U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Was she lured away or did she willingly leave? The article is pretty vague on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
is there a difference?
I think there is. I was her same age when a small group of us were skipping class & walked about 2 blocks away to a convenience store.

This biker (late 30's?) pulled up out front while we were all inside & I told my friends: "Hey; you see that biker on that Harley? I'm going to go take a ride with him ..."

And they were all freaked out & telling me he was going to kidnap me or rape me or something but I was unfazed & walked up to him saying: "I like your bike; can you take me for a ride?"

I will never be the one to argue that as a teenager; I should never have survived myself. This was long before the days of cell phones, let alone social media. He didn't seek me out & he didn't lure me but he sure as heck didn't turn me away.

He did say something like "I sure hope I don't get in trouble for this, Jailbait!" And I tried to tell him "I'm not jailbait!" (I was 15: I was jailbait)

And no; nothing "bad" happened, depending on your definition of bad. I got dropped off at the same convenience store about an hour later & my friends were still there waiting for me, huddled behind the store & I got lectured by a bunch of stoners who suddenly sounded like Moms: "What if, what if, what if ..?"

In a court of law, had "something bad" happened, I suppose it would have been all on him. But I knew better than that & so did my peers. I don't think the emergence of social media makes a difference. Legally; any banter between the two of them would evidence "luring" on his part but she shouldn't get a victim's pass per the court of public opinion.

It took me about a split second to catch on to how to play the false narrative to my advantage when I was a kid. Why be dumb when I could be "vulnerable; with low self-esteem". Why would I own up to doing something super lame & stupid when it could be "acting out with a cry for help"?

This is pretty dangerous, IMO. It doesn't matter anymore that "It wasn't my responsibility; I'm the victim!" if I'm dead in a dumpster. A lot of women & girls won't get a chance to be a hashtaghero, despite how it "should" be. That's just not how it is.

Last edited by toosie; 04-30-2018 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Edited out asterisked profanity
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 03:08 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,334,142 times
Quote:
I can't understand why she was allowed to leave school. That seems to be the weak link....
I was at my son's school one day wen they went on lock down and no one could leave the building. It wasn't a pleasant experience and definitely not something I'd care to have done at my child's school every day.
Sometimes I feel like we expect schools do do a better job of controlling our kids than we do.
Instead of saying schools need to step up and educate kids about these dangers, why don't we first ask why the parents aren't doing this at home?
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events