U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,157,374 times

Advertisements

He must like it in jail better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:56 PM

3,980 posts, read 2,968,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This should also be a lesson in situation awareness: don't talk on your phone while you're on foot because you might lose awareness of what's going on around you. I see people listening to headphones while riding their bike, texting while driving, etc. Why can't people just concentrate on the task at hand and arrive safe? He probably saw a distracted victim and decided she'd be easy prey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
It's said that pain will not stop a determined focused psychopath. But a disabling injury will. Like an elbow to the Adams apple. A boot to the kneecap.

Distracted walking (she was yakking on her phone) just invites these creeps, too. People need to pay attention to their surroundings, bad stuff can happen.
Yeah, because if no women happened to be talking on their phones or wearing headphones, this guy would have just gone home and taken up knitting and not tried to rape anyone ever.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,162,577 times
More gun debate posts deleted. Ignoring Terms of Service, forum posting guidelines, and moderation is considered trolling and can lead to infractions and posting restrictions. You may make gun rights comments over at Politics and Other Controversies - not here.

Last edited by toosie; 05-01-2018 at 03:46 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 AM

9,426 posts, read 5,213,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I dont believe this man is mentally ill and I hope he doesnt get set free on that excuse. I was a victim of attempted rape and my attacker behaved in the exact same manner. The rapist gets so focused on his victim even though there is another person beating the heck out of him from behind he wont stop. Like a pit bull whos latched onto his prey.

But I have a feeling he will be confined for a little while only because this has gotten Media attention. Hell see a psychologist for a little while and then hell be out on the streets where hell attack someone else.
Attempts a rape in broad daylight. When it failed he pulled down his pants and masturbated. Then he charged the officer and when it was over had a blank expressionless stare as if nothing happened.

Yeah, nothing here at all that would indicate mental illness.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 889,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I am considering buying a taser gun for protection. It has gotten to a point where I no longer feel safe going for a walk regardless of where I am.
Is this just a symptom of paranoia or have you experienced actual threats from your community? If it's paranoia I would suggest that you stop feeding it by, for a start, getting rid of your TV.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:40 AM

1,439 posts, read 512,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I am considering buying a taser gun for protection. It has gotten to a point where I no longer feel safe going for a walk regardless of where I am.
If you can do so, there is nothing wrong with it. It may give you some peace of mind. Unfortunately, there are few places where women are safe.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:07 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,615,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
It's said that pain will not stop a determined focused psychopath. But a disabling injury will. Like an elbow to the Adams apple. A boot to the kneecap.

Distracted walking (she was yakking on her phone) just invites these creeps, too. People need to pay attention to their surroundings, bad stuff can happen.
Long ago we hired a security consultant to help us ensure we had reasonable security measures when we lived in a somewhat rough city. One of the thinks he said is when you answer the door, be on your phone or pretend to be. That is because bag guys are reluctant to attack someone ont he phone since the person ont he other end of the line will immediately call the police. When someone attacks someone they normally want at least a little time before the attack is discovered. Being on the phone can actually provide some added security since you are connected to a person who can summon help and who is not in range to be controlled by the attacker.

It depends on the circumstances and someone on the phone should still try to stay aware of their surroundings, but being ont he phone with someone who knows where you are, is safer than walking alone in a secluded place. IN fact, it seems it may be safer than walking alone in a non secluded place since if you ell for help people may just ignore you, but your friend on the phone will at least call 911.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:44 AM

4,034 posts, read 3,269,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I could be way off base, but my first thought when I looked at his photo was that he looks like he is developmentally disabled.
I'm a licensed professional counselor, and I wouldn't attempt to diagnose someone as developmentally disabled based on a photograph rather than on a battery of psychological tests. Your comment is indeed way off base.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:28 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,155,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People are trying to turn this into a crime and punishment issue, but even the authorities are saying this is a major failing in mental health care.
It is not an either/or situation. Like most phenomena, it is both/and ... both/and ... both/and ...

Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,264,474 times
Clearly mentally ill. He will finally get treatment - in prison, instead of in a mental health hospital.

We need to bring back public mental health institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or