U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Status: "Pit bulls killed 6 people in October alone - BSL NOW!" (set 5 hours ago)

1,156 posts, read 329,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
You completely misunderstood me.

Death and the sometimes-agonizing dying process are two separate things. We shouldn't have to endure the latter to achieve the former, just because society has decided that's the way it should be.

We wouldn't put of beloved pets through the agony of death pain we demand from humans.

Just let me die peacefully and painfree on my terms, not someone elses.
Well said. It is such a shame this man has to go to such lengths to have the death he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 AM

8,099 posts, read 3,921,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
You completely misunderstood me.

Death and the sometimes-agonizing dying process are two separate things. We shouldn't have to endure the latter to achieve the former, just because society has decided that's the way it should be.

We wouldn't put of beloved pets through the agony of death pain we demand from humans.

Just let me die peacefully and painfree on my terms, not someone elses.
Oh! Okay! I'm sorry, I did misunderstand. Thank you for clarifying.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM

379 posts, read 181,057 times
I don't get it? Any of us could end our lives right now with a bottle of sleeping pills. Why involve doctors? I almost wonder if these folks don't want to commit suicide but would rather a doctor end their life so that in the eyes of God its not considered suicide ? Just, wow.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:35 AM

8,099 posts, read 3,921,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
I don't get it? Any of us could end our lives right now with a bottle of sleeping pills. Why involve doctors? I almost wonder if these folks don't want to commit suicide but would rather a doctor end their life so that in the eyes of God its not considered suicide ? Just, wow.
Do you know how many people have tried to end their life with a bottle of pills (or some other method) and failed because they don't have specific knowledge of exactly what is required? Then they end up in worse shape or on a suicide hold and are risk being declared incompetent to make their own decisions. Whereas if it's physician assisted, they're going to use controlled means and ensure that there are no problems in achieving the desired result.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,515,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Do you know how many people have tried to end their life with a bottle of pills (or some other method) and failed because they don't have specific knowledge of exactly what is required? Then they end up in worse shape or on a suicide hold and are risk being declared incompetent to make their own decisions. Whereas if it's physician assisted, they're going to use controlled means and ensure that there are no problems in achieving the desired result.
That is another issue. It isn't easy to kill someone. Think about all the scandals with lethal injection. I think that is another big issue to consider.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 AM

8,818 posts, read 2,433,366 times
Quote:
I'm a firm believer that under certain circumstances (terminal illness or reaching advanced age, such as his case), people should be allowed to choose physician-assisted suicide.

In our country, it's perfectly acceptable to write a medical directive that says you refuse a feeding tube, and basically starve yourself to death (which is a horrific way to go, btw), but you can't choose a more humane way to achieve the same result. I will never understand the logic behind that.
The "logic" is from various religious influences....you know, the kind of people who like to tell everyone else how to live and die (except they and their brethren can "sin" and be forgiven)....

It's sad that the old dude has to fly 1/2 way around the world to achieve a single deed with dignity.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
It's very easy to kill someone or yourself with carbon monoxide and/or other methods.

Pills are obviously not the correct way.

But, yeah, I'd prefer having someone there who knew how to properly end life "just in case".

Old 05-03-2018, 11:16 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,151,413 times
There's just something very sad about this to me. Disregarding the questions about the legality or the morality of assisted suicide . . . it just seems sad that this man has lived a longer life span than 99.99% of his fellow humans, and then chooses to artificially end it instead of letting nature take its course.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
"Eyes of God"? Honestly, I doubt it.....it would take quite a warped world view to think:

1. That there are such things as (actual) Pearly Gates
2. That when one arrives there, the Doctors Credentials are carefully checked and are up-to-date. Who knows, maybe it was Pill Mill doc who had his license suspended?

The same God(s) are OK with sacrifices and slavery and such things, so it's hard to imagine they judge each individual case. For example, if someone in horrible pain starves themselves, is that suicide in the Eyes of God? If they refuse their regular meds, which makes them die, is that suicide?

If they drive their motorcycle at 100MPH while drunk, does that count?

These are questions of human reason, ethics and logic.

I wonder what the "Eyes of God" think of the 1000's of War Veterans in the USA killing themselves? One can guess they are doing so due to experiences which they were put into by older men in Political Office.

It's a complicated subject. Throughout history many have killed themselves as an alternative to being captured into slavery...and many other such reasons.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:23 AM

24,755 posts, read 59,722,041 times
They should have a focused specialization and only those who chose that specialization can perform the procedure. That way we do not get doctors sued for refusing to do it, or movements created to force all doctors to perform this on request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events