U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,082,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
A 180-bed facility can pay all of its staff: Enough staff for 180 residents. Nursing & ancillary, with just 18 beds filled at $8,000/month.

Long-term care is a VERY profit oriented industry. My first job out of nursing school was in a LTC center. It was myself & 4 CNAís for almost 60 residents on the 3-11 shift & in Colorado, at that time, CNAís were not med certified.

In the 2 years I was there they went through about 5 DONs (directors of nursing) & 3 corporate takeovers.

That was 26 years ago & I can still remember my patients first names & their family members too but I swore I would never go back to long term care. There were a few consistently lazy employees there but the majority of us tried to take care of our patients the same way we would want our loved ones cared for but it was a set up to fail.

Administration knew it & they couldnít care less. I flat out told them that we were all in a very unsafe environment; patients & staff alike. It didnít matter. I was in my mid-20ís & threw my back out lifting patients 3 times & my water broke at only 24 weeks along, in a patients room, when I was pregnant with my first set of twins.

What happened to this poor lady is horrific & inexcusable but I canít say that I am surprised.
Ain't capitalism grand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 AM

30,785 posts, read 9,209,031 times
Interesting that the family is suing now--they didn't see evidence of her neglect? Or is it that they didn't visit her?

And the gar-baghe about nursing home staff's pay--give me a very large break.

Everyone failed this poor woman.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:48 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,082,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Interesting that the family is suing now--they didn't see evidence of her neglect? Or is it that they didn't visit her?
The linked article sucks, but, no, that's not the case.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:13 PM

17,479 posts, read 14,970,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

And the gar-baghe about nursing home staff's pay--give me a very large break.

Everyone failed this poor woman.
Of course staff is responsible, but it is still true nursing home pay is woefully inadequate, which results in a lot of turnover and inconsistent care. I make good money as a therapist in skilled nursing facilities but I think CNA work is harder and they deserve more. If they paid more than the local Walmart, they could get better employees. As it is CNA is a very tough and often thankless job with little reward.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:22 PM

11,702 posts, read 13,156,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You mean the family that never ever visited her? Scabies is very visible and itchy. If anyone had been visiting this woman, they would have known there was a problem. If they didn't care enough about her when she was alive, I can't see any reason for them to get a windfall from her death.
Good god! she was being eaten alive....surely she must have been abandoned by her family if she had reached this condition unreported.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,988,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Nope. She did not sign a waiver nor did any one in the family. We complained about it when we were visiting (from out of state) because we found food in her room. They said they did not know how it got there and assured us that although "she complains" they follow her diet as prescribed and she was assisted during mealtimes as required.

Bottom line is they did not follow guidelines. If she insisted on the food, the very least they could have done was to assist her as they were suppose to. There was no staff in the dining room when she choked.

My grandmother had the same issue as your talking about and she flat out told us she wasn't going to live on a liquid diet and ended up with pneumonia from aspirating on food died a few weeks later. I spoke to her about it she had a sound mind she told me she didn't want any intervention she was 95 years old all of her family, friends and my grandfather passed on she was the youngest. She wanted to let nature takes it's course what ever was going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or