the parents of the bully would tan his hide once they discovered how it occurred.

The bottom line is kids need to be taught to stand up for themselves at an early age, as life is tough, and gets harder as you get older.

`
Kids cant get away with punching their bully in the nose anymore. Just ask my son. On the other hand, a lot of adults think its helpful for a child that is a bit different to be picked on to "toughen them up" and "get them to act more like their peers". Trust me, I have been on one side of that convo more then you would imagine.

I don't think we are teaching our kids to be soft. I think we are evolving into nicer and more empathetic people...teaching our kids as we go along.

So we can agree bullying is a fact of life...but I don't agree it has to be. I see changes for the better.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:25 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Shouldn't all the children be secured by seat belts? That way, several children wouldn't be ringing one child and teasing/yelling at him. And if the children release their own belts to run around the bus, they should be identified and suspended or otherwise penalized.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:50 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
I agree with you, but... I also agree with this:

Quote:
Kids cant get away with punching their bully in the nose anymore. Just ask my son.
Schools don't just slap you on the wrist for fighting/punching anyone anymore. I got away with retaliation against a bully when I was in 8th grade myself (and again after moving at 14), and it worked wonders. Both times. BUT, fast forward a decade and a half or so later, kids are getting arrested for things like this. Kids are also bringing guns to school and stabbing each other more than they used to. Society has changed.
Just look at bar fights, for instance. One used to be able to get in a fist fight, win or lose, and move on.
Now, either people are getting arrested or shot.

I've taught my kids to counter bullies verbally in the event that anyone picks on them. Find ways to make other people laugh AT the bully if he picks on you first. A bully getting laughed at is an ego-killer. But punching/hitting them? Not anymore. Not unless they are physically harmed or threatened first.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Anybody that stands up to bad kids gets thrown under the bus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events