U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,912 posts, read 22,491,443 times
Reputation: 32768

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
I don't get it? Any of us could end our lives right now with a bottle of sleeping pills. Why involve doctors? I almost wonder if these folks don't want to commit suicide but would rather a doctor end their life so that in the eyes of God its not considered suicide ? Just, wow.
I answered this question on the Retirement Forum where there is another discussion going on about this. You need a doctor to prescribe powerful drugs first to knock the person out then a second that with kill them. The doctor has nothing to do with the actual administration of the pills or the death itself other than writing the prescription. OTC drugs like sleeping pills or pain killers would only cause a person to die a slow, agonizing death.

I know two people with terminal illnesses who signed up for assisted suicide under the Death With Dignity Act in Oregon. They both died before they could use the pills, sometimes people do. They can ask for the meds at any time they are diagnosed with a terminal illness. It's up to them when they choose to take them after they have their prescriptions. It's a great comfort to those in that stage of illness though to know they have control over the pain and agony they suffer to be able to end it before it overtakes them to the point where they are writhing in pain and no amount of morphine can help.

These prescription meds are quick and painless according to the medical profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2018, 03:11 PM
 
2,384 posts, read 6,089,632 times
Reputation: 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Sorry, but I will never see beauty in slow painful agonizing death. I often wonder if people with that sort of romanticized view have ever actually watched someone die?
We went threw it with our son,age 30 brain cancer we stood by for final month 7am to 10pm,his death was April 14th 1990 at 3:30pm when the ventilator was turned,kidneys failed.
The sad thing is he had his ducks in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 09:24 PM
 
1,338 posts, read 640,060 times
Reputation: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
I don't get it? Any of us could end our lives right now with a bottle of sleeping pills. Why involve doctors? I almost wonder if these folks don't want to commit suicide but would rather a doctor end their life so that in the eyes of God its not considered suicide ? Just, wow.
Doctors have access to drugs that can provide an easy, humane death for people. Non-doctors don't. People could also pull their own teeth with a pair of pliers, but most prefer to rely on a specialist.

The article also states he attempted to commit suicide but ended up in the hospital in psychiatric care instead. Which is the same situation as here in the US where (afaik) psychiatric evaluation is mandatory for attempted suicides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 12:35 AM
 
2,224 posts, read 761,555 times
Reputation: 3766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Nobody has the right to insist that we die on their time table by their instructions. That we gave all that power to society (neighbors) is beyond my scope of understanding.

Death is as natural as life. Only when we stop fearing it will we see the beauty in it.
No, death is part of the curse. Fear of death is as instinctual as breathing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 12:54 AM
 
2,224 posts, read 761,555 times
Reputation: 3766
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's also the shame and stigma of doing it secretly by yourself by locking yourself in the garage with a running car, as opposed to doing it in a civilized manner with dignity. Of course that means little to the person who will be dead, but it's a lot to saddle loved ones with.
Very good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 12:59 AM
 
2,224 posts, read 761,555 times
Reputation: 3766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not that easy, with sleeping pills. It doesn't always work. People end up in the hospital, having their stomachs pumped, if they're found in time, for one thing.

I wish the article had gone into more detail, about his current condition, and what his reasoning is, for wanting to check out at this point in time. He said he's in good health, basically, but I gather he's become infirm...? (He was in a wheelchair in the photo, I think?). Is this a case, where he wants to go, before his body deteriorates further, and some kind of painful condition sets in? Or is it a case, in which he feels he doesn't have much enjoyment of life left? No friends, only a couple of family members, nothing to do all day? No more sense of purpose left? Boredom? Difficulty managing daily functions? I'd like to get a better understanding of the whole picture.
The article said that his health was deteriorating. Which is expected at his age. So he probably wanted to head it off at the pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 01:50 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,029 posts, read 1,792,731 times
Reputation: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Not news to me. 7 billion people on this planet, who cares if a random Aussie decided to off himself? His choice, good for him, nothing to see here. 110 people died in dust storms in India yesterday and that barely made the news.
It's not news.

It's an article under CNN's "Wellness" category & they & most every other news outlet was supplied with it by Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc. It's mass media; they like the "Right to Die/Death with Dignity" agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wish the article had gone into more detail, about his current condition, and what his reasoning is, for wanting to check out at this point in time. He said he's in good health, basically, but I gather he's become infirm...? (He was in a wheelchair in the photo, I think?). Is this a case, where he wants to go, before his body deteriorates further, and some kind of painful condition sets in? Or is it a case, in which he feels he doesn't have much enjoyment of life left? No friends, only a couple of family members, nothing to do all day? No more sense of purpose left? Boredom? Difficulty managing daily functions? I'd like to get a better understanding of the whole picture.
He's a 20-year member of a "Right to Die" organization (the same one that will be killing him), Exit International. It's run by his "friend" of also 20 years; a (former) Dr Nitschke, who burnt his medical license in 2015 to protest the fact that doctors are ordered to "do no harm".

Most of the "news" articles quote Mr. Nitschke more than they do Mr. Goodall. He: "said it was a shame Prof Goodall had to undertake an arduous trip to have a peaceful death at the time of his choosing."

Exit International set up a GoFundMe account to buy the "esteemed scientist" business class airfare to Switzerland. The crowd-funding was a strategic move to increase visibility.

He has no terminal diagnosis nor chronic disease. He says he's "not happy". Easy reframing: "Media exploits 104-year-old man with Depression to sway Public Opinion in favor of Euthanasia."

Being old is actually not a guaranteed experience of horrible pain, incontinence & tortured dementia.

Being old is not a burden & it's a shame that Seniors feel this way. In my book; you paid it forward by being a taxpayer, consumer or parent. Maybe you were an Artist? Worked in Healthcare? Smiled at babies & elderly? Led by example? Were compassionate to animals?

I understand; nobody cares about "my book". In fact, "my book" is a direct threat to how this topic is to be framed for the Court Of Public Opinion.

There are only nine years left during which this Opinion must be framed: Before the population bulge known as the Boomers will all be beneficiaries. If they don't think it was Their Great Idea; it's going to be bad for business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 03:05 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 1,121,465 times
Reputation: 1927
coulda saved alot of time and money by just getting some Nembutal tabs.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 03:07 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,944 posts, read 64,407,252 times
Reputation: 68847
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

He's a 20-year member of a "Right to Die" organization (the same one that will be killing him), Exit International. It's run by his "friend" of also 20 years; a (former) Dr Nitschke, who burnt his medical license in 2015 to protest the fact that doctors are ordered to "do no harm".

Most of the "news" articles quote Mr. Nitschke more than they do Mr. Goodall. He: "said it was a shame Prof Goodall had to undertake an arduous trip to have a peaceful death at the time of his choosing."

Exit International set up a GoFundMe account to buy the "esteemed scientist" business class airfare to Switzerland. The crowd-funding was a strategic move to increase visibility.

He has no terminal diagnosis nor chronic disease. He says he's "not happy". Easy reframing: "Media exploits 104-year-old man with Depression to sway Public Opinion in favor of Euthanasia."

Being old is actually not a guaranteed experience of horrible pain, incontinence & tortured dementia.

Being old is not a burden & it's a shame that Seniors feel this way. In my book; you paid it forward by being a taxpayer, consumer or parent. Maybe you were an Artist? Worked in Healthcare? Smiled at babies & elderly? Led by example? Were compassionate to animals?

I understand; nobody cares about "my book". In fact, "my book" is a direct threat to how this topic is to be framed for the Court Of Public Opinion.

There are only nine years left during which this Opinion must be framed: Before the population bulge known as the Boomers will all be beneficiaries. If they don't think it was Their Great Idea; it's going to be bad for business.
Yeah, I'm puzzled about this case. I need more info.

Granted, 104 is different from mid-90's, but I know a college professor who's still teaching and mentoring students, going strong in her mid-90's. This lady is sharp! And she loves her life. The professor featured in the article sounds like he was very productive and creative in his professional life, and even in retirement, IIRC (he published a timely book after retiring, I think the article said). I can't help but wonder what mental and physical state he's in, to take this step at this time. It does say, that his physical health and QOL are deteriorating, so I guess he wants to die before things get worse. That's all I've got. We don't know what he's going through, so... all we can do is trust his judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 04:12 PM
 
272 posts, read 124,665 times
Reputation: 513
Honestly, I don't see why this is such a big deal. People want to kill themselves, so what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top