U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:13 PM

868 posts, read 928,737 times

Advertisements

I noticed early in my adult life that any time the local government wanted more money they would claim they were going to have to fire teachers and let prisoners go if they didn't get it. Basically direct emotional appeals/threats against people's children and family safety. This is similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 01:18 PM

10,370 posts, read 2,806,237 times
Perhaps they could retrain the dogs to detect B.S.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:20 PM

6,128 posts, read 1,497,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'll take lying for $20 Alex.

IMO, here's what would really happen if pot was legalized. Police depts. would not be able to justify budget increases, and would probably have to lay off some of their police force. "Oh noes! We can't have THAT!"
Yes!

Law enforcement and the drug cartels rely on each other for their survival. Take drug crime and drug related crime away and what would all these LE agencies be left to deal with on a daily basis?

Law enforcement should have ZERO input/opinion on laws, its their job to enforce whats created, not to have an opinion.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM

11,355 posts, read 6,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I noticed early in my adult life that any time the local government wanted more money they would claim they were going to have to fire teachers and let prisoners go if they didn't get it. Basically direct emotional appeals/threats against people's children and family safety. This is similar.

Exactly! An appeal to emotion distributed via an over-simplified, sensationalist rag.

Many years ago I narrowly missed being attacked by a guard dog which apparently had been incorrectly trained (The animal was apparently "triggered" by my walking trough a small gap in a fence while carrying a club used to test tires; a supposedly-trained security guard was present at the time.)

The unfortunate fact is that the behavior of supposedly-"retired" guard dogs can't always be predicted; and appeals to raw emotion won't change this.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-08-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 01:38 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Yea, you only hear that, never hear of letting go of the admin/overhead staff.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 PM

1,333 posts, read 635,092 times
They’re just upset their “war on drugs” gravy train is coming to an end. No more budget increases and jail expansions to arrest and put away all those dangerous potheads.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:53 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,482,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes!

Law enforcement and the drug cartels rely on each other for their survival. Take drug crime and drug related crime away and what would all these LE agencies be left to deal with on a daily basis?

Law enforcement should have ZERO input/opinion on laws, its their job to enforce whats created, not to have an opinion.

And hellz, lots of police depts. fund their depts. with asset seizures. You gotta have the busts, so you can collect the assets, so you can auction them off later, and fill the coffers.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM

2,215 posts, read 753,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"At this point, they're trained on five different odors," explained the Normal Police Department's assistant police chief, Steve Petrilli, a former K-9 handler. "Once they're programed with that, you can't just deprogram them." The dogs are also trained against being social in order to be effective workers, which led Larner to suggest "a number" of the K-9s would have to be euthanized in the event that marijuana is legalized, The Pantagraph writes.
Illinois police claim if marijuana is legalized, they'll have to kill their police dogs

I'm speechless lol
What he said is a lie, and complete BS! They can be retrained, or retired. The anti mj people are getting desperate. A last ditch effort. Many canines live with their handlers at home with their family. Completely bogus threat.

While on my move back west I stopped to fuel in eastern Missouri, or the previous state , and there was a police officer with his gorgeous male German Shepard. He let me pet him, and that dog was so sweet, and friendly. I'm glad the dog liked me, lol. But as a well trained Officer Doggie I know it would have followed orders perfectly. The dog lives at home with him, and his family too. He said they get all their dogs from Slovakia, or somewhere around there. He said their breeding programs were the best. Probably follows orders in several languages .

Old 05-08-2018, 02:06 PM

973 posts, read 351,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
B.S.

Retired police dogs as well as bomb-sniffing and other military dogs are made available for adoption all the time. They often are adopted by their handlers, who take them home to live with their families. Others are adopted by regular people. They take quite readily to the couch-potato life of a family pet.

If the dogs were so antisocial, they would not be able to work as part of a police team.

These people are lying or crazy.
I agree! I'm not a dog guy BUT if I had to have a dog at all I'd damn sure take one that is trained to obey and PROTECT my family!! They may be retired dogs but they are not useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2018, 02:13 PM

10,323 posts, read 12,409,777 times
They are not going to mass euthanize healthy, trained dogs. They will do other work or be adopted. German Shepherds are wonderful dogs that have done us and continue to do us a great service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or