Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times

Advertisements

There wasn't nearly enough information in that article to really form an opinion. Very random.

I know with disabilities and travel, its hit and miss. And I have seen some really terrible things where disabled people aren't treated humanely. So I do know that. But starting a go fund me page? The family absolutely lost all credibility to me. I wish I could see a screen shot of it...what did they want the money for? An ice pack for the woman's bruise on her arm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Airlines and airports are very solicitous about special needs passengers. In some (Manila and Istanbul e.g.) passengers needing or requesting special assistance (such as blind) are required to be moved through the airport in wheelchairs, even if they are perfectly ambulatory. This service is provided, free of charge, by the airline and/or the airport.
Personally...That wheelchair looks very small compared to the woman's body size. I cannot imagine that the family brought her to the airport in that chair. So....Where was her real wheelchair? And why wasn't she sitting in the correct wheelchair?

Someone who has absolutely no ability to move would be extremely difficult to accommodate imo. Most times folks have special wheelchairs meant for their specific needs. We've all seen them....the chairs with devices that allow folks to blow into a control piece, which moves the chair....etc.

And, I have seen many passengers using their own wheel chairs on flights....They are usually in the front sections where there is much more room.

For me...seeing this wheelchair makes me suspicious......Where is this woman's personal wheelchair? I believe the family should explain.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:06 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
The big question is, "Did they reserve a proper wheel chair in advance so it would be available, or did they just show up and they needed for her to be strapped in to be able to board for safety reasons?"

If they had not notified Delta in advance they needed this special accommodation such as a special wheel chair. then they have to realize they may not have exactly what is needed, and tried to improvise so the woman would be able to take her flight.

If you do not reserve something like this when you order your ticket, you may very well not get what you want/need.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
How would these people evacuate from a burning aircraft if necessary?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Another article states that she was falling over in the chair so they used the blanket. Honestly a blanket is no different from a strap (which they requested).

The real kicker is that the son started a “go fund me” page about this that was later taken down, and the family complained about a “similar but more severe” incident on a previous flight and Delta refunded their tickets.

So maybe there is more to the story here. The go fund me and the fact that the son said “they refunded our tickets last time” — fishy.

https://www.ajc.com/business/treatme...8f1qKfrQJPhHP/
Much better article but still misses the mark for good reporting.

It sounds like the family doesn't understand the rules and the details.

Quote:
In*comments on Facebook, Saliagas says at home, his mother has*“multiple different chairs,” but*“Delta has a legal obligation under their carriage contract and by federal law to provide these services since most aisle chairs aren’t even allowed on board.”
Aisle chairs are allowed on board...they are what are used to get people on and off the plane. People that use a w/c sit in a regular plane seat. They do have straps and are very narrow seats to fit down the aisle.

"federal law"...is that in Amsterdam? I think the ACA is for the US. I don't know for sure.

I have not seen air port transport wheelchairs that have belts. A traditional chair would have been better for her though. I don't know, its hard to know what they were working with if the airport in Amsterdam doesn't respond and tell their side. The blanket was not ideal.

It just feels like a money grab. If you have special needs, you have to be proactive and advocate for yourself/your loved one because the minimum wage transport workers don't know the details about each person's needs and abilities. And then be proactive. Say "No, you will not use a blanket to tie her in. Lets sit her in a comfortable chair and brain storm a better way to do this".

Or bring your own chair for maximum safety and comfort. You roll right up to the airplane door, transfer to the aisle chair, they put your chair in cargo for free and then it meets you right outside the plane door when you land. Seems way easier then depending on the airport and renting one in your destination.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How would these people evacuate from a burning aircraft if necessary?
Hope that some one strong carries them, really. Some international planes have an on board aisle chair, but most don't. So another question "how do they go to the restroom?". Unless they can walk some, they don't.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Oh boy was a nightmare.

I guess people are used to the same provisions being made every time and aren’t flexible when things happen.

That being said, tying someone with a blanket is really half***.
Sheesh, you betcha. Didn't they have duct tape?

Old 04-26-2018, 02:37 PM

133 posts, read 87,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
There wasn't nearly enough information in that article to really form an opinion. Very random.

I know with disabilities and travel, its hit and miss. And I have seen some really terrible things where disabled people aren't treated humanely. So I do know that. But starting a go fund me page? The family absolutely lost all credibility to me. I wish I could see a screen shot of it...what did they want the money for? An ice pack for the woman's bruise on her arm?
Right? They can afford yearly trips to Europe, but need a GoFundMe...?

Old 04-26-2018, 03:01 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Hope that some one strong carries them, really. Some international planes have an on board aisle chair, but most don't. So another question "how do they go to the restroom?". Unless they can walk some, they don't.
I am paraplegic and whenever we fly we make certain to stress the need for an aisle chair on board every plane I am on. We check before we get to the airport, at check in and at the gate at least 2 hours before boarding. DH also asks to physically see the aisle chair as the transport crew puts me in my seat.

Even with my ostomy and if I were to have a foley (which I almost always have when traveling) they still need to be emptied and no one would appreciate them being drained out of the bathroom.

Every airline we have been on for international flights have had these aisle chairs. I drive my chair to the plane door and it is taken to the hold and enter the plane by aisle chair.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:34 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Another article states that she was falling over in the chair so they used the blanket. Honestly a blanket is no different from a strap (which they requested).

The real kicker is that the son started a “go fund me” page about this that was later taken down, and the family complained about a “similar but more severe” incident on a previous flight and Delta refunded their tickets.

So maybe there is more to the story here. The go fund me and the fact that the son said “they refunded our tickets last time” — fishy.

https://www.ajc.com/business/treatme...8f1qKfrQJPhHP/
Quote:
Nathan Saliagas said his family experienced a “similar and more severe incident” a couple of years ago, and Delta refunded the fares. This time, he said Delta offered 20,000 miles and told him they would not issue a refund. “That’s highly unethical,” Saliagas said in an e-mail. “It seemed as if the issue was being justified.”
There is the real problem. Their little scam for a free flight didn't work, this time. Then they tried to start a Gofundme to pay for the flight, and that didn't work. They are not happy having to pay for the flight.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 04-26-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events