U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM

5,240 posts, read 4,044,580 times

Advertisements

One of these days they'll make doughnuts illegal and there won't be any need for that cop anymore. He'll have to be gassed. Sad days ahead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:04 PM

4,825 posts, read 2,142,556 times
Cartels would like it legalized. One less hurdle of paying off ppl and doing "border runs'. Legalizing it takes away the inventive ways they have had to invest to smuggle. Instead they buy the business ...and distribute. End of story.
As for the animals...they get adopted. Or maybe the cartels can adopt them to sniff out the employees who might be sampling the product.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 PM

2,191 posts, read 940,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Cartels would like it legalized. One less hurdle of paying off ppl and doing "border runs'. Legalizing it takes away the inventive ways they have had to invest to smuggle. Instead they buy the business ...and distribute. End of story.
As for the animals...they get adopted. Or maybe the cartels can adopt them to sniff out the employees who might be sampling the product.
Just like cartels own all the liquor stores and don't forget about Molson and Anheuser Busch.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:44 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,101,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"At this point, they're trained on five different odors," explained the Normal Police Department's assistant police chief, Steve Petrilli, a former K-9 handler. "Once they're programed with that, you can't just deprogram them." The dogs are also trained against being social in order to be effective workers, which led Larner to suggest "a number" of the K-9s would have to be euthanized in the event that marijuana is legalized, The Pantagraph writes.
Illinois police claim if marijuana is legalized, they'll have to kill their police dogs

I'm speechless lol
I know it's a joke, but think of the money the Police union/ lobby is throwing at politicians to not legalize.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:24 AM

4,581 posts, read 6,106,204 times
This seems more like an if you legalize drugs, you hate dogs argument. I suppose it's about all they have left to rationalize keeping pot illegal.

And the good news is they'll still be able to hit on other drugs. It's not like pot is made legal on Wednesday and everything else is legalized on Friday. I can't imagine a point in our future where much of anything past marijuana is legalized.

The real hit would be from the ticket and court income from stupid pot charges because some dude has a nickel bag in his pocket for a Friday night. But they can't just come out and say that, now can they?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:20 AM

17,196 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Pot is a huge meal ticket for the police. It's better than writing traffic tickets. It's good for towns, judges, and police depts. The drug cartels also want to keep pot illegal.
Not all cops are for the War on Drugs in any case. There is an organization that began with 5 members and now has many thousands, made up of former cops, prosecuters, judges and others who have seen the damage done by current laws and all trying to work together to end the failed war in drugs. It's called the Law Enforcement Action Partnership (formerly Law Enforcement Against Prohibition)

"In 2002, five police officers founded Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit composed of police and other criminal justice professionals dedicated to educating the public about the harms of drug prohibition. In January 2017, while reaffirming our commitment to ending the War on Drugs, LEAP became the Law Enforcement Action Partnership in order to advocate for solutions across a broader range of drug policy and criminal justice issues".

https://lawenforcementactionpartners...s/drug-policy/

There is a 15 minute or so video of one of the founders explaining their position on a news show that is worth watching.

Lastly the vast majority of retired police dogs live with their handlers and their families but many are put up for adoption as well. It takes longer to adopt a police dog because they have to go to someone who can be dominant and can handle them and they make you prove that, but police dogs are retired ALL THE TIME and not euthanized.

To the person who believed the story and said "how sad", what is you think they do with the dogs when they are no longer useful now?? If they don't euthanize them as they retire currently, than why on earth would you believe they will suddenly start doing it if pot is legalized??

Here is just one site that adopts service dogs, including military dogs, and they have more people that want them than they have dogs:

"There are many that want to adopt these heroes and not that many heroes to go around, so please understand that while we do our best to place as many Working Dogs as possible, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a retired working dog"

In the meantime, the people who find it so sad, now that you know this story was a BS Reefer Madness manipulation, why not go protest the dog racing parks in Florida, where dogs are killed on a regular basis as soon as they start losing races?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:24 AM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Oh give me a break. "If you legalize marijuana, I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue and die".

Drug dogs HAVE to be social, or they wouldn't be allowed to intermingle in schools and at airports. These dogs are not feral; in fact, they're well-trained to behave socially in crowds of a variety of types of people.
This is true.

The only dogs I've heard of that might reasonably need to be euthanized after service might be military dogs that suffer PTSD (yes, dogs get it too) after severe combat trauma. That has to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

But otherwise, dogs can be trained for difference service until quite old...and when they're quite old, they're willing to just retire.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:34 AM

1,018 posts, read 553,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yeah....umm...no. Once legalized there will be US owned "growhouses" & suppliers popping up everywhere and profiting off it (which I have no problem with - it's the American way). And you can be sure these US sanctioned marijuana suppliers will be regulated and the owners/manufacturers will have to pass & be issued authorization by the US/State gov'ts to operate. Mexican, Colombian etc. cartel groups aren't going to get approval to buy, run, invest in or have any part in a legal US marijuana supply chain.

Just like ending prohibition killed the illegal alcohol supply, the legalization of weed will kill off that illegal trade (eventually, esp. when it becomes legal in all 50 states) and the cartels will take a hit. Don't feel too bad for them though....they'll continue to supply cocaine, heroin, etc. and still make millions.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:47 AM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times
What a stupid thing to say! I live in Colorado. Our local PD absolutely loves their K-9's. I swear, every time I look at their website, they have replaced a pic of some cop getting an award with a new dog pic.

Come to think of it ... some of their K-9's have won awards. They refer to their dogs as "Officer Ranger", or "Officer Brutis". When they "retire" the dogs, they are listed as retired officers.

Besides, "legal" means "our rules". They bust illegal grows around here all the time, too many plants, more product than the plants you are allowed, etc ...

It's not like sniffing for weed is the only thing they are trained to do: They track & apprehend suspects & just their presence deters noncompliance. They can detect other drugs, weapons & even cadavers & missing /hostage persons.

"Kill the dogs" ... what an idiot.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM

3,425 posts, read 2,121,646 times
It's ridiculous to say that they have to be euthanized but I can see where they might need to be retired at least from the narcotics detection part of the job. You could probably retrain the dog not to hit on pot but I think it would be difficult and stressful for the dog. I can also see a good defense attorney claiming that the search was illegal because a retrained dog hit on pot which provided the probable cause to search and not the other illegal narcotics which were present.

However, other jurisdictions where pot is legal have dealt with this situation without euthanizing their K9s (at least I haven't heard of any) so there is precedent in how to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or