Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 08:13 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times

Advertisements

zzzzzzzzzz

If you are not interested in the wedding and festivities, why even comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 08:27 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Must be that good ol' "one drop rule" at play. I don't think she self identifies as "black."
She identifies as mixed race. She has more than "one drop"

Old 05-19-2018, 08:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You are just showing your ignorance, you could very easily look into how much they contribute to the world but choose not to. Much more than you or I have, most likely. How does a guy serve two tours and have someone say he's removed from the realities of every day life??? C'mon now. Harry and William's lives have been devoted to helping people.

It's a prince and a princess, horses and carriages, beautiful dresses with mile long trains, tiaras, Cinderella in real life. Who doesn't like that?? What happened to you guys to make you so bitter, that you need to come and spread crap over the one joyous thread on Current Events? Jeez. Or should I say Bah Humbug!
There is nothing bitter about being realistic. It is weird of you and others to get so bent out of shape when someone does not buy into the reality show aspect of this detached from real life and outdated "royal" nonsense. It's like a religion for some...seriously!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Relatively nothing?

Methinks you'd be well served to do a bit of research before spouting off. ESPECIALLY about Diana, William and Harry.

Yikes. I'm embarrassed for you.
Be embarrassed for yourself with this bizarre elitist worship. I suppose this is why dumbed-down reality shows had viewership and Hollywood gossip rags have readership

Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There is nothing bitter about being realistic. It is weird of you and others to get so bent out of shape when someone does not buy into the reality show aspect of this detached from real life and outdated "royal" nonsense. It's like a religion for some...seriously!
No one is getting bent out of shape if you don't care for the Royals. People get out of shape when you become insulting of anyone who shows any interest.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I think part of the attraction of the royals for Americans - and perhaps for other nationalities - is that the royal family includes almost stereotypical characters - or at least, their public personnas are presented that way. They are people whose counterparts we easily recognize within our own families or circle of friends:

The curmudgeonly, cranky, politically incorrect and outspoken yet lovable old codger, who nonetheless is a brave WWII vet and loving grandpa to his large family.

The tart, witty, very dignified, usually formal, but loving grandmother and matriarch, who endearingly loves horses and dogs, even into her tenth decade.

The slightly goofy, pseudointellectual older son, happily remarried after earlier scandals and tragedy, dedicated to his fate and his family as well as to his offbeat hobbies and interests.

The straightforward, plain-faced and plain-spoken aunt, once disliked as haughty but now highly respected for her dedication, practicality, and work ethic.

The divorced couple who still carry torches for one another, after all these years, but who can't seem to quite get it back together.

The handsome/beautiful young parents of the ideal trio of charming little children.

The kooky cousins, known for their good manners but party people nonetheless, who keep us guessing as to where they'll turn up next - and what they'll be wearing.

The budding ingénue, suddenly looking very grown up in her first fascinator and heels, and about to blossom as the beauty of the family.

The handsome younger son with a military background and his unexpectedly exotic bride: love wins.

And so on.

Who doesn't recognize these people? Why, they're just like us!

Almost. Or so it seems...
I agree with this. Us humans love to categorize and compartmentalize and I think the fascination with the royals lends itself to this sort of "pastime." I love following the bloodlines back hundreds of years and seeing how one person is related to another. The history/genealogy nerd in me loves that kind of thing.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Be embarrassed for yourself with this bizarre elitist worship. I suppose this is why dumbed-down reality shows had viewership and Hollywood gossip rags have readership
I don't think anyone who watched it owes you or anyone else who's trolling this thread for who-knows-what-weird-reason an explanation, but personally, I thought the cello performance was well worth it as was seeing/hearing American gospel performed on a royal stage. The hats didn't disappoint, either.

The anger shown by some in this thread based on a television watching choice is just bizarre. I'm sure plenty of those who watched it aren't slathering over tabloid rags or glued to reality shows -- that was quite a leap.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No one is getting bent out of shape if you don't care for the Royals. People get out of shape when you become insulting of anyone who shows any interest.
I insulted no one so get a grip. Actually, because I have my own opinion I was the one who was getting insults thrown my way. The British monarchy does bring out controversy and with good reason, so if one cannot deal with the debate they should not partake in the discussion.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not embarrassed. I don't insult others for doing something they like even if I myself don't like it.

Live and let live.

Chill out.

Focus on what you care about instead of crapping all over people who like something you don't.

Grow up.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I insulted no one so get a grip. Actually, because I have my own opinion I was the one who was getting insults thrown my way. The British monarchy does bring out controversy and with good reason, so if one cannot deal with the debate they should not partake in the discussion.
Maybe if one doesn't like a particular topic, they can keep on scrolling? Novel idea I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events