U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,634,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
OMG PV, I had a coworker who did this crap for the longest until we simply stopped inviting her out. not only that when ever we split the bill she would always order soup to nuts. The one time we asked her did she have her bag (lol, we had wised up) before we left, when we got to the restaurant she made sure to get seperate checks.

oh wow I cant believe this is done so much as we had that problem too with a co worker many moons ago . she would always say "oh I'm sorry I must have left my card at home " and one of us would say oh that s okay we will get you this time '. Only we all started noticing she was stating this every time we went out so we did not ask her out with us anymore .Yes I agree if you don't have money decline the invite and eat a sandwich at home .

Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 PM

14,966 posts, read 8,529,518 times
He's my new hero lol.

Equal rights correct?

Perhaps he could have done it better instead of being cowardly about it, but it wasn't exactly a dine and dash if it was a dinner date.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
This really is no different than what some women do. It doesn't make it right, but then it never was.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:59 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
I'm not understanding why the female had to pay his bill. I would have refused and only paid for what I had consumed.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm not understanding why the female had to pay his bill. I would have refused and only paid for what I had consumed.
Refused whom, though? The restaurant prepared and served food to her dinner companion. That he dined and dashed isn't their problem, getting compensated for their expenses is.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:04 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh wow I cant believe this is done so much as we had that problem too with a co worker many moons ago . she would always say "oh I'm sorry I must have left my card at home " and one of us would say oh that s okay we will get you this time '. Only we all started noticing she was stating this every time we went out so we did not ask her out with us anymore .Yes I agree if you don't have money decline the invite and eat a sandwich at home .
In my old co-worker group, there was one woman who would always leave before everyone else, and leave just enough cash to cover the menu price of her meal- no tax or tip. Every. Single. Time. Some of those people had worked together for 25-30 years, so they were used to her antics and willing to make up the shortfall.

I don't really like going out with groups of people from work, because (among other reasons) I always learn things about people that cause me to lose respect or regard for them.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Refused whom, though? The restaurant prepared and served food to her dinner companion. That he dined and dashed isn't their problem, getting compensated for their expenses is.
I wonder what the law, if anything, says about this. Is the last man standing at the table responsible for everyone if they take off? Or is everyone only responsible for their own portion.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:36 PM

6,709 posts, read 2,608,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
In my old co-worker group, there was one woman who would always leave before everyone else, and leave just enough cash to cover the menu price of her meal- no tax or tip. Every. Single. Time. Some of those people had worked together for 25-30 years, so they were used to her antics and willing to make up the shortfall.

I don't really like going out with groups of people from work, because (among other reasons) I always learn things about people that cause me to lose respect or regard for them.
See, this is why restaurants at this point are SO HAPPY to divide the checks. Or at least in my experience. You go out with a group of 10, and the waiter is happy to give each patron their own check.

Because if they put one check in the middle, a buncha yahoos at the table only chip in their entree price (don't figure in tea, tax, tip) and so those left holding the bag aren't willing to chip in an extra 40 bucks or so to cover everyone else's jerky behavior.

If each person gets their own check they at least have to cover the full price they owe, whether they're cheap enough to decide to skip the tip.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM

1,573 posts, read 557,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/women-were...opstories.html

If you’re looking online for love or even just a dinner partner in the Los Angeles area, be careful or you might unwittingly get stuck with the bill.
Two women at different restaurants in Pasadena were allegedly victims of “dine-and-dash” dating by someone they met online, according to news reports.
Pasadena police told ABC News “there is an ongoing investigation into [the] activities” of a man named Paul Guadalupe Gonzales, 45, of Pasadena.
[color=#000000]ABC News has tried repeatedly to contact Gonzales by phone but has so far been unable to reach him.
Wow. There's ten million people in the 'Los Angeles area' (LA and the cities immediately adjacent). Let's say 5% of them dine out on a given day. That estimate is probably conservative, but it's still at least half a million people. Multiply that times a week and you have at least 3.5 million dinings out.

And two people have been stiffed by their dates.

Wow. 1 out of every 1,750,000. What an epidemic...

Last edited by toosie; 05-08-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 02:46 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,114,298 times
that's why on your first date go to mcdonalds. or get separate checks as soon as you sit down. i do that all the time. i pay for my own food. i don't need charity. and if i can't afford to go i don't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events