Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:15 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b055fd7fced624

They took ten years of this girl's life, this is especially since they are rich enough that they could have PAID for servants if they wanted.

For every year they took from this girl they should spend 5 years in a prison cleaning toilets and living dank rat infested cell.

“Throughout the years ... the defendants forced the victim to labor in their home for long hours without pay,” the Justice Department said in an April 26 press release. “The defendants required her to cook, clean, do the laundry, perform yard work, and paint, as well as care for their five children.”

To make matters worse, the cops once found this girl free in a park and returned her to the house of her enslavers.

"A 2002 police report obtained by The Washington Post indicates a Southlake police officer once found the girl sleeping on a bench at Bicentennial Park. She was “wearing dirty unkempt clothing and was very visibly scared and nervous,” the officer wrote. The cop, who suspected the girl was a runaway, returned her to the Toure residence."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 PM

406 posts, read 624,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b055fd7fced624

For every year they took from this girl they should spend 5 years in a prison cleaning toilets and living dank rat infested cell.
It looks like they only face 20 years and that is assuming they are given the maximum penalty.

I would be more curious how they obtained this girl in the first place.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:38 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
It looks like they only face 20 years and that is assuming they are given the maximum penalty.

Probably passed her off at their child. A similar thing happened in my area.

Katy Couple Allegedly Kept Nigerian Woman As Slave | Houston Press

Old 04-30-2018, 07:42 PM

406 posts, read 624,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Probably passed her off at their child. A similar thing happened in my area.

Katy Couple Allegedly Kept Nigerian Woman As Slave | Houston Press
I'm sure they did pass her off as their child, but who were the biological parents? Law enforcement should investigate carefully if the girl was obtained from a human trafficking ring. There could be many more children in her predicament as we speak.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
From the linked article:

Quote:
Toure and his wife are natives of Guinea, and he is the son of Guinea’s first president, Ahmed Sekou Toure,
They're just doing what they're used to doing back home, in Guinea, it seems.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
We had a somewhat similar case in my city, too. The wealthy couple was from a different country and they tried to fight the charges. They had kept an adult woman as a slave (unpaid, on-call 24/7, unpaid worker) for about fifteen years. They held her passport and she was not allowed to leave the house unless she was with either the husband or the wife. The wealthy couple insisted that since they gave her food and a place to sleep it was totally fair and legal. The said that was the way it worked in their home country and that "there were lots of people who do that in the US." Hmmm.

I recall that they only received "a slap on the wrist" when they voluntarily agreed to leave the US.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:22 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post

They got her in their home country and these two are offspring of elites. It likely was not difficult to obtain this young girl as a toddler.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:14 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
It's happened in Irvine, CA. I suspect it occurs in a number of upper-middle income communities with a large immigrant population:

‘Now is the time. I must escape’: Woman recounts life as a slave in O.C.
https://www.ocregister.com/2015/05/0...a-slave-in-oc/

Saudi woman arrested in alleged Irvine domestic slavery case - latimes

There's also the problem of sex-trafficking, and it also happens across the US:

Irvine mother and daughter accused of operating a national prostitution ring
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-irving-prostitution-minnesota-20170331-story.html

Global Sex Trafficking Ring Busted In One Of America’s ‘Happiest,’ ‘Safest’ Cities
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/03/30/massive-international-sex-trafficking-ring-based-in-irvine-busted/

Last edited by pacific2; 05-01-2018 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Slavery is endemic throughout Africa, the Arab world, parts of South Asia and East Asia, and probably more regions of the world. This is part of their culture, and, at least, a sanctioned part of Islam as it is practiced in much of the world, although it's certainly not exclusive to Islam. These people surely did not see this as anything wrong - the girl had food and a roof over her head, and lived in better circumstances than they thought she would have, had she been left with her family. In fact, wealthy immigrant families from much of the world pass off their household slaves as their children, and bring them with them when they immigrate, so that the slave will continue to work as unpaid slave labor in their homes in the USA. Read Alex Tizon's account of his upper middle class (in America) Filipino immigrant family's household slave, whom they brought to the US with them, to continue to be their slave for virtually her entire life.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-story/524490/

This is very common amongst diplomats from the third world who are here in the US, and wherever they are posted abroad. If caught, they claim diplomatic immunity and get off scot free.

Yes, it's horrible. It's criminal - here. It's NOT considered criminal in much of the third world, where just giving the slave enough food, shelter, and clothing to keep her/him alive to work for you (in EVERY capacity, including sexual slavery) is considered generous - because in their home countries, stealing another person's life and forcing them to work for you, is not a crime.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
A great, relevant essay: "My Family's Slave"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events