U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,823,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
High Schools don't give those honors (Highest Honors, Honors), only Colleges do.

Some High Schools are starting to use those. Others may already do so.
https://www.wral.com/wilson-schools-...ians/16471309/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 01:20 PM

4,816 posts, read 5,444,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Well... maybe the employee did check.

I mean, come on. What are the odds that a Publix cake decorator is familiar with lingo pertaining to graduating with honor? Not good.

He probably looked up the blocked word and thought to himself: "I dunno know 'summa' and 'laude' mean but that dude has one raunchy Mom!"
What a classist remark.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 3,201,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No one said it was Spanish.

The computer didn't throw out the the word because it was "not in English, it censored the word because it is slang for semen.

I'm sure the problem could have easily been solved by using spaces.

M a g n a C u m L a u d e
Of course I know that. lol As others here on CD, which also censors, have used " c u m", or the English translation of WITH.

I lived in SW Florida for 10 years and always went to Publix. Order the cake in person, and probably would not have any problem.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:17 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,826,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So, honestly, I'm kinda curious about CD's filters and whether they'll get this.

I think it's a rather large to-do about nothing.. Some of you have probably seen the news article already.. Cake order is sent in to Publix with the following phrase

"Congratulations, Jacob. Summa *** Laude Class of 2018"

SC mom shocked by Publix censoring graduation cake - FOX Carolina 21

Obviously, the Publix cake ordering system has a word filter on it.. Just as one is here.. Certain words, like "***" are blocked out for being 'dirty' words. It's just a flat filter, it doesn't check for context. I'll be a little surprised, honestly, if it is not blocked here as well.

At the end of the day.. Call the store and tell them what you want on the cake. And Publix should probably consider unblocking that word, as it has legitimate uses, especially around this time of year.

They refunded the cake and gave a gift card as an apology.. More than fair.

can't stop laughing.... only in America!!! For God sake!!!

Old 05-24-2018, 03:12 PM

8,176 posts, read 6,020,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I got quite the chuckle out of this story when I saw it trending in my Facebook feed. I guess not many Publix cake decorators are familiar with Summa *** Laude or graduating with honors. Either that or English is not their first language. What really makes me laugh is how every little thing is posted and goes viral within a week. I don't know how we survived years ago. :-)

We all need that little chuckle through the week.. This was a good one for that. Similar to the guy arrested a few weeks ago for huffing glue.. We talked about that one here, right? His picture, that is.

Police: Tenn. man arrested after search yields super glue-huffing stash

I actually was a little hard on the mom because the story I read made it sound like she was hitting up Publix for more than they gave her (Refunded the cake and a gift card).. But, another version of the story got a little more of her reaction and it was pretty clear that while she was a tad annoyed at it, she was pretty much taking it in stride and wasn't gunning for anything else.

Half the topics here are so depressing.. You just need these shake your head, chuckle, and move on moments.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:41 AM

51,312 posts, read 50,576,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So it's funny that people who can't read, write or understand English are in a position where they NEED to read, write and understand English to perform their jobs properly????

Not funny. Spectacularly sad, actually.
Well...Latin.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,503,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well...Latin.

Thank you!

How many typical American's read, speak or write in Latin? I know 1...who was a Latin Major and is now a Latin professor.

Honestly...I don't know all those honors terms. I had one in college one year...I don't remember which one, I didn't care. I didn't graduate with any though. One of my kids graduated college with one of those honors, and my husband did too. But I still don't remember them. They just aren't that important to me.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 PM

14,976 posts, read 16,555,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I mean, come on. What are the odds that a Publix cake decorator is familiar with lingo pertaining to graduating with honor? Not good.[/i]
My college latin teacher, a Phd candidate, moonlighted at the deli in the supermarket. Not sure if he was consulted by the bakery staff on Latin inscriptions or not, though.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:20 AM

993 posts, read 712,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
High Schools don't give those honors (Highest Honors, Honors), only Colleges do. These terms are Latin (not Spanish) in original. Honors graduation for home school graduation? So why didn't the computer through out the other two words not in English?

Magna/Summa WITH (translation) Laude. lol
Home schools can make whatever titles they want. Have graduation parades. Go nuts.

Also find it strange that he had a 4.79 GPA, but if your mom is the teacher....

Old 05-26-2018, 05:31 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We all need that little chuckle through the week.. This was a good one for that. Similar to the guy arrested a few weeks ago for huffing glue.. We talked about that one here, right? His picture, that is.

Police: Tenn. man arrested after search yields super glue-huffing stash

Half the topics here are so depressing.. You just need these shake your head, chuckle, and move on moments.
Oh My Goodness - that guy needs serious help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or