U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,026,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Agreed. And meanwhile, what does any of this have to do with the bus driver? This line of convo was based on blaming the aide too, and/or insinuating that the driver's peers and superiors must have given her the idea it was okay to do this.

First of all, we have no idea this is the case (and the driver closing the door so nobody else could get on the bus to see/hear what she was doing would seem to say the opposite). Second of all, if a non-abuser is not outright told not to abuse, would such a person even think to abuse at all? No. You don't turn a healthy person into an abuser simply by not outright mentioning "so anyway, don't choke kids with their own jackets and jeer at them." This driver was abusive to a child, and that is on her.
Agree completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 PM

51,310 posts, read 50,558,025 times
That was pretty awful. The bus driver borders on sicko.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:56 PM

6,524 posts, read 2,371,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
What does salary have to do with it?
Would you like being given the most difficult and challenging tasks when you were earning far less than everyone else? Aides aren't paid enough to take the kinds of risks they are asked to. My opinion won't change.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 PM

20,432 posts, read 26,564,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If a bus driver can't get her off, then an aide can't. Aides get paid very little and always get the hard jobs pushed off on them. The things that nobody else wants to do or deal with.
The bus driver didn't appear to be trying to get the child off the bus. It looked to me like she was refusing to let the girl leave the bus.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:17 AM

6,777 posts, read 2,629,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The bus driver didn't appear to be trying to get the child off the bus. It looked to me like she was refusing to let the girl leave the bus.
You're right, she wasn't trying to get the child off the bus, until, well, she was trying to get the child off the bus.

For the busdriver, getting her off the bus wasn't priority #1. Priority #1 was trying to lay down the law and let this child know who's boss, and that whatever the continuing behaviors were that were objectionable to the bus driver, those wouldn't be happening anymore on her bus. Whatever those were. And however controversial that is. That was the perspective of the bus driver at the time.

I completely agree with you - I think most of us could have made fairly quick work of getting that child compliant and willing to get off the bus. "I know you're really upset, and I'm going to stand here and walk with you so we can get into the building and talk about this. I have your backpack, I'll carry it. Oh - would you like to carry it? Come on, 'cmon, 'cmon, now hop up let's go on inside now. When you're ready to walk off the bus, I'll go with you."

The thing is, the child wanted to get off the bus to begin with, and was standing to leave when she pushed her back into the seat for the power play - presumedly to establish authority.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-18-2018 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 05:49 PM

905 posts, read 814,626 times
Quote:
Would you like being given the most difficult and challenging tasks when you were earning far less than everyone else? Aides aren't paid enough to take the kinds of risks they are asked to. My opinion won't change.

Most people who are working in special ed aren't doing it for the money...

Old 05-18-2018, 09:00 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
That video made me physically ill. That bus driver is a sadistic psycho. OMG that was terrible. wow...

I'm afraid to read the comments in this post.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Sure they should be paid more...but if they aren't going to do their jobs because they aren't paid enough to take the risks the job entails, then they should move on down and apply at McDonalds. Its the job. Do it for what you are paid, or if you cant be bothered, get another low paying job that you can agree to preform fully for the money you are offered.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 5,342,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That video made me physically ill. That bus driver is a sadistic psycho. OMG that was terrible. wow...

I'm afraid to read the comments in this post.
The comments seem to agree with you.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The comments seem to agree with you.
Mostly...and I am glad. That woman is a psycho. Part of me understands she is hurting so she is hurting others. But that child did not deserve that. It isn't ok to be an adult and then spew your own hurt on a tiny child. And add that she is a special needs kid.

I just don't understand how people let it happen. It scares me as a mom of special needs kids. Terrifies me, actually.

I also feel a lot of empathy for the parents of this child. I really do hope they hold the school 100% accountable for this and force them to make changes. If it was me...I would likely grab my kid and run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or