U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM

25,550 posts, read 24,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The bus driver was an idiot. Why didn't she just let the aide come on the bus and get the girl? Filed under: way to get arrested and fired at the same time.
That's the thing - if she wanted help she'd have taken it. What she wanted was to be alone with this kid to teach her a thing or two. Then she got physical.

Just nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM

2,278 posts, read 715,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I didn't hear the audio - can't turn on the volume right now - but read the captions.

I don't see anything disturbing about it, except telling her she's acting like a baby, and misbehaving, "as always". But really, that's fairly mild.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Here's what I saw.

The girl gets verbally corrected for sticking her feet into the aisle to trip another student who is exiting the bus. The driver tells her if she doesn't keep her feet in, she'll be "on the window", meaning (I guess) forced to sit in the seat near the window so her feet won't reach into the aisle, in tripping range of other students.

Then the student basically lays down on the floor of the bus and kicks and screams and refuses to exit the bus. So the driver picks her up by both shoulders of her jacket (there is some video edited out) and has to carry the struggling girl to the door of the bus so she can exit the bus.

Sorry, I don't see it. What do you do when a child is purposely trying to trip other students, and then lays on the floor of the bus and flails around, refusing to exit the bus?
I can only hope that you don't spend time around young kids. There is absolutely no reason that an adult has to physically manhandle and verbally abuse someone else's 8 year old child. Doing it to a child with autism is just plain evil. The bus driver needs to do some jail time, in fact lockup is probably the safest place for her right now. Most parents seeing their child treated like that would be in the mood for some revenge.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:56 PM

6,966 posts, read 2,700,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I can only hope that you don't spend time around young kids. There is absolutely no reason that an adult has to physically manhandle and verbally abuse someone else's 8 year old child. Doing it to a child with autism is just plain evil. The bus driver needs to do some jail time, in fact lockup is probably the safest place for her right now. Most parents seeing their child treated like that would be in the mood for some revenge.
I still haven't heard the audio, and hadn't watched the video past the part where the commentary starts.

The bus driver certainly has no business being around small children.

But I don't think jail time is appropriate - thanks, I don't care to pay for her room and board.

And apparently the parents are in the mood for revenge, and will likely be paid handsomely for the mistreatment of their child.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:07 PM

4,492 posts, read 1,534,116 times
The child was fine and quietly getting off of the bus, and then the bus driver pulled her back by her back pack to escalate the situation.

Cause at THAT point, the "situation" had already been settled. The kid got reprimanded to pull her legs in. Situation over.

And then, the bus driver decided paybacks were in order. The bus driver is behaving a little sadistically, IMO.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 PM

4,492 posts, read 1,534,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I still haven't heard the audio, and hadn't watched the video past the part where the commentary starts.

The bus driver certainly has no business being around small children.

But I don't think jail time is appropriate - thanks, I don't care to pay for her room and board.

And apparently the parents are in the mood for revenge, and will likely be paid handsomely for the mistreatment of their child.

I don't know...I found it chilling. She went out of her way to work the kid into a frenzy, and then manhandled the girl.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:13 PM

So I finally got a chance to view the video with audio.

Who is the bus driver speaking to, when she makes the comments about "she's acting worse than her baby sister!" and that kind of thing.

Is the aid on the bus at that time?

Old 05-17-2018, 02:14 PM

2,278 posts, read 715,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't know...I found it chilling. She went out of her way to work the kid into a frenzy, and then manhandled the girl.

The old lady must have forgot it was 2018 and she was on camera. It was almost like she wanted to get arrested. I can't think of any easier way to end up in jail and lose your job than to abuse a child while being recorded. Back in the day, she would have just said the kid was lying and nothing would have happened. Why would someone like that choose to work around special needs children? Everyone knows that is a tough job and most people are not prepared for the challenge.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:23 PM

1,945 posts, read 1,170,163 times
What JerZ said here is exactly what I'm thinking.

This person wasn't properly responding to the situation. She was acting out emotionally and doing things the direct opposite of helpful or diffusing. Damn straight she should be fired for that... or have more serious repercussions.

My younger son has autism (19 now), and I accept the fact that people do not know, and do not really want to know, how to interact with him. This woman was hired, presumably, to do exactly that. I feel sorry for the girl and her parents. It's hard to be able to trust anyone to look after and care for your kid when they are defenseless in many ways.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM

So I searched around and found a longer video, and it's more distressing.

What is also apparent is there were several people witnessing this, including the aid. Also other adults she addressed when she stepped off the bus, who were there for apparently minutes while this was going on. They couldn't have missed what was happening.

What comes across - to me - is this bus driver has a lot of affection and patience for the other kids on the bus.

ONLY ON ABC7NEWS.COM Vacaville school bus driver faces child abuse charge after incident involving girl with autism caught on video | abc7news.com

Old 05-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
What JerZ said here is exactly what I'm thinking.

This person wasn't properly responding to the situation. She was acting out emotionally and doing things the direct opposite of helpful or diffusing. Damn straight she should be fired for that... or have more serious repercussions.

My younger son has autism (19 now), and I accept the fact that people do not know, and do not really want to know, how to interact with him. This woman was hired, presumably, to do exactly that. I feel sorry for the girl and her parents. It's hard to be able to trust anyone to look after and care for your kid when they are defenseless in many ways.
You're right, she is not diffusing. The bus driver is clearly escalating the tantrum. But watching the longer video, I really don't see a basis for criminal charges to stick.

She certainly shouldn't be a bus driver anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or