U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:26 AM
 
11,635 posts, read 5,482,423 times
Reputation: 11039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Funny to see this the other way around for once. What a scandal.
Really? It's typical for women to excuse themselves from the table for a moment and then literally leave the restaurant to avoid the bill?

 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Texas
6,537 posts, read 2,377,384 times
Reputation: 13998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Really? It's typical for women to excuse themselves from the table for a moment and then literally leave the restaurant to avoid the bill?
It's definitely not typical behavior.
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:41 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,817 posts, read 64,258,962 times
Reputation: 68634
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would pay my half, sure, but in this situation I think the women were stuck with his bill, too. Because he ran out.


This situation is interesting to me because I used to dine out with a group of women friends who would show up, then say "oh I don't have any money, will you pay for me" or say they forgot their wallet. I stopped going out with them. I think a lot of people want to dine in restaurants but they can't afford it. They need to stay home and make a sandwich. I don't feel sorry for them.
Very weird. They're not your friends. You figured that out. I wonder who they're mooching off of, without you.
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM
 
5,445 posts, read 4,404,945 times
Reputation: 14992
I wonder if the women went into the restaurant with the intention of having the man pay for their meal?
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,079 posts, read 9,009,200 times
Reputation: 29035
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
why? You stopped eating?
No silly. I would have gotten free meals!
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:45 AM
 
11,635 posts, read 5,482,423 times
Reputation: 11039
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's definitely not typical behavior.
Right, so all these posts about 'the other way around' don't make any sense.
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,035 posts, read 3,272,161 times
Reputation: 7407
If you have an ounce of sense, you don't meet someone online and go to an expensive restaurant. You go out for coffee or a drink in a coffee shop or bar until you have a feeling whether this is a trustworthy person you want to spend time with. And when you do go out to dinner, you say at the start of the meal: "we're paying separately, right?". A $130 dinner is not a first or even a second date thing to do.

Not taking precautions to protect yourself (and your wallet) when you're meeting someone new is setting yourself up to be taken advantage of by a sociopath like Mr. Gonzales.
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:57 AM
 
11,635 posts, read 5,482,423 times
Reputation: 11039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
If you have an ounce of sense, you don't meet someone online and go to an expensive restaurant. You go out for coffee or a drink in a coffee shop or bar until you have a feeling whether this is a trustworthy person you want to spend time with. And when you do go out to dinner, you say at the start of the meal: "we're paying separately, right?". A $130 dinner is not a first or even a second date thing to do.

Not taking precautions to protect yourself (and your wallet) when you're meeting someone new is setting yourself up to be taken advantage of by a sociopath like Mr. Gonzales.
What good does verbally stating that each will pay for their own when dealing with a scam artist?
 
Old 05-08-2018, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,288 posts, read 1,043,745 times
Reputation: 7596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would pay my half, sure, but in this situation I think the women were stuck with his bill, too. Because he ran out.


This situation is interesting to me because I used to dine out with a group of women friends who would show up, then say "oh I don't have any money, will you pay for me" or say they forgot their wallet. I stopped going out with them. I think a lot of people want to dine in restaurants but they can't afford it. They need to stay home and make a sandwich. I don't feel sorry for them.
OMG PV, I had a coworker who did this crap for the longest until we simply stopped inviting her out. not only that when ever we split the bill she would always order soup to nuts. The one time we asked her did she have her bag (lol, we had wised up) before we left, when we got to the restaurant she made sure to get seperate checks.
 
Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,035 posts, read 3,272,161 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What good does verbally stating that each will pay for their own when dealing with a scam artist?
Read the first part of my post. You don't go out to an expensive dinner with someone you don't know already. A scam artist would not be going to get coffee with someone because he's answering personal ads to get free meals. That's why he's a "scam artist". Clarifying who's paying for what in a relationship that's proceeded to the point where you're sharing an expensive meal is to make sure there aren't any misunderstandings, not to avoid being scammed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top