U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2018, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Colorado
390 posts, read 206,421 times
Reputation: 699

Advertisements

After animal starts to walk around on hind legs they realized there might be a problem.


https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...174149755.html


It Took This Family Two Years To Realize Their Pet Dog Wasn't A Dog | IFLScience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2018, 06:58 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Reputation: 9265
I've been seeing a lot of stories like this lately. I would think the bear would be more tame if raised from a baby. Maybe they didn't nurture it like I would. Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,516 posts, read 8,601,264 times
Reputation: 6021
I guess they didn't wonder why their 2 year old 'dog' never barked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
184 posts, read 118,758 times
Reputation: 411
This doesn't make any sense to me. How the hell do you mistake a bear for a dog! And for that long!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
6,274 posts, read 3,573,356 times
Reputation: 11075
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. How the hell do you mistake a bear for a dog! And for that long!?
Lol, this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 07:34 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,131 posts, read 1,540,807 times
Reputation: 14729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've been seeing a lot of stories like this lately. I would think the bear would be more tame if raised from a baby. Maybe they didn't nurture it like I would. Lol!
This "story" has been around for years.

A bear is not going to turn into a domesticated social canine no matter how it is nurtured.

You'd think they'd get a clue when their "dog" ate all that produce and ramen but didn't die of malnutrition. Or the fact that it happened to have 2" claws, poor eyesight and outweigh the biggest mastiff. I suppose that's what someone should expect if they don't educate themselves about the ridiculously-expensive, status-desperate breed they just had to own just so others would envy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This "story" has been around for years.

A bear is not going to turn into a domesticated social canine no matter how it is nurtured.

You'd think they'd get a clue when their "dog" ate all that produce and ramen but didn't die of malnutrition. Or the fact that it happened to have 2" claws, poor eyesight and outweigh the biggest mastiff. I suppose that's what someone should expect if they don't educate themselves about the ridiculously-expensive, status-desperate breed they just had to own just so others would envy them.
No. They weren't the brightest owners. Even a bear can be trained. It is still a wild animal. It sounds more like one of those stories where someone got a cute baby animal and then neglected it when it left the baby stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
3,048 posts, read 1,569,650 times
Reputation: 10172
The owner of the dog/bear was Sum Ting Wong. Now it all makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 08:11 PM
 
20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Reputation: 13114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
No. They weren't the brightest owners. Even a bear can be trained. It is still a wild animal. It sounds more like one of those stories where someone got a cute baby animal and then neglected it when it left the baby stage.
Sure, a bear can be trained -- but the effective methods are far from humane. They respond best to fear, not to praise and treats the way a puppy does.

Anyway, I agree with Parnassia. This story's been around in some form for years, and I have serious trouble buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
13,437 posts, read 15,041,010 times
Reputation: 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. How the hell do you mistake a bear for a dog! And for that long!?
It makes some sense if you know what that particular breed looks like.They're sort of bear-like, although by two years it's probably more denial than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top