U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:23 AM

8,100 posts, read 3,927,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's very easy to kill someone or yourself with carbon monoxide and/or other methods.

Pills are obviously not the correct way.

But, yeah, I'd prefer having someone there who knew how to properly end life "just in case".
There's also the shame and stigma of doing it secretly by yourself by locking yourself in the garage with a running car, as opposed to doing it in a civilized manner with dignity. Of course that means little to the person who will be dead, but it's a lot to saddle loved ones with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
There's just something very sad about this to me. Disregarding the questions about the legality or the morality of assisted suicide . . . it just seems sad that this man has lived a longer life span than 99.99% of his fellow humans, and then chooses to artificially end it instead of letting nature take its course.
What benefit is there to him to let nature "take its course" when he's probably living his life in pain?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 AM

72,953 posts, read 64,436,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
I don't get it? Any of us could end our lives right now with a bottle of sleeping pills. Why involve doctors? I almost wonder if these folks don't want to commit suicide but would rather a doctor end their life so that in the eyes of God its not considered suicide ? Just, wow.
It's not that easy, with sleeping pills. It doesn't always work. People end up in the hospital, having their stomachs pumped, if they're found in time, for one thing.

I wish the article had gone into more detail, about his current condition, and what his reasoning is, for wanting to check out at this point in time. He said he's in good health, basically, but I gather he's become infirm...? (He was in a wheelchair in the photo, I think?). Is this a case, where he wants to go, before his body deteriorates further, and some kind of painful condition sets in? Or is it a case, in which he feels he doesn't have much enjoyment of life left? No friends, only a couple of family members, nothing to do all day? No more sense of purpose left? Boredom? Difficulty managing daily functions? I'd like to get a better understanding of the whole picture.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,364,442 times
Not news to me. 7 billion people on this planet, who cares if a random Aussie decided to off himself? His choice, good for him, nothing to see here. 110 people died in dust storms in India yesterday and that barely made the news.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Not news to me. 7 billion people on this planet, who cares if a random Aussie decided to off himself? His choice, good for him, nothing to see here. 110 people died in dust storms in India yesterday and that barely made the news.
It's news because it calls attention to the issue of the lack of availability of assisted death in cases of terminal illness or advanced age. Perhaps no one you care about has ever been in this position so it doesn't seem like a big issue to you.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:10 PM

72,953 posts, read 64,436,469 times
Quote:

Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM

21,077 posts, read 15,376,596 times
It's his body and choice. If he doesn't want to continue, he doesn't have to. It's a shame that society cannot do this humanely.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 PM

16,805 posts, read 9,510,087 times
Quote:
I don't get it? Any of us could end our lives right now with a bottle of sleeping pills. Why involve doctors? I almost wonder if these folks don't want to commit suicide but would rather a doctor end their life so that in the eyes of God its not considered suicide ? Just, wow.
Perhaps it's because all the attendant stuff like body discovery and funeral arrangements then become a problem for innocent people to handle and he didn't want that?

Death with dignity involves more than just the dying part. It very often involves how the follow-up is handled. What unpleasant tasks you might have left for others to deal with, from finding you to disposing of you.

This way it's all pre-arranged and no one gets a nasty surprise.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM

1,612 posts, read 571,585 times
Quote:
I don't get it? Any of us could end our lives right now with a bottle of sleeping pills. Why involve doctors?
Yes.

Why involve a medical professional, when you an just wing it and hope it works... and that you don't end up horribly injured but still alive?

What a mystery...

Quote:
Considering the fact that society abounds with people who want to deny others this option, yes, it is news - no matter how much you bizarrely object to the topic.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:35 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,643,445 times
Quote:
This is not a painless and sure way of taking your life. People don't just swallow the pills and die. It takes hours, and those hours can be agonizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events