Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times

Advertisements

There are accused of racing at 60 mph. The city response to fixing the problem is lowering the speed limit from 40 mph to 35 mph and reducing lane width to add a bike lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 07:12 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
If these young men fight the charges in a "it wasn't my fault" manner, then I say put them away for a very long time. 25 years as someone suggested would be OK with me. If they accept full responsibility early on and if they show genuine remorse then I'd be OK with a much shorter sentence, but one that includes stripping their driver's licenses for say 10 years.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:21 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This is just horrible...yes poor dad/husband.

Why are teenagers, boys, so ignorant of the consequences of their actions???

Racing on an abandoned road we've heard of, racing in the middle of the day in a busy Tampa area, just unbelievable...

I live on a long, busy street, that has residential houses on both sides. The speed limit is posted as 25 mph, but the typical driver goes about 45. Those driving at 50 or 60 mph, is common. These scofflaws are an equal mix of men and women. The street has bright, overhead lights and some drivers go at these high speeds without headlights and don't even know it.

It's a mystery, why serious accidents are not frequent. I suspect that many of these irresponsible drivers are drug or alcohol-impaired. I used to ride a bicycle here, but now, I make sure to ride only on side streets or off-road paths. Fortunately, we have a large network of those in this area.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:09 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:

Racing on an abandoned road we've heard of, racing in the middle of the day in a busy Tampa area, just unbelievable...
Have only read till this message, but I expect someone to come up with the "front cortex of brain not fully developed" excuse.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I live on a long, busy street, that has residential houses on both sides. The speed limit is posted as 25 mph, but the typical driver goes about 45. Those driving at 50 or 60 mph, is common. These scofflaws are an equal mix of men and women. The street has bright, overhead lights and some drivers go at these high speeds without headlights and don't even know it.

It's a mystery, why serious accidents are not frequent. I suspect that many of these irresponsible drivers are drug or alcohol-impaired. I used to ride a bicycle here, but now, I make sure to ride only on side streets or off-road paths. Fortunately, we have a large network of those in this area.
It can happen anywhere, for any reason. My DH and youngest DD were involved in an accident on our residential street, right in front of our house, which was posted 25 miles per hour. DH had to take DD (then 21 months old) out of her car seat on the driver side due to high snow drifts on the passenger side. A woman driving 50 mph hit black ice, slid, and rammed into them. Luckily DH hadn't yet closed the car door, which shielded them somewhat from the impact...but caused DH to suffer a severely lacerated leg and DD to be thrown out of his arms, suffering a broken hip. It was bad, but could have been so much worse. DD, in shock, doesn't remember screaming at the woman, "Why were you driving so fast!!!!!????"

Last edited by toosie; 05-26-2018 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: TOS - profanity

Old 05-26-2018, 10:39 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Young teens and adults do a lot of stupid things, not to condone their actions, just an observation.

So should we punish the friends and acquaintances of bullies because they didn't protest the actions? Or are all of them responsible when continual cruel actions of bullies create the monsters that commit mass killings in our high schools?
Wait...what? Maybe the passenger had NO IDEA the moron at the wheel was going to race the vehicle and was terrified themself?

Of course the driver won't get what he deserves, that's another story.

I actually had this happen to me in a peripheral way.
My Mother was killed by a 16 y/o joyriding in hs Father's BIG Cadillac years ago, also in Fla (Ft Lauderdale).

My Mother had been a sadistic abuser for my entire childhood, I mean truly sadistic not just throwing the term around loosely, so it was with glee I "pulled the plug" on her life support she was on for just a day or so. Unfortunately she didn't suffer as the impact was head on and she was instantly killed though kept "alive" for around 36hr.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:58 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
I blame movies with drag racing. Fast and Furious comes to mind. Also those car commercials driving at high speed.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I blame movies with drag racing. Fast and Furious comes to mind. Also those car commercials driving at high speed.
I blame people being stupid.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:

So the females going out on bed hopping trysts are smarter?

Old 05-26-2018, 04:04 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I made many dangerous decisions for myself and others in my youth. due to dumb luck I never had a bad outcome. thank god.

this horrible decision by these boys ruined so many lives including theirs.....so sad. I feel sad for everyone involved, especially the husband who lost his young wife and child, but also the boys.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-26-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events