Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 10:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 2,994,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Completely false.

In every case, first world medical infrastructure was used to isolate the patients and use modern protective measures to protect health workers. This is why, despite the disease appearing (via travel) in numerous U.S. and European cities, it did not spread. That's the very definition of containment.

Facts:

*Over 75% of all Ebola outbreaks in Africa, with its insufficient medical infrastructure, have averaged a fatalities/outbreak number in the three figures - and that's generously excluding the 11,000+ who died in the 2013 outbreak.
*Meanwhile the nine historical incidences of Ebola exposure in Europe and North America have consisted of a grand total of 14 infections and 3 deaths.

To pass all of that, and the results, off as 'luck' is a special combination of ignorance (of modern medicine, of statistics, and of basic logic) and agenda.
To be fair, luck was involved and it was one of scale. All of those "modern" containment infrastructures are extremely limited. Yes they can handle five patients, throw fifty Ebola patients at them and there will be ugly outcomes for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,625,616 times
If anyone thinks ignoring an Ebola patient's travel history and misdiagnosing him in a major ER and sending him home, then after readmitting him, using inadequate biohazard care management so that a caregiver becomes infected, then allowing her to fly commercially to visit family and then return home, while another healthcare worker is also infected, and the hospital demonstrates that it has no policies in place for diversion, then has to transfer both patients to one of the four biocontainment units in the US, actually constitutes exceptional containment, isolation of the infected, protection of healthcare workers, and adequate first world infrastructure, then I am just floored. We were just lucky that the flying nurse didn't infect just one patient in an unsuspecting city 1000 miles away from the index case.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:51 PM

37,011 posts, read 41,057,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
If anyone thinks ignoring an Ebola patient's travel history and misdiagnosing him in a major ER and sending him home, then after readmitting him, using inadequate biohazard care management so that a caregiver becomes infected, then allowing her to fly commercially to visit family and then return home, while another healthcare worker is also infected, and the hospital demonstrates that it has no policies in place for diversion, then has to transfer both patients to one of the four biocontainment units in the US, actually constitutes exceptional containment, isolation of the infected, protection of healthcare workers, and adequate first world infrastructure, then I am just floored. We were just lucky that the flying nurse didn't infect just one patient in an unsuspecting city 1000 miles away from the index case.
That was certainly an example of a hospital that was unprepared to deal with Ebola. Certainly some bullets were dodged. I would hope that lessons have been learned for the future.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:29 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,524,428 times
I remember the Ebola scare in Dallas when that nurse with Ebola went home to hang out with friends and family before diagnosis. Internet message boards were full of "experts" explaining how it was impossible to contain once on the loose in a large city.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,291,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The "good" news is the current strains of Ebola are not that contagious. I'd worry more about the truly contagious viral diseases like measles or smallpox. An outbreak of those in the age of global air travel would be disastrous.
This

I recently had a blood test to determine which contagious diseases I had as a child and it was confirmed that I had never had small pox. Upon confirmation I received the vaccine.

Who knew? I certainly didn't.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:08 PM

Wow I didn't even know small pox vaccine was given anymore except to specialized fields like lab workers.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:59 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,450,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Wow I didn't even know small pox vaccine was given anymore except to specialized fields like lab workers.
It's not. Stopped in 1972 Adding, those of us born before then have the vaccine scar.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:31 AM

37,011 posts, read 41,057,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This

I recently had a blood test to determine which contagious diseases I had as a child and it was confirmed that I had never had small pox. Upon confirmation I received the vaccine.

Who knew? I certainly didn't.
I suspect that was chickenpox, not smallpox.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I suspect that was chickenpox, not smallpox.
I think you're right, I don't think one would need a test to confirm if you'd had smallpox at some point in your life. It would be the memorable "time I almost died" event.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,747,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post

You get it. I never in my wildest dreams thought that West Nile would be in our area, but it nearly killed all of our crows and blue jays. They are still a rare sight some ten years later. I've taken care of West Nile patients. They were few and far between but every year it's still in the news. Imagine if the vector that is responsible for ebola manages to make it here to the United States, or, if ebola evolves into a mosquito borne disease. Read about the 6 diseases that mosquitoes carry now. Ever hear of Chikungunya? It was discovered in 2013 and is now in 60 countries including America. Mutations do occur and ebola would be the grand daddy of all vector borne diseases. Worse yet, let someone weaponize it.

Should we be hysterical? No, but we should be concerned. Ebola seems to be on the rise and the fact that it had escaped it's African borders before is indeed of great concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events