Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:52 PM

133 posts, read 87,547 times

Advertisements

Delta Staff Tied Passenger With Multiple Sclerosis to Her Wheelchair, Family Claims

I'm not even sure where to start with this one....There has to be something additional here...Delta is disputing the customer's story....

Couple of immediate observations:

- Instead of helping his mother, he must stop and take pictures.
- They requested a wheelchair with straps - it wasn't there. OK. Would you like no wheel chair or see what we can do in the mean time? Did the family members attempt to assist or just watch all of this play out?
- If you need a very specific medical device, don't you bring it with you? You can gate check wheelchairs, strollers, etc. How was she to get around after leaving the airport?
- I would hope that Delta employees at the gate, who's job is customer service, would not treat someone like this. Seems a little over the top, even for airline employees....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 02:42 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
I agree, I have questions and feel like info is missing. Why would the family allow her to be tied up with a dirty blanket? I would have stopped them and we probably wouldn't have gotten on the plane period. They allowed it and flew like that, which I don't get.. Unless I am reading something wrong

I hope this really didn't happen this way.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:43 PM

46 posts, read 18,702 times
Quote:
I'm not even sure where to start with this one....There has to be something additional here...Delta is disputing the customer's story....
Sadly we wont know for sure....... I doubt they would treat someone like this just due to MS concerns........ (I know some people who are in wheelchairs and none are tied in)

I might be wrong though...... (I hope I am not)

Old 04-26-2018, 01:20 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Airlines and airports are very solicitous about special needs passengers. In some (Manila and Istanbul e.g.) passengers needing or requesting special assistance (such as blind) are required to be moved through the airport in wheelchairs, even if they are perfectly ambulatory. This service is provided, free of charge, by the airline and/or the airport.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:14 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Another article states that she was falling over in the chair so they used the blanket. Honestly a blanket is no different from a strap (which they requested).

The real kicker is that the son started a “go fund me” page about this that was later taken down, and the family complained about a “similar but more severe” incident on a previous flight and Delta refunded their tickets.

So maybe there is more to the story here. The go fund me and the fact that the son said “they refunded our tickets last time” — fishy.

https://www.ajc.com/business/treatme...8f1qKfrQJPhHP/

Old 04-26-2018, 04:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
"Dirty blanket" adds to the drama. Did they pick it up off the runway or what that it was "dirty." An awful lot going on and the family snapping away, eh. And a Go Fund Me page into the bargain.

I'm not racing to condemn the airline right off the bat.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
in the old days they would strap disabled people to the mast on ocean voyages

Old 04-26-2018, 08:31 AM

46 posts, read 18,702 times
I guess it was for thier safety......

Who knows about this story...... I doubt we ever will (I doubt people will be honest about this)

Old 04-26-2018, 08:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Another article states that she was falling over in the chair so they used the blanket. Honestly a blanket is no different from a strap (which they requested).
Yep. Just another privileged bunch looking to cash in on an airline. Goodness we are really becoming ridiculous.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Oh boy was a nightmare.

I guess people are used to the same provisions being made every time and aren’t flexible when things happen.

That being said, tying someone with a blanket is really half***.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events