U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2018, 07:06 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,996 posts, read 1,959,509 times
Reputation: 2483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
i heard one of the women was bob marleys daughter.

 
Old 05-12-2018, 07:22 AM
 
15,115 posts, read 8,636,029 times
Reputation: 25236
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i heard one of the women was bob marleys daughter.
Several articles were highlighting the fact that she was Marley's granddaughter.

I was like, so what, what does that have to do with anything, does this incident have more significance because of it? I didn't think so.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 09:54 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,996 posts, read 1,959,509 times
Reputation: 2483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Several articles were highlighting the fact that she was Marley's granddaughter.

I was like, so what, what does that have to do with anything, does this incident have more significance because of it? I didn't think so.
well then, if shes damians daughter then shes definitely guilty; ziggys or stephans, maybe not ?
j/k. <@
 
Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,181 posts, read 3,674,578 times
Reputation: 13629
It was just a frightened old lady in the neighborhood who didn't know it was a rental house obviously.

I don't see how this was a racial thing at all.

Anyways, all is good. Sueing the Po-po is nonsense. This was NO biggie and not worthy of the news IMO.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,934 posts, read 22,525,549 times
Reputation: 32886
She saw something so she said something. What was she supposed to do? They were strangers coming out of the neighbor’s house with stuff. The not waving thing to her was to her mind a sign something could be wrong.

Maybe those who are judging her as being racist are just being too quick to accuse her. This to me is not the same as the Starbucks or the Yale situation, I would definitely call that racist. But in this case the situation is more complex. It simply could have been a neighbor not knowing why strangers were in another neighbor’s house in an dicey neighborhood.

The real fault lies with the idiot neighbor who rented the house illegally under Airbnb.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 PM
 
770 posts, read 567,848 times
Reputation: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
was he black ? Didn't Starbucks call the cops on two black kids for not ordering coffee, but trying to do the "biggest business deal of there lives!!"
 
Old 05-12-2018, 12:38 PM
 
20,479 posts, read 26,615,772 times
Reputation: 13199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
She saw something so she said something. What was she supposed to do? They were strangers coming out of the neighbor’s house with stuff. The not waving thing to her was to her mind a sign something could be wrong.

Maybe those who are judging her as being racist are just being too quick to accuse her. This to me is not the same as the Starbucks or the Yale situation, I would definitely call that racist. But in this case the situation is more complex. It simply could have been a neighbor not knowing why strangers were in another neighbor’s house in an dicey neighborhood.

The real fault lies with the idiot neighbor who rented the house illegally under Airbnb.
Minervah, for me it's not so much that she called the cops -- it's not really about her, except that I read that she told the cops there were three suspicious black people and failed to mentioned the fourth white person. It's about the reaction of the cops. Seven cop cars, calling for a helicopter backup, refusing to accept documentation for the rental (which would have showed the telephone number of the landlord, so much for them having an accomplice standing by to lie on the phone, ffs) -- I think it's reasonable to wonder if the situation had played out the same way if the women had all been white.

I think it's also reasonable to wonder whether she would have called the cops at all if the women had been white. Idk, maybe in that case, she would have been more likely to simply assume that the women with suitcases had been visitors.

The women also claim they didn't see her wave, so it's a she said/she said type of thing, but why automatically assume that the white woman is telling the truth here?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-12-2018 at 01:03 PM..
 
Old 05-12-2018, 01:27 PM
 
9,409 posts, read 8,478,612 times
Reputation: 5554
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
And if I saw people brining a bunch of stuff out of one of my neighbors house...any race, I would have called the police.
Yep.in a millisecond. It was over 20 years ago now but I learned a valuable lesson. Left the house around 6 AM one morning while living in a condo complex.. Saw 2 black fellas standing near a car ..not moving around but watching me. As I walked to my car , I chose against calling the police as technically they weren't doing anything wrong and if I did call it would definitely seem racially motiviated. Got home that afternoon and 9 cars were broken into. To this day i wish I could do that scene over.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 05:07 PM
 
1,022 posts, read 746,440 times
Reputation: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The women also claim they didn't see her wave, so it's a she said/she said type of thing, but why automatically assume that the white woman is telling the truth here?
I haven't seen any article that said that the woman who called the police was white, and since Rialto's population is less than 10% white, odds are she wasn't.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,049 posts, read 32,053,608 times
Reputation: 30488
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I saw a quote on social media that said something along the lines of "white people call the police as if it's customer service." Stories like this don't disprove that statement.
Ironically true but slightly scary since I’m a very large black guy on a white street. I’m probably moving out by the end of the year and I hope no one calls the police on me for loading my own into my own car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top