Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,620,355 times

Advertisements

WHO preparing for worst-case Ebola scenario

Quote:
There have been 34 cases of Ebola virus disease reported during the past five weeks, the WHO said Friday. Of those, two have been confirmed using laboratory tests, 14 are suspected, and 18 -- who are deceased -- are considered probable for the disease. Three of the patients are health care workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 05:05 PM

16,365 posts, read 12,355,642 times
Cue the hysteria ...

Old 05-12-2018, 06:10 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,471,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I'm pretty sure WHO always adopts a 'worst-case scenario' preparation when it comes to Ebola. It's just good policy.

Hopefully, this outbreak will be comparatively 'minor', at least compared to the West African outbreak that began in 2013 - the 11,000+ deaths from that one account for approximately 85% of all Ebola deaths known from all outbreaks.

A tragedy to be sure, but it's worth remembering that Ebola is easily contained in modern states with modern medical infrastructure, as was demonstrated in 2014 when several infected individuals from the aforementioned outbreak made it to Europe and the United States. In every case, the disease was quickly contained.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,470,572 times
Something is bound to happen eventually with major diseases though.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:41 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,040,194 times
I’m interested in the contagious aspect of Ebola. It’s transmitted the same way HIV is. Yet at its worst; HIV stayed within demographic boundaries. If a health care worker caught HIV, it was typically via accidental needle stick.

I remember all the fear & misinformation regarding “What if my coworker has HIV?” What about students in schools?”

And there was swift reassurance from the CDC that the general public, outside of lifestyle choices & medical risk groups; would not catch HIV from typical interaction with others.

But if Ebola is only transmitted per body fluid contact; why hasn’t it “settled” into similar risk groups as HIV? Instead we see health care workers in hazmat suits. I have personally started IVs & done blood draws on many, many people who were HIV+. I wore double-gloves. No hazmat suit. I never contracted HIV.

I suppose we don’t have those bats. Or maybe it survives on surfaces better than HIV does.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:32 AM

36,984 posts, read 41,002,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I’m interested in the contagious aspect of Ebola. It’s transmitted the same way HIV is. Yet at its worst; HIV stayed within demographic boundaries. If a health care worker caught HIV, it was typically via accidental needle stick.

I remember all the fear & misinformation regarding “What if my coworker has HIV?” What about students in schools?”

And there was swift reassurance from the CDC that the general public, outside of lifestyle choices & medical risk groups; would not catch HIV from typical interaction with others.

But if Ebola is only transmitted per body fluid contact; why hasn’t it “settled” into similar risk groups as HIV? Instead we see health care workers in hazmat suits. I have personally started IVs & done blood draws on many, many people who were HIV+. I wore double-gloves. No hazmat suit. I never contracted HIV.

I suppose we don’t have those bats. Or maybe it survives on surfaces better than HIV does.

It's fluids like blood and vomit that are infectious with Ebola. Ebola victims are not contagious until they start to have symptoms. When they do start to have symptoms they bleed heavily and have vomiting and diarrhea, so there is a greater risk of a caretaker being exposed to blood. You would expect ER staff to gown and glove if they were taking care of an HIV infected person who was hemorrhaging, wouldn't you?

It's all about R0:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...gious-is-ebola

https://www.bcm.edu/departments/mole...se/ebola-virus

"Ebola virus is spread through direct contact with blood or other bodily fluids, such as feces or vomit, of infected persons (or animals), including close contact with deceased EVD [Ebola virus disease] victims, which are highly infectious. Infection can also be spread through objects like needles and syringes or clothing and bedding that have been contaminated with the virus. Most cases of Ebola virus transmission occur between family members or in health care settings with inadequate infection control, because in these circumstances people are at highest risk of coming in contact with infected bodily fluids. The virus enters the body through a break in the skin or through the eyes, nose, or mouth of an unprotected person."

Old 05-13-2018, 01:18 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,040,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's fluids like blood and vomit that are infectious with Ebola. Ebola victims are not contagious until they start to have symptoms. When they do start to have symptoms they bleed heavily and have vomiting and diarrhea, so there is a greater risk of a caretaker being exposed to blood. You would expect ER staff to gown and glove if they were taking care of an HIV infected person who was hemorrhaging, wouldn't you?

It's all about R0:

"Ebola virus is spread through direct contact with blood or other bodily fluids, such as feces or vomit, of infected persons (or animals), including close contact with deceased EVD [Ebola virus disease] victims, which are highly infectious. Infection can also be spread through objects like needles and syringes or clothing and bedding that have been contaminated with the virus. Most cases of Ebola virus transmission occur between family members or in health care settings with inadequate infection control, because in these circumstances people are at highest risk of coming in contact with infected bodily fluids. The virus enters the body through a break in the skin or through the eyes, nose, or mouth of an unprotected person."
Yes; we used “Droplet Precautions” for HIV patients. And concerns for caregivers of HIV patients were legitimate but I’m not aware of any verifiable occurrence of transmission. Surely, it’s happened.

I actually wondered if it was due to the Hemorrhagic process, as HIV patients will not be leaking blood from eyes, ears, nose & other orfices. That the odds of contracting are higher due to the presence of external fluids.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:44 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,431,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I'm pretty sure WHO always adopts a 'worst-case scenario' preparation when it comes to Ebola. It's just good policy.

Hopefully, this outbreak will be comparatively 'minor', at least compared to the West African outbreak that began in 2013 - the 11,000+ deaths from that one account for approximately 85% of all Ebola deaths known from all outbreaks.

A tragedy to be sure, but it's worth remembering that Ebola is easily contained in modern states with modern medical infrastructure, as was demonstrated in 2014 when several infected individuals from the aforementioned outbreak made it to Europe and the United States. In every case, the disease was quickly contained.
We didn't "contain" anything. We got lucky. Very, very lucky.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 AM

5,038 posts, read 2,970,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The "good" news is the current strains of Ebola are not that contagious. I'd worry more about the truly contagious viral diseases like measles or smallpox. An outbreak of those in the age of global air travel would be disastrous.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:14 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,471,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Completely false.

In every case, first world medical infrastructure was used to isolate the patients and use modern protective measures to protect health workers. This is why, despite the disease appearing (via travel) in numerous U.S. and European cities, it did not spread. That's the very definition of containment.

Facts:

*Over 75% of all Ebola outbreaks in Africa, with its insufficient medical infrastructure, have averaged a fatalities/outbreak number in the three figures - and that's generously excluding the 11,000+ who died in the 2013 outbreak.
*Meanwhile the nine historical incidences of Ebola exposure in Europe and North America have consisted of a grand total of 14 infections and 3 deaths.

To pass all of that, and the results, off as 'luck' is a special combination of ignorance (of modern medicine, of statistics, and of basic logic) and agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events