U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 PM

6,754 posts, read 2,623,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Lots of head scratching regarding this story.

The witness said he saw a shirtless teen boy, through BINOCULARS in a fenced off retention pond. The witness says the boy yells "It bit me" and then disappears into the water.

The police, INSTEAD find the body of a young woman, partially clothed, with no signs of attack or trauma.

Hmmmm....I think it's time to talk to that witness some more.
I do too. Exactly.

I'm the only one in this thread who will say very loudly, alligator on human attacks are very rare. Unless the female gator is trying to defend her nest/hatched young and the human is ignoring her attempts to drive him away.

Alligators don't eat humans, although very rarely will drown them.

Crocodiles will eat humans, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I've got some experience with Alligators at Brazos Bend State Park, where huge ones are rampant, and no, they don't eat people. You have to step over them (if you can, they're big, sometimes you have to go around them) on the trail. In Artesian Lakes Park north of Houston, alligators are everywhere - even in the swimming area (which is very clear, and you can see them). When kids get in the water, the gators swim away.

If you see a little bitty alligator and you catch it, and it starts making that mewing barking sound of distress, LOOK OUT AND PUT THAT THING DOWN. And run. Because now you're in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Maybe I'm nave or just stupid, but until that little boy was killed by an alligator at Disney World, it never would have occurred to me to be on the lookout for alligators. I have visited Florida quite a few times - the panhandle, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Cape Canaveral. Never thought about alligators, especially at Disney World.

I grew up in the Midwest where we played in pools, rivers, ponds and creeks without a second thought. The only thing we worried about were snakes, but they are usually afraid and swim away from you. So since no one had specifically warned me about alligators in Florida, it never occurred to me.

But thinking back, I do remember leaving Florida one time, my husband driving, and I turned around to tend to the kids in the back seat. Through the side window looking back, I saw what I thought was an alligator in the median between the north and southbound highways (we were heading north), and I'm pretty sure we were on I-75. I told my husband I thought I saw an alligator and then I said "Nah, it couldn't be..."

People are probably more aware now since the kid being killed at Disney, but Florida visitors really be warned because unless you grew up there or have some knowledge of alligators, you have a false sense of security.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:18 PM

4,404 posts, read 1,498,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I do too. Exactly.

I'm the only one in this thread who will say very loudly, alligator on human attacks are very rare. Unless the female gator is trying to defend her nest/hatched young and the human is ignoring her attempts to drive him away.

Alligators don't eat humans, although very rarely will drown them.

Crocodiles will eat humans, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I've got some experience with Alligators at Brazos Bend State Park, where huge ones are rampant, and no, they don't eat people. You have to step over them (if you can, they're big, sometimes you have to go around them) on the trail. In Artesian Lakes Park north of Houston, alligators are everywhere - even in the swimming area (which is very clear, and you can see them). When kids get in the water, the gators swim away.

If you see a little bitty alligator and you catch it, and it starts making that mewing barking sound of distress, LOOK OUT AND PUT THAT THING DOWN. And run. Because now you're in trouble.

Plus...it concerns me that supposedly, this teen goes into this CLOSED OFF retention pond, by himself. It just doesn't make sense to me. I grew up in Florida, where every other neighbor had a pool, and access to the beach all the time. We were always taught never go swimming alone, always have a buddy. So to me, it just sounds squirrely.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:38 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,624,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Lots of head scratching regarding this story.

The witness said he saw a shirtless teen boy, through BINOCULARS in a fenced off retention pond. The witness says the boy yells "It bit me" and then disappears into the water.

The police, INSTEAD find the body of a young woman, partially clothed, with no signs of attack or trauma.

Hmmmm....I think it's time to talk to that witness some more.
Witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 PM

4,404 posts, read 1,498,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

Well, right or wrong, this witness is suspicious to me.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:12 PM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Maybe I'm nave or just stupid, but until that little boy was killed by an alligator at Disney World, it never would have occurred to me to be on the lookout for alligators. I have visited Florida quite a few times - the panhandle, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Cape Canaveral. Never thought about alligators, especially at Disney World.

I grew up in the Midwest where we played in pools, rivers, ponds and creeks without a second thought. The only thing we worried about were snakes, but they are usually afraid and swim away from you. So since no one had specifically warned me about alligators in Florida, it never occurred to me.

But thinking back, I do remember leaving Florida one time, my husband driving, and I turned around to tend to the kids in the back seat. Through the side window looking back, I saw what I thought was an alligator in the median between the north and southbound highways (we were heading north), and I'm pretty sure we were on I-75. I told my husband I thought I saw an alligator and then I said "Nah, it couldn't be..."

People are probably more aware now since the kid being killed at Disney, but Florida visitors really be warned because unless you grew up there or have some knowledge of alligators, you have a false sense of security.
At one point they were found as far North as Jersey.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:25 PM

7,100 posts, read 2,215,712 times
Another Monster of the Swamp

This all brings to mind, something a bit different, but potentially also dangerous. There are alligator snapping turtles in the South and they have been estimated to reach as much as 200 to 400 lbs., in size. They have large and powerful jaws. They can hold their breath for long periods and often rest on the bottom of a pond. If someone was wading there and stepped on one--------!

About ten years ago, someone saw one of these monsters on the bank of a pond, in the middle of our city. It was estimated at 80 lbs. in size. Someone must have planted it there, when it was much smaller. I will never go wading or swimming there again or any place there is murky water. With all these released pet alligators, turtles and snakes, there is no place in the U. S. that is guaranteed to be free of them, at least during the warm half of the year.

Now, watch this video and be shocked by the jaws on the turtle that is shown. Anyone who thought Steve Irwin was crazy? This guy has him beat by a long ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT2eLretCWE

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...apping-turtle/

Old 05-11-2018, 02:33 PM

16,750 posts, read 9,479,623 times
Have spent the last bunch of years since I retired in '04' golfing all over south central Florida and I can tell you Gators can be found anywhere you might least expect them. Golf courses with retention ponds to assist in the course irrigation watering, retirement communities that abutt any water course, back yard pools of homes with water nearby, even shopping mall parking lots.

Gators can and do migrate miles to other bodies of water to stake out a territory of their own. Gators have tempers just like humans, aggravate one by getting in it's face and you'll see how fast one of them can move at you. Even the largest ones with those huge long tails can pick themselves up to the full extension of their legs so you see nothing but daylight underneath their entire length including tail and get out there to outrun a golf cart if tested. They cannot run far but boy can they move for all it takes to get at whatever's annoying them.

Most will simply turn and head back into whatever body of water they're sunning alongside if approached. BUT if they happen to be hungry and you look tasty, don't take their usual retreat for granted.

We've often had to give a foursome an auto-par for a hole when arriving at the green to find a good sized gator sunning himself beside the green too close to simply ignore while putting out.

Anyone climbing a fence to enter a body of water in Florida is just asking for a closed casket funeral.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:01 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,906,819 times
Who the heck would willingly swim in a disgusting retention pond , gators or not.

I agree with those who think something is ,uh, fishy here.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:20 PM

2,126 posts, read 469,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Virtually any pond or lake here in Florida has at least one gator in it. The community I live in has several lakes on it, and each one has a few of them in there. You have to be smarter than they are and not put yourself at risk.

I have had gators approach my boat, especially during mating season, and act aggressively.
There's a gator at my job, though I personally never saw him. I don't mess with him, he don't mess with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events