Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:05 AM

17,719 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Phew, just glad to have read this post after the previous insane comments. Some people need help. Seriously.
The comments only came across as insane to those lacking common sense.

As pointed out by ClaraC, the woman has a black eye. Do you think maybe, just maybe, she was in fear of her life and felt that shooting him was the only way to protect herself?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:40 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

As pointed out by ClaraC, the woman has a black eye. Do you think maybe, just maybe, she was in fear of her life and felt that shooting him was the only way to protect herself?
Nice try at diverting but your interpretation on what constitutes common sense is laughable in this context.

Anyone cheering for the loss of life in this situation over the abuse of a cat belongs in a mental institution.

I'm pretty sure we have laws in place to prosecute abusive people. If he gave her a black eye (an assumption you lot are now using to justify your ridiculous stance) then by all means, she should have contacted her local PD to arrest him. It's that simple.

Abusing a cat is bad but it does not justify murdering the person. That is the crux of this conversation.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:57 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
People are actually sympathizing with the murder of an ALLEGED cat beater?

Good grief, pet lovers really have gotten out of hand! (btw, I have a cat).
I couldn't agree more.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 AM

17,719 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Phew, just glad to have read this post after the previous insane comments. Some people need help. Seriously.
Quote:

Quote:
Nice try at diverting but your interpretation on what constitutes common sense is laughable in this context.

Anyone cheering for the loss of life in this situation over the abuse of a cat belongs in a mental institution.

I'm pretty sure we have laws in place to prosecute abusive people. If he gave her a black eye (an assumption you lot are now using to justify your ridiculous stance) then by all means, she should have contacted her local PD to arrest him. It's that simple.

Abusing a cat is bad but it does not justify murdering the person. That is the crux of this conversation.
Him giving her a black eye is an assumption, but it's certainly not a stretch.

Look, none of us know exactly what happened but it's crystal clear that he was in a fit of rage and they were arguing. From the article:

When officers arrived Mary Harrison reported that she had shot her husband “during an argument, as he was beating the family cat,” police said.

Had she not shot him, what do you suppose would have happened?

You don't think she had reason to be fearful of her life? THAT is the crux of this conversation.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:24 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Him giving her a black eye is an assumption, but it's certainly not a stretch.

Look, none of us know exactly what happened but it's crystal clear that he was in a fit of rage and they were arguing. From the article:

When officers arrived Mary Harrison reported that she had shot her husband “during an argument, as he was beating the family cat,” police said.

Had she not shot him, what do you suppose would have happened?

You don't think she had reason to be fearful of her life? THAT is the crux of this conversation.

Well..if the OP was, "Woman Kills Abusive Husband During Argument." it would be the crux.
But the alleged cat beating is the hook..and yes, the crux of this thread.

It may well turn out that she WAS justified..because of some abuse...but...beating the cat..does not justify killing, in and of itself.

A legal aside--the spousal abuse defense for homicide is a tricky one. The question always arises--if the abuse was ongoing..why not notify the authorities? There are some psychological mechanisms you can attempt to claim--but is by no mean a slam-dunk!

IMO..this case is a perfect fit for a 'crime of passion' plea. Voluntary Manslaughter 5 to 10--with time off for good behavior.

Or she can try for the acquittal...but the risks of being convicted for 2nd degree murder--and a 20+ year sentence are high.

It is always a mistake for a defendant to let their sense of justification lead them into a confrontation with the legal system.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:

It is anything but simple.

But hey, please relate to us your experience with getting domestic violence abusers put behind bars. Perhaps there is something we have missed.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:54 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:

I'm not a cat owner nor cat lover. I dislike them in fact.

However.

A person who has it in them to beat/assault/physically harm a helpless living creature of whatever species is someone I would gladly kill could I get away with it.

To me, the "crux" is that a person capable of doing that should be removed from society permanently and them being dead is permanent.

Hurting in whatever fashion something helpless is the salient point; humans who do that are best eliminated.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:42 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
The woman appears to have a black eye in the news story and most people tend to get VERY upset when they see someone abusing something/someone smaller and weaker.

It's not a stretch to imagine that he might have been abusive towards her but when he was cruel to the cat she just temporarily "lost it" and shot him in the moment.

I worked in a prison for a short time and we had a trustee who cleaned the offices because she was one of the best behaved inmates in the place. She was a teeny-tiny woman and very well spoken/polite. You never would have guessed that she was in there for killing her husband but that's exactly what she was in for. Her husband had been abusive towards her and she had pretty much tolerated it since she was a housewife and thought she didn't have a way out. One day it changed and the husband beat her then started to go after the kids and her dog. That's when she snapped and blasted him with a shotgun. It's hard to tell how any of us would react in an extreme situation like that.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:12 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I worked in a prison for a short time and we had a trustee who cleaned the offices because she was one of the best behaved inmates in the place. She was a teeny-tiny woman and very well spoken/polite. You never would have guessed that she was in there for killing her husband but that's exactly what she was in for. Her husband had been abusive towards her and she had pretty much tolerated it since she was a housewife and thought she didn't have a way out. One day it changed and the husband beat her then started to go after the kids and her dog. That's when she snapped and blasted him with a shotgun. It's hard to tell how any of us would react in an extreme situation like that.
And she absolutely should NOT have been incarcerated for that.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Justifiable homicide in my opinion.

I hope the cat is ok.

Dallas woman says she killed husband for beating their pet cat, cops say | Fox News
Your joking, right?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events