Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I apologize for the previous rant Vision33r but truthfully after all the periods in our country's history for you to blame millennial's problems on any generation but yourselves is laughable and frankly pretty insulting.

Personally I'm more worried about the generation after you guys. they have absolutely nothing to look up to.

oh here's a little information on India.

https://borgenproject.org/top-10-fac...erty-in-india/

Stop whining about the guy from India, he probably worked a lot harder than your supposed "millennials"
I really don't understand the blaming. How is globalization and increasing corporate greed the fault of any generation? It sounds like people think if boomers did something different, there would still be strong unions and pensions and everything would be made here. It is not the case at all. And I see plenty of younger people walking past the union rat to go shopping in the store.

One day people will blame younger generations for the proliferation of automation, or for the growth of big box stores that displaced small business. That will be just as unfair as it is to blame boomers for globalization. The world changes, very few of us make the decisions that allow that change.

And not everyone got all these riches some seem to think were just there for the taking. My mom made next to nothing as a secretary in the 60's, 70's, when women's work was not valued and pay reflected that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 11:08 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
We have bigger issues than this 30 year man living with his folks. At the end of the day, we are not going to get involved in this situation. We are not going to help the 30 year old or his folks. Also, we are not in their family. People are different.

Cultures are different in regards to children to adults living with their parent. It might be taboo in Western Culture but in other cultures is it normal for the adult to move out once he/she has found a partner to start their own family. There is also an expectation that when the parents are older and in need of support they will move in with the oldest child.

What about parents living with their kids? Are the parents failures, losers, etc?

The Heartwarming Reason Why Michael B. Jordan Lives with His Parents
No one is criticizing people in such circumstances. We are talking about entitled able bodied slackers who expect their parents to always financially support them.

We can't do anything about Michael but he's a big story in the media right now. He has received at least one offer from an internet company to be a web cam boy. He will probably get more offers to be paraded around as a freak but he seems to have no shame so that might work for him.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 PM

125 posts, read 84,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
We have bigger issues than this 30 year man living with his folks. At the end of the day, we are not going to get involved in this situation. We are not going to help the 30 year old or his folks. Also, we are not in their family. People are different.

Cultures are different in regards to children to adults living with their parent. It might be taboo in Western Culture but in other cultures is it normal for the adult to move out once he/she has found a partner to start their own family. There is also an expectation that when the parents are older and in need of support they will move in with the oldest child.

What about parents living with their kids? Are the parents failures, losers, etc?

The Heartwarming Reason Why Michael B. Jordan Lives with His Parents
I am so sick of hearing about what is “normal†in other countries! For crying out loud, it’s called being an ADULT.
We taught our children to be responsible, contributing members of society. Not victimized leeches.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 PM

125 posts, read 84,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEHxx View Post
If there's blame to be given to the Baby Boomers it's NOT from mis-management of resources/economy/society like this article states, it's from a change in Parenting. They raised their children differently than they themselves were raised. These problems have only compounded with subsequent generations.
That is a load of donkey poop! We are BBs and raised five amazing human beings who all left home at 18.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
https://www.syracuse.com/expo/erry-2...o_ny_supr.html

I found this story very entertaining and indicative of the times. Here are my reactions. Some would take longer to flesh out than I have, but they are good points to begin a discussion.

1. Sign of the Times

The 30 year old son is reflective of a broader Millennial trend. Millennials (birth years 1981-1986 as defined by Pew) have lived with a parent or parents during adulthood at a rate far higher than any American generation that preceded them. According to 2015 data, 25% of those 25-29 years old lived with a parent. This is so problematic. Also, this trend impacts men more than women.

2. Cultural Failure

The United States' educational system is broken, as is the United States' economy. Since the trend is impacting young men more than young women, it points to how our educational system is failing young men. In schools, we don't let boys be boys. Also, we don't emphasize the trade school route enough for men. Too many people of both genders are getting useless liberal arts degrees. STEM degrees should be primary reason attend university for a bachelor's. The market is also flooded with those with Bachelor's in Business (a seemingly useful degree) and MBA's, which is diminishing the value of both.

A lot of employment is happening in expensive urban areas. Private sector apartment ownership companies and government urban planners have flooded the apartment market with too many "luxury" apartments with rents and not enough basic apartments. Almost all the apartments that have been built since 2000 have been so-called "luxury" apartments. It's getting more difficult to find a basic apartment that has a reasonable price tag, which impedes living on one's own. Also, home prices are quite unaffordable on early career salaries.

3. Living at home does not impact a woman's sex life, but it more than likely impact's a man's.

When an adult woman lives at home with parent(s), most potential male dates will not care. However, this is a relevant consideration for women when assessing their attraction to men. If a man has good seduction skills, he can tell a woman he's unemployed and living at home and if he's good looking enough, he can probably get some casual sex out of it, but the degree of difficulty on this is higher than if the man was renting an apartment or owned a home.
Living with parents is fine as long as you work and help around the house. I think if you're just being a lazy mooch & doing nothing with your life, that isn't ok.

I lived with my parents til I was 26 but I worked full-time, paid my own bills and car, did my own laundry, helped with meals. cleaning and grocery shopping.

I saved money and bought my own place. Far different than what this guy is doing. To me it seems he has no ambition. I also do suspect he may have some mental disabilities.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I really don't understand the blaming. How is globalization and increasing corporate greed the fault of any generation? It sounds like people think if boomers did something different, there would still be strong unions and pensions and everything would be made here. It is not the case at all. And I see plenty of younger people walking past the union rat to go shopping in the store.

One day people will blame younger generations for the proliferation of automation, or for the growth of big box stores that displaced small business. That will be just as unfair as it is to blame boomers for globalization. The world changes, very few of us make the decisions that allow that change.

And not everyone got all these riches some seem to think were just there for the taking. My mom made next to nothing as a secretary in the 60's, 70's, when women's work was not valued and pay reflected that.
The baby boomers blamed the greatest generation and the millianials grandchildren will blame them for their problems.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They keep pleading with him to go, several letters, offered money, ... and he keeps ignoring their pleas.

Wonder why they don't just box up his stuff, haul it to the curb, and change the locks.

We had neighbors one time who sold their home, bought an RV, and took off. They told everyone that they had had it with their son, his drug behavior, and his stealing from them.

Seemed a little drastic to me. But it worked for them.

My suspicions are that the son has some mental health issues that he refuses to deal with and the are tired of it all.
I agree and it seems that the prevalent board opinion is to add one more homeless person to the streets as the solution

Old 05-24-2018, 12:46 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Amen,
LOL seems I rep you to much OC. it wouldn't let me do it anymore.

What tickles me, people complain about income inequality and yet don't want to give teachers pensions? go figure.

lol talk about women not being valued. My mom was a civil rights attorney in the deep south during Jim Crow!! lol, my dad tells stories about how he want her to stop working because she spent more on traveling, bailing folks out and buying food for others.

My sons are just getting to the point where they are moving out. my youngest just graduated from Temple last week (thank the good lord ) We were happy to help them as long as we saw them being PRODUCTIVE, once they started goofing off, they definitely got my size 10 feet up their you know what.

and the sad thing is, I still think there are times they get "entitled". I had to drag them to the polls to vote in the primary last week. pissed me off to no end.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:58 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
He's been ordered to be out by June 1st. But he's got some problems with that.

Michael Rotondo reacts to June 1 eviction deadline: What I'm going to do next | syracuse.com

Quote:
Syracuse, NY -- Michael Rotondo was surprised today to learn that he needed to be out of his parents' house by June 1 after a Syracuse.com reporter broke the news to him moments ago.
"Ok, all right..." said Rotondo, 30, his voice trailing off.

He hadn't yet been served a copy of the judge's decision, which was filed publicly at 11:52 a.m. today

"Umm...it's really not a lot of time," he said. "I really don't understand how that's necessary."
But Rotondo said he wasn't planning to be forcibly removed from his parents' Weatheridge Drive residence in Camillus. He vowed to look through all the laws to see if he could stop the eviction.
He also turned to practical matters.
"Mostly, I need to start packing my boxes so I can move," he said. "But I have to pay for the boxes, which might be a problem."

Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
He's been ordered to be out by June 1st. But he's got some problems with that.

Michael Rotondo reacts to June 1 eviction deadline: What I'm going to do next | syracuse.com
You can get free boxes from CVS & liquor stores .. no you don't need to 'pay' for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events