Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

And another one.

RIP baby girl.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/baby-girl...082414296.html
Quote:
A one-year-old baby girl has died after her father accidentally left her inside a hot pickup truck in East Nashville.

The girl’s parents—who adopted her—forgot about their child after the father dropped her siblings off at day care, according to Metropolitan Nashville Police. She was eventually found dead in the car by her mother, later that evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 01:35 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
For those with very young children, I don't understand why they don't concoct some system that would prevent this. Everyone knows now how prevalent this is...

some sort of sticky note reminder on steering wheel system, or parent without child calls parent with child to make sure kid is out of the car...or some sort of motion detector system with warning in back seat...

Parents are so busy, can see why it could happen....but these parents need to be extra vigilant...

Old 05-24-2018, 01:37 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
It's so terribly sad that this keeps happening. It's also frustrating because there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent it.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:18 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
It's so terribly sad that this keeps happening. It's also frustrating because there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent it.
There is. It's called pulling your head out of your butt and paying attention.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
If the child was supposed to be at day care, why didn't the day care call her parents to ask where she was? This needs to be done 100% of the time when an expected child doesn't show up.

If someone else was going to be watching the child, who was that? It can't be the mom. Did the dad "forget" that he was supposed to have her all day?

Old 05-24-2018, 05:31 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If the child was supposed to be at day care, why didn't the day care call her parents to ask where she was? This needs to be done 100% of the time when an expected child doesn't show up.

If someone else was going to be watching the child, who was that? It can't be the mom. Did the dad "forget" that he was supposed to have her all day?

It is possible that daycare providers would be reluctant to have this placed on them as a requirement. They might be concerned that the blame for a "forgotten" child would then be placed on them. It is not the daycare provider's responsibility to remind a parent that the parent has a child to care for.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:56 PM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times
It is hard to fathom how someone could forget and leave a child in the car, but unfortunately it happens all too frequently.

A good practice is to put things that would absolutely be missed in the back seat along with the child... purse, wallet, phone, work badge, laptop, etc. The phone is a good one for many, as they will miss it right away. And there's a nice side benefit to putting it in the back... no temptation to use it while driving.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:02 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
It is possible that daycare providers would be reluctant to have this placed on them as a requirement. They might be concerned that the blame for a "forgotten" child would then be placed on them. It is not the daycare provider's responsibility to remind a parent that the parent has a child to care for.
If it's my regular job to watch a child during certain hours and that child does not show up at the scheduled time, I'm not going to ignore it and go on my merry way all day. I'm going to call to find out why they weren't there. This seems so elementary and not about "blaming" anyone. Either the parent calls to let the daycare/babysitter know they aren't coming, or the caregiver will call them when they don't show up. It's their job to watch the kid; they need to know what is going on.

Even my doctor's office calls if I don't show up for an appointment within 30 minutes of the scheduled time.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I didn't need a method because my kids were absolutely at the forefront of my thoughts at all times when they were little...and even now. But some how it does happen...and it seems to be happening more (someone correct me if I am wrong). So something needs to be done in the car seat industry or the car industry.

What about a car seat that knows its buckled in and if there is weight in it and it gets to a specific temp, it sends off a high pitched alarm that you can hear throughout a normal sized parking lot? We have that or car theft. We have cars that drive themselves. Surely we are smart enough as a society to build some sort of warning system?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
The terrible comparison can be made that probably all of these parents would immediately miss their cel-phone if they got four feet away from it.

"Ooops, I'll just be a sec; left my cel-phone on the counter, can't leave home without it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events