U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:34 AM

365 posts, read 166,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am not 100% sure it was racial.
I would have said that, too, if it weren't for the little fact you may have missed - there were four people renting the house, and she only called the cops about the three black people.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:58 PM

20,432 posts, read 26,564,266 times
The police "handled it well?"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/07/us/ai...rnd/index.html

Quote:
The police told Fyffe-Marshall and her friends to put their hands in the air, and then informed them a helicopter was tracking them.
Quote:
Their Sergeant arrived... he explained they didn’t know what Airbnb was. He insisted that we were lying about it and said we had to prove it. We showed them the booking confirmations and phoned the landlord... because they didn’t know what she looked like on the other end to confirm it was her.. they detained us - because they were investigating a felony charge - for 45 minutes while they figured it out.
Not what I would call "handling it well."

Old 05-11-2018, 01:03 PM

11,073 posts, read 6,590,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not what I would call "handling it well."
What did you want them to do, ignore the call of a possible home burglary?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:05 PM

20,432 posts, read 26,564,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What did you want them to do, ignore the call of a possible home burglary?
Please don't put words in my mouth. They could have handled this in a much more timely fashion without the helicopters and accusations of lying. And if LE doesn't know what Air B and B is, they're living in a cave.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:05 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,716,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The real question is why did it take six cops and a helicopter, over 30 minutes to figure out that this was just a bogus call from a crazy old woman, and probably racially motivated?

Average cop's pay $50 an hour. Six cops for 30 minutes = $150, plus $250 for fuel for the helicopter. That is $400, probably closer to $500 when they got done writing up all the reports. $500 of taxpayers money down the drain for this little fiasco.
The cops in ca sure make a lot of money. there retirement packages are quite good.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:39 PM

1,017 posts, read 740,553 times
Just to fill people in, Rialto is a fairly blue collar town, mostly warehouses, trucking companies, rail yards, etc. It's not as poor as it's next door neighbor, San Bernardino, but it's far from wealthy. In fact, the thing that was the biggest puzzle for me in this story was why anyone would rent an Airbnb in Rialto.

Crime-wise, Rialto is probably about average. The demographics of Rialto are 2/3 Hispanic, 15% African American (Which is actually high for California, which as a whole is only 6% AA, LA is only 9% AA for comparison), and only 10% white, so they were probably not the only black people in the neighborhood.

In the story I saw on the local news, the police spokesperson said there had been some break ins in the area, the Airbnb owner did not have the proper city permits, so the city had no record of it, and the three people were foreign nationals, so it took their computers several minutes to verify their identities/make sure there were no warrants. I don't know how the police could have handled it better.

Some people will put most of the fault on the neighbor who called police when she saw people she didn't know coming out of her neighbor's house. There is an old lady that lives on my street in LA that called police when once she saw a woman she didn't recognize take a bike off my other neighbor's porch, and a nearby police car was actually able to catch her and get the bike back. I think most of the fault in the Rialto story actually lies with the owner who illegally listed the house on Airbnb without the proper permits. If the city and her neighbors were aware there was an Airbnb at the house, this wouldn't have happened. If these women were coming out of a hotel or an actual bed-and-breakfast and loading up there car, no one would have called the police, but because it was a covert short term rental, a neighbor who didn't know the situation called.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:48 PM

6,777 posts, read 2,636,042 times
So here's another take on the story.

This caller states she knows the home owners, and they weren't the home owners.

She's looking and witnesses 4 youngish people hauling stuff out of the house across the street. She tries to catch their eye, and they avoid her glance.

I'd call the cops too. Honestly. And I can't remember a time when I ever called the cops before.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,503,366 times
I usually get jumped on for thinking things are racially motivated on here...but I am just not seeing it. I feel like the cops investigated to make sure everything was on the up and up. That is what you are supposed to do. It doesn't feel law suit worthy. Maybe I am missing something...but it just doesn't feel like its that big of a deal. Seems like the home owner failed to go through the proper channels or be a good neighbor and let her neighbors know.

When I go out of town I let my neighbors know if there will be people there. I don't want the cops to be called on my dog sitter or house sitter.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 PM

11,073 posts, read 6,590,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Please don't put words in my mouth. They could have handled this in a much more timely fashion without the helicopters and accusations of lying. And if LE doesn't know what Air B and B is, they're living in a cave.
I was asking you a question, how is that putting words in your mouth?

I actually was interested in knowing what you think the police should have done, since you don't think they handled it appropriately.

The police didn't know these people, they didn't know the homeowner. They had no way to verify that the person on the phone was the homeowner. That doesnt mean they thought the people were lying, just that they weren't able to verify a person's identity over the phone.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:23 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,716,787 times
Rialto is quite a nasty city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or