U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:05 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It won't even see a courtroom as it will be settled and for a large sum of money. The family is entitled to compensation. This is an undeniable case of negligence in healthcare.
Why should family members benefit from this horrible situation? If there is family, in my opinion they are not entitled to a single dollar of compensation (unless the spouse or children are themselves severely disabled, such as also receiving care of a similar nature.). Family has a moral duty to take turns checking on their relative to ensure things like this do not happen. Also, the state of Georgia and local government must accept some blame for not checking on these suffering human beings.

There should be a large civil settlement in addition to criminal indictments, of course, but the financial beneficiaries should be other patients in a similar situation, perhaps a fund, to hire more and more competent inspectors to check frequently and help ensure this does not happen to other people.

I want to see criminal charges brought and the owners, administrators and those who "cared for" the patient made to suffer. I am very much anti a "lock 'em up" attitude in general; however, in this case, jail time is appropriate for those who allowed this cruelty to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 03:16 PM

6,779 posts, read 6,854,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think it needs to be a competition between low wage workers. I’m not going to fault any workers from trying to be given a living wage from corporations that are making huge profits and giving the lions share to the top 1% of their employees. One has nothing to do with the other. Fast good workers organized, all workers in any field can do the same.

It’s not like if fast food workers make more CNAs earn less. Giving low wage workers more in one industry actuallt actually tends to raise wages for low wage workers across the board.
I agree. Not everyone is cut out for college or skilled work. Not everyone can get a better job, there are many reasons for this. This doesn't mean they deserve to earn less than a living wage for full time work. We've always had and always will have lower classes but they used to earn enough to survive. I grew up in a working class neighborhood and I had neighbors who worked at the local grocery store, an A&P. They earned enough to own a very small house, an older car and were able to raise their children. Their lives were modest but they had enough to get by and did not receive or need welfare. It used to be companies paid enough for people to live on and the government did not need to cover for businesses paying less than living wages.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:25 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,772,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here is an article that talks about the highly contagious scabies which is a mite, and nursing homes....https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#395532d26418

I seem to remember my Dr. offering a vaccination against this....unless I'm confusing this with another medical issue we old folks are being inoculated against. Anyone else remember the list of many inoculations being offered? I am certainly going to check with my Dr.

ETA Decided to research....Here is a list recommended by CDC with a pdf of the list in article. https://www.vaccines.gov/who_and_whe...ors/index.html
Yes, there are many anti-parasitic vaccines available for pets & livestock but nothing for humans, not in the US, at least.

I believe they have done trials on a Malaria vaccine but Iíve yet to see it be offered commercially.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 PM

4,817 posts, read 2,344,925 times
retirement homes are so sad sometimes. A good family friend of ours (moms friend) was a independent nice caring man. HE had a stroke at 75 and was not on good terms with his children. They put him in a retirement home and he ended up getting skin issues and problems. My mom would always go there when she could and would make sure that he was cleaned and taken care of. He ended up signing over his POT to his kids and they abandoned him. He withered away within 1 year and passed. My mom always had to get supervisors to address issues of different degrees. These people in these places SIMPLY DONT CARE

Old 04-29-2018, 09:40 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,962,296 times
Ill bet the family hadn't been to see her in months or maybe longer typical of family they dump parents off in a home and move on with their lives. This is exactly why I'm in favor of assisted suicide because family is quick to forget reality is in America once kids are in their 30's raising children working they have their own lives they long forgot about Mom and dad call them once a month maybe they move out of state.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:45 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Ill bet the family hadn't been to see her in months or maybe longer typical of family they dump parents off in a home and move on with their lives. This is exactly why I'm in favor of assisted suicide because family is quick to forget reality is in America once kids are in their 30's raising children working they have their own lives they long forgot about Mom and dad call them once a month maybe they move out of state.

^^^^^^^^^
This is why I will NEVER be in a nursing home-- IYKWIM

Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
retirement homes are so sad sometimes. A good family friend of ours (moms friend) was a independent nice caring man. HE had a stroke at 75 and was not on good terms with his children. They put him in a retirement home and he ended up getting skin issues and problems. My mom would always go there when she could and would make sure that he was cleaned and taken care of. He ended up signing over his POT to his kids and they abandoned him. He withered away within 1 year and passed. My mom always had to get supervisors to address issues of different degrees. These people in these places SIMPLY DONT CARE
It's too late for the old gentleman, but no one should feel that they are obliged to leave an inheritance to anyone who does not treat them well, and that includes their own children. The time to ensure that one's money does not enrich the lives of those who have burdened one is ASAP.

Donate the money to a charity or whatever or whomever you like, but don't feel obligated to leave money to anyone who does not deserve it.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:02 PM

6,779 posts, read 6,854,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't think most people do abandon their parents. When my mom passed suddenly I moved back to the hometown I hated to be there for my father who had health issues and stayed with him until he passed 7 years later. That said, I am also in favor of assisted suicide when people are suffering. People should have the right to end their lives and maintain their dignity when they are terminally ill. I can think of nothing worse than being kept alive by machines or suffering in agony and needing constant care to live a few extra months lying in a bed.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:30 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,962,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I don't think most people do abandon their parents. When my mom passed suddenly I moved back to the hometown I hated to be there for my father who had health issues and stayed with him until he passed 7 years later. That said, I am also in favor of assisted suicide when people are suffering. People should have the right to end their lives and maintain their dignity when they are terminally ill. I can think of nothing worse than being kept alive by machines or suffering in agony and needing constant care to live a few extra months lying in a bed.
My mother lives less then 1 mile from me she stays with us most weekends she is in her 80's even co-workers will tell my wife "I can't believe you let her stay with you every weekend". It's very common for wife's to not get along with MIL's lot of conflict there I don't know your situation sounds like your single. Maybe easier to up and move take care of someone every family I know typical of a single sibling to move in with Mom or dad take care of them while rest see them once a year.

What I always find amusing is how people who haven't seen their parent in years will fly across the country to go to their funeral, so they can find out what was left to them it's sad but common it's best not to live too long all I can say hope you don't get hurt. My neighbor he just lost his wife to cancer 2 years ago in her early 70's his daughter married some man from another country she moved there last month her father flew there said it was 17 hour flight for her wedding he thought even in 1st class would be able to fly but it was impossible. Now he has no one to take care of him he has surgery's has to hire people to stay with him while he recovers. One thing I notice also common is a house keeper will become the elderly's care taker for the last 15 or so years once they die kids come in and collect the money and house keeper ends up with some old furniture junk the kids don't want.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:02 AM

760 posts, read 1,421,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
......That said, I am also in favor of assisted suicide when people are suffering. People should have the right to end their lives and maintain their dignity when they are terminally ill.
I can think of nothing worse than being kept alive by machines or suffering in agony and needing constant care to live a few extra months lying in a bed.
I can only hope that in a few decades this becomes more acceptable and perfectly legal choice! Like many other, previously highly controversial issues, had recently joined main-stream.

To those say "Well, but what stops a person from doing /regular/ suicide?" - well, even inmates on death row can not be executed with "undue suffering", so why should normal people have to end their lives in pain and prolonged agony? (With a good chance that it might not even work out as planned)

Also, why their family should suffer such a horrific tragedy - as opposed to pre-planned, dignified departure??We plan so many other things in life... even birth, these days, can be pretty much "scheduled"! Why not death? I just don't see why we still have to be violently yanked out of this life when we least expect, when no one is ready, with nothing but shock and grief left behind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or