U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 AM

4,783 posts, read 1,544,109 times

Advertisements

So it's funny that people who can't read, write or understand English are in a position where they NEED to read, write and understand English to perform their jobs properly????

Not funny. Spectacularly sad, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 AM

11,895 posts, read 9,616,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
It was a mistake, but they did the right thing and made it right with her. They are doing tons of cakes right now, so mistakes will happen.
I probably would have got some blue icing and just put it on there myself.

Personally, I would think it was funny lol
I think it's funny and wouldn't mind a bit if that were my cake or my hypothetical child's. I think the mother thinking this is such a big deal is especially stupid because it's only high school (and home school) and like others have pointed out, Latin honors aren't typically a thing in high school graduations. So I think having this honor on the cake at all is kind of an overreaction/overdoing it from the start. I graduated college magna *** laude and if this happened on my cake (we didn't even have the honors written on my cake, my graduation party cake just said "Congratulations JerseyGirl415"), I would honestly think it's hilarious - and I think all the guests at my party would have too!

Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 AM

991 posts, read 710,817 times
You are all missing the true tragedy of the article as pointed out by the commenters there:

$70 FOR A PUBLIX SHEET CAKE???

Old 05-23-2018, 07:39 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,326,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So it's funny that people who can't read, write or understand English are in a position where they NEED to read, write and understand English to perform their jobs properly????

Not funny. Spectacularly sad, actually.
1. Itís not English.
2. Itís likely a computer/algorithm issue that got the word censored.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:45 AM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Koscinski said the situation was embarrassing to explain to guests, including her 70-year-old mother.

Wth does the 70 year old mother have to do with it? Think she never heard the word “***” used before?

I think it’s hilarious.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 AM

13,362 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
LOL... There's all kinds of stupid within this story. First, with the Publix employee for not checking to see why the computer software was censoring the word.
Second, for the parent for not correcting them.
Third, what kind of phony BS is this? Summa *** Laude is a college thing. This kid is graduating HS. Since when does one graduate High School Summa *** Laude? Add to that the fact that he's home schooled...?
ha ha - being "home-schooled" explains it - it's a made-up H.S. degree with a made-up title by under-educated parents.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 AM

9,002 posts, read 16,123,201 times
Most online ordering systems, Send a confirmation Email with what you ordered, and the Text to be written on the Cake... She did not notice the description was wrong/missing.

I had a cake made by (Publix or Kroger, don't remember) for my son HS graduation, he graduated a year early, After I did the order, I expanded to the that what I wrote on the form is what I wanted on the cake.

Was looking for the picture of the cake.. but could not find it.

But went some like

Congratulation John 2014 2013

^^ 2014 had a X over it,

He graduated a year early

Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
One of the people here at the office graduated from Clemson a few years back, and we decided to be smart asses.. So I went to Publix and had a cake made for her.. I had to repeat several times what I wanted because they were looking at me weird.. I half stole the idea from a cake I had seen online, but we had them write out

"Congrations, you done did it!"

Intentionally misspelled and horrendous grammar. I had to repeat several times that yes, we did indeed want it like that.

I found a few more articles on it, and it seems they reflect that the mom is taking it a bit more in stride. So, doesn't seem like she was angling for anything more.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM

4,783 posts, read 1,544,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
ha ha - being "home-schooled" explains it - it's a made-up H.S. degree with a made-up title by under-educated parents.
The majority of homeschooling occurs in educated households.

You're welcome. Just taught you something.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM

1,838 posts, read 321,437 times
If the graduation food was a pie, it would be appropriate considering all those "American Pie movies".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or