Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:11 AM

13,237 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised someone actually helped this woman instead of standing there with their phones recording it so they could make some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Maybe he will get some serious time after all he did assault an officer. You notice in the article that that assault comes before the attempted rape charge.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
I am considering buying a taser gun for protection. It has gotten to a point where I no longer feel safe going for a walk regardless of where I am.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a nasty demented creep! Scary that it took so long for someone to come help despite her screaming for her life.

Bystanders stopped man from raping woman, police say | The Sacramento Bee
We don't really know how long it took bystanders to respond.

In her FB post, the victim first "estimated 2 minutes" before the first passerby stopped and then later in that same post said "No one came to my rescue for maybe almost 5 mins". When you're fighting for your life, 30 seconds can feel like a lifetime.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Practically anyone who attacks and rapes another person has some form of mental illness, IMO.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:57 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People are trying to turn this into a crime and punishment issue, but even the authorities are saying this is a major failing in mental health care.
No it isn't. This guy should have not been released. Mental health is an empty promise that really means expensively doing nothing.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:07 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
No it isn't. This guy should have not been released. Mental health is an empty promise that really means expensively doing nothing.
He was picked up for loitering the previous day. Should we just lock someone up and throw away the key for that? He wasn't released with the charge of rape and then went and tried to rape someone. He was arrested and shortly detained for loitering.

If we had good mental health care, maybe he would have been closely examined and he might have gotten a psych hold. But that didn't happen. Seems like there were warning signs. But no follow through.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM

398 posts, read 381,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This should also be a lesson in situation awareness: don't talk on your phone while you're on foot because you might lose awareness of what's going on around you. I see people listening to headphones while riding their bike, texting while driving, etc. Why can't people just concentrate on the task at hand and arrive safe? He probably saw a distracted victim and decided she'd be easy prey.
I have constantly seen people walk around in big cities at nighttime with headphones on. Shocking to me. Recipe for disaster. Easy victim to be mugged.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:13 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
multiple posts deleted. Current events isn’t the forum to discuss gun rights or pit bulls.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:35 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
I could be way off base, but my first thought when I looked at his photo was that he looks like he is developmentally disabled.

How does one treat a homeless person who may be operating alone in the world, fully grown, and with the desires and strength of a man, but with the intelligence and emotional capacity of say a 4 or 5 year old?

Like how a child in a grocery store just grabs stuff he wants. It's very sad to think about such things.

I'm glad someone did help and prevent a tragedy from happening to the woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events