Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm pretty sure most Mexican dishes don't use cumin
This perception is another case of northern Mexican cuisine, especially that of Chihuahua and Sonora, not being proper Mexican food. I hear it all the time: "There is no [flour tortilla, cheese, cumin, machaca] in real Mexican cuisine."

Saying cumin is not typically Mexican is like saying ketchup is not typically American because most American dishes do not include ketchup in the ingredients.

Many moles and chile sauces, especially those in northern Mexico, use cumin quite freely.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This perception is another case of northern Mexican cuisine, especially that of Chihuahua and Sonora, not being proper Mexican food. I hear it all the time: "There is no [flour tortilla, cheese, cumin, machaca] in real Mexican cuisine."

Saying cumin is not typically Mexican is like saying ketchup is not typically American because most American dishes do not include ketchup in the ingredients.

Many moles and chile sauces, especially those in northern Mexico, use cumin quite freely.
I know that some Mexican cuisines use cumin, I just meant that I wouldn't characterize Mexican cuisine as a whole by the presence of cumin.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:29 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Except of course we are not talking about caviar vs Hamburger Helper, we are talking taco vs taco. Most people in the U.S. do not have the opportunity to experience good Mexican food vs bad Mexican food. All they have access to is faux Mexican food.
I've had plenty of access to all kinds of Mexican food and I still enjoy Taco Bell, so your whole "Americans haven't tried it" argument falls flat. There are far too many types of authentic Mexican food to declare Taco Bell fake just based on it being an American fast food chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The analogy is someone singing a song well and someone singing the SAME SONG badly.

In this case you would arguing the person who LIKES someone singing off key and missing notes has just as viable an opinion as to who is the better singer and that both singers are therefore equal.
Nope. There is no "correct" for food taste or preference so it cannot be compared to something black and white like whether a singer is for hitting certain notes.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I actually hear that taco stands in Mexico tend to not have very long menus, but rather specializing in 1-3 fillings

And tinga is so good, it seems pretty unknown in the US though. I randomly tried one from a taco truck in Brooklyn and I loved it.
It depends. Some taco stands will have eight or more containers with different fillings, especially the bigger guisado type taco stands. Others have less or even one thing they specialize in, one of my favorites in Mexico City just had tacos de chivo, nothing else. Your only option besides chivo (goat) was whether to add green salsa, onion, or limes to it.

That's what is so funny about TimTheEnchanter's silly list of ingredients where one is required to be a REAL authentic taco stand, there are literally hundreds of types of tacos. Trying to rattle off a few as some gold standard of authenticity is incredibly naive.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:25 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's not a matter of self-appointment - it's just having a clue.

As an aside, I was in Los Angeles recently. I did a lot of eating, as it's a great town for authentic Mexican as well as a vast array of other cuisines (had some great Korean and Cuban, too). But it amazed me that there were Taco Bells there. Who on earth would pass up all the great Mexican street food for some moronic 'taco' made out of a giant Dorito? Probably the same sort of person who travels to Europe and eats at a McDonald's in Rome and goes shopping at The Gap in Paris.
The chain originated in California.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Interesting but I doubt that it has to do anything with the ethnicity of Gas Station owner. Most probably the owner is Mr Patel from India who will hardly eat it themselves.
It’s the ethnicity of the cooks that matter, and they’re usually Mexican. We have so many taco stands and Mexican restaurants around here you literally have one for every neighborhood. We also have pho and Mediterranean restaurants for every neighborhood now too. But I do notice that the Hispanic workers tend to go to the gas station stands a lot since it’s cheap and convenient when they’re working.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
But it amazed me that there were Taco Bells there. Who on earth would pass up all the great Mexican street food for some moronic 'taco' made out of a giant Dorito?
How is a Taco Bell taco akin to a giant Dorito? Because it's a crunchy tortilla instead of soft?

Tostadas are popular as street and restaurant food in Mexico and that looks a lot more like a Dorito than a Taco Bell crunchy taco shell, are all the Mexicans eating tostadas in Mexico eating moronic food? What about tacos dorados, flautas, or chilaquiles? They are all quite common in Mexico, I guess the fact they are deep fried to be crunchy makes them just Doritos and we should wonder why millions of Mexicans eat them every day.

Quote:
Probably the same sort of person who travels to Europe and eats at a McDonald's in Rome
Aside from the fact that most people in McDonald's in other countries are locals, when people are on vacation they sometimes miss food from back home they are familiar with, or they are interested to see if there are different menu items available in other countries. It's really a stretch to refer to someone as a "sort of person" because they feel like eating a cheeseburger when on vacation overseas.

You're basically doubling down on food snobbery by extending to travel snobbery.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:39 AM

369 posts, read 325,111 times
Make no mistake, most popular in no way equates to being voted the best. To me it translates to "where the herd meets the trough.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I live in a Mexican neighborhood and eat at several local Mexican joints. I also like Taco Bell; it doesn’t have to be that you like only one or the other.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:29 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The chain originated in California.
The food was probably decent when they first opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events