Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:30 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/02/healt...ntl/index.html

Good on him for leaving the way he wants to and not the way he's forced to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Nobody has the right to insist that we die on their time table by their instructions. That we gave all that power to society (neighbors) is beyond my scope of understanding.

Death is as natural as life. Only when we stop fearing it will we see the beauty in it.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
I'm a firm believer that under certain circumstances (terminal illness or reaching advanced age, such as his case), people should be allowed to choose physician-assisted suicide.

In our country, it's perfectly acceptable to write a medical directive that says you refuse a feeding tube, and basically starve yourself to death (which is a horrific way to go, btw), but you can't choose a more humane way to achieve the same result. I will never understand the logic behind that.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Bit of a luxury to have that choice at 104 years.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Death is as natural as life. Only when we stop fearing it will we see the beauty in it.
Sorry, but I will never see beauty in slow painful agonizing death. I often wonder if people with that sort of romanticized view have ever actually watched someone die?

Last edited by hertfordshire; 05-03-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 08:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm a firm believer that under certain circumstances (terminal illness or reaching advanced age, such as his case), people should be allowed to choose physician-assisted suicide.

I know a lot of physicians (most of who work with terminally ill patients) and have had chances to have this talk. None of them want to assist in suicides. It isn't why they became doctors. I believe in the right to die with dignity. But I don't think we should dump it in the laps of doctors. That's the big problem I see.

I know some doctors are willing to do so...but I see it as a major problem to over come before wide spread changes come about.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I know a lot of physicians (most of who work with terminally ill patients) and have had chances to have this talk. None of them want to assist in suicides. It isn't why they became doctors. I believe in the right to die with dignity. But I don't think we should dump it in the laps of doctors. That's the big problem I see.

I know some doctors are willing to do so...but I see it as a major problem to over come before wide spread changes come about.
I don't think doctors should be forced to assist. Perhaps only those affiliated with Hospice care. Or only doctors in certain specialties. There are plenty of doctors who don't want to perform abortions ... so they don't. And it remains legal. I don't see the difference.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 05-03-2018 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
I don't think doctors should be forced to assist. Perhaps only those affiliated with Hospice care. Or only doctors in certain specialties. There are plenty of doctors who want to perform abortions ... so they don't. And it remains legal. I don't see the difference.
You are probably right. I think most of the docs I know do work with a lot of terminal patients so they have this on their minds, and it is asked of them at times. I would think there would need to be a 3rd party doctor to work through this with patients. Real genuine end of life care, including assisted death with dignity. That would be nice to see.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You are probably right. I think most of the docs I know do work with a lot of terminal patients so they have this on their minds, and it is asked of them at times. I would think there would need to be a 3rd party doctor to work through this with patients. Real genuine end of life care, including assisted death with dignity. That would be nice to see.
Absolutely!

(BTW, I had to edit my post because I left out a "don't" that changes my sentence. LOL!)

I figure if it's possible for there to be OB/GYNs who refuse to perform abortions (and there are plenty), physician choice this shouldn't be an impediment to assisted death being available. I think the only reason that the issue isn't addressed more is because people don't like to think about death and dying until they don't have a choice. And by then, it's usually too late to do anything about it.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I will never see beauty in slow painful agonizing death. I often wonder if people with that sort of romanticized view have ever actually watched someone die?
You completely misunderstood me.

Death and the sometimes-agonizing dying process are two separate things. We shouldn't have to endure the latter to achieve the former, just because society has decided that's the way it should be.

We wouldn't put of beloved pets through the agony of death pain we demand from humans.

Just let me die peacefully and painfree on my terms, not someone elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events