U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:15 PM

3,999 posts, read 1,776,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Honestly, I don't see why this is such a big deal. People want to kill themselves, so what?
They don’t just want to kill themselves, they want someone else to do it for them. To prescribe &/or administer the pharmaceutical cocktail.

It’s strange (but not really), how many people are not aware that Disability Rights organizations strongly oppose assisted suicide. I suppose it’s not really all that strange because they are useless to mass media’s narrative & therefore, you would have to be looking for them.

William Peace is a father & a PhD in Anthropology from Columbia University. He has been wheelchair bound since the age of 18:

“For better or worse, many people think death is preferable to life with a disability. This sentiment has been expressed in a myriad of ways by physicians and strangers alike. I get it loud and clear. My life has less value in the eyes of many.”
Bad Cripple

Those for assisted suicide want it legally permissible, under a definition of what qualifies as a life not worth living. Many, many disabled would qualify for this “care”. The writer of the blog I am linking to in this post has for 40 years now; lived a life that those seeking assisted suicide are trying to avoid living.

“At least once a year a stranger will come up to me and state "I would rather be dead than use a wheelchair". Recently I read about a mother with a profoundly disabled child who had a stranger come up to her and state that her child was living proof euthanasia should be practiced. Every person with a disability I know has had these shocking experiences.”
Bad Cripple

In conjunction with proposed Medicare/Medicaid budget cuts; this is a very terrifying scenario. Who gets to set precedent on what sort of services a disabled person should get?

More than once, in the Caregiving sub forum, there have been threads regarding a despicable asset-grab under the pretense of “guardianship” that is victimizing elderly people. It’s legal, too.

Look. Part of me just wants to be grouchy & say “if you want to die; go die. Cut 6 hours off your flight & fly the friendly skies of Syria; they would probably make sure you are good & dead ... for free.”

In reality, every time there is a sanctioned & assisted death, it may be one step closer to the day they can take my disabled child with them.

In Oregon, there have already been concerns regarding “caregivers” doctor-shopping for the death cocktail for their charges, after being denied by other doctors, when it was noticed that the elderly person was suffering from Dementia & therefore was not in sound-mind to be requesting it for themselves. From same link above:

“Today Liz Carr wrote "Legalizing Assisted Dying his Dangerous for Disabled People" in the UK newspaper Guardian. Her article began:

‘If I said I wanted to die, the press, celebrities and the public would support my choice, seeing it as rational and understandable. Hell, they would probably set up a go-fund-me campaign to help me make it happen.Yet when a healthy, non-disabled person wants to kill themself it’s seen as a tragedy, and support and prevention tools are provided.

If nothing else convinces me that to legalise assisted suicide is not a safe option for many of us then this does. Suicide is not seen as socially desirable – so why is assisted suicide seen as compassionate when it’s for ill or disabled people?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 11:46 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,471,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/02/healt...ntl/index.html

Good on him for leaving the way he wants to and not the way he's forced to.
I'm not buying it. It sounds like he just wants attention, as most people who threaten suicide do. If he really wants to die, why announce it? Most people who really want to commit suicide, just do it. They don't talk about it. At his age, his life expectancy is only about 1.5 years anyway. Why waste all that money for something that is going to happen naturally by next year? Hopefully before he does anything rash, he will get some counselling, that he obviously needs.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 AM

7,971 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not buying it. It sounds like he just wants attention, as most people who threaten suicide do. If he really wants to die, why announce it? Most people who really want to commit suicide, just do it. They don't talk about it. At his age, his life expectancy is only about 1.5 years anyway. Why waste all that money for something that is going to happen naturally by next year? Hopefully before he does anything rash, he will get some counselling, that he obviously needs.
Yes he wants attention. He wants attention given to what he has to go through to die with dignity rather than continue to wither away. He doesn't need counseling. That won't change that he has no quality of life nor any hope for improvent to his quality of life. He feels that he shouldn't have to travel to the other side of the world to achieve a peaceful end. Personally, I agree with him.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 AM

12 posts, read 3,457 times
Quote:
Nobody has the right to insist that we die on their time table by their instructions.
No and the police should not try to stop someone if they want to end thier life!

Why is it up to them to try and make people stay?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:16 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,065,950 times
The irony would be that he died of old age before he even gets to switzerland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events