Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:26 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I very rarely see Mexican people in Mexican restaurant eating just as I very seldom see Chinese people in Chinese restaurant eating.

If you are in Southern California and don't see more Hispanics than gringos and a Chinese restaurant and don't see more Chinese than round eyes, turn around and leave. You are in the wrong place.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:46 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
to strike a blow for freedom from all types of food shaming

Shaming in all its forms (fat, food, sexual mores, etc) has traditionally been more beneficial than harmful.

Whatever Happened To Shame

Old 07-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Taco Bell is better than Old El Paso.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I grew up in Texas and have eaten Mexican food my entire life and even been to Mexico. The orangey-goop that Taco Bell puts in their food isn't traditional Mexican. It very likely has mayonnaise in it. It is disgusting!
Mayonnaise (mayonesa) is a very popular condiment and ingredient in Mexico. In fact it is essential to the famous and ubiquitous Mexican street food, elote.

Now, that said, Taco Bell's white/orange sauces, mayonaise or not, are gross, in my opinion.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's not a matter of self-appointment - it's just having a clue.

As an aside, I was in Los Angeles recently. I did a lot of eating, as it's a great town for authentic Mexican as well as a vast array of other cuisines (had some great Korean and Cuban, too). But it amazed me that there were Taco Bells there. Who on earth would pass up all the great Mexican street food for some moronic 'taco' made out of a giant Dorito? Probably the same sort of person who travels to Europe and eats at a McDonald's in Rome and goes shopping at The Gap in Paris.
I would.

Because Mexican street food does not seem hygienic enough.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I would.

The key is to find a clean restaurant in the US that serves "street food" Mexican style - they do exist and boy are they ever good.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I would.

This is reasonable IMO, I haven't gotten sick from a taco stand but there are a lot of questionable characteristics including:

1. No running water
2. No formal food handling training
3. How long was food kept at temperature
4. How were raw fillings (cabbage, etc.) cleaned

#1 is partly mitigated by the habit in Mexico of serving food on plastic plates with a plastic sheath covering so they just throw away the covering. On the other hand they do have buckets for washing cooking supplies which isn't optimal, and with no running water a lot less hand washing probably happens.

#3 is fine at comal type places where your food is cooked in front of you, but the guisado places who knows how long that stuff has been sitting in the container to be spooned out. Some have fancier setups where it's heated tins but many places just have casserole dishes.

#4 is a lot better now than it probably was in years past, these days purified water is the norm for drinking and washing food, and bigger Mexican grocery stores sell prewashed greens just like in USA. Still a potential crapshoot though.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

220 posts, read 145,527 times
[quote=Hulsker 1856;51843261 Who on earth would pass up all the great Mexican street food for some moronic 'taco' made out of a giant Dorito? [/quote]

We live in between L.A. and San Diego. No shortage of Mexican restaurants and I love some of them. I also enjoy my own creations here at home. Still, there are times when a light Crunchy Taco Bell taco is in order. I don't always have time for or a need for the typical huge wet burrito that, while delicious, is going to find half or more being toted home in a caja!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
That's so silly! Around here, few people would ever eat that awful food! We have lots of really good Mexican food locally, but that stuff is not Mexican food.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:43 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
That's so silly! Around here, few people would ever eat that awful food! We have lots of really good Mexican food locally, but that stuff is not Mexican food.
Texas has the second highest number of Taco Bells in the country (590) second only to California.

As an aside, it will be pretty near impossible for any local place to come out on top of a national poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events