Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

I guess this means I'm going to have to stock up on plastic straws like I did with incandescent light bulbs.

Hey elementary school kids, how many plastic straw makers are you putting out of jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 05:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The point is that if a straw isn't cleaned out properly bacteria can proliferate and become harmful. That's why we sanitize and clean baby bottles properly after each use.

That's really not the point. He was complaining about reusable straws, which unless they're those annoying, swirling ones, can be cleaned just like everything else we reuse in the kitchen. (Cups, utensils, etc. that have "germs" on them from saliva.)

Old 06-16-2018, 07:23 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Last time I used straws they were made of paper!

I'm glad these kids are getting involved and hope that they will see that they can make a difference. Plastic straws are not necessary. Paper straws were fine.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hey elementary school kids, how many plastic straw makers are you putting out of jobs?
Yes, lets continue destroying the enviroment so that a few people don't have to look for a new job.

The sea turtles appreciate your concern.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
What I want to know is, how does a plastic straw at a McDonalds in Kansas City find its way to the Pacific Ocean where a whale ends up eating it.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
That's really not the point. He was complaining about reusable straws, which unless they're those annoying, swirling ones, can be cleaned just like everything else we reuse in the kitchen. (Cups, utensils, etc. that have "germs" on them from saliva.)

Good luck getting fruit juice pulp out of the inside of a plastic straw.

I'd rather see them get those blasted packing peanuts banned.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
What I want to know is, how does a plastic straw at a McDonalds in Kansas City find its way to the Pacific Ocean where a whale ends up eating it.
They gets into streams and creeks... which lead to the rivers... that leads to the oceans. It might not necessarily end up in the Pacific Ocean, but it can still impact sea life in the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 AM

32,645 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Isn't most of the plastic in the Pacific originating from Asian countries that are dumping their garbage into the ocean? If plastic problem isn't originating in the USA, how does banning plastic straw in the USA solve the problem of plastic straws from China polluting the ocean?

The answer to how does a plastic straw in Kansas City end up in the ocean, is that it doesn't. It ends up in a local landfill.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Isn't most of the plastic in the Pacific originating front Asian countries that are dumping their garbage into the ocean? If plastic problem isn't originating in the USA, how does banning plastic straw in the USA solve the problem of plastic straws from China polluting the ocean?
I don't see why another country being worse means that we shouldn't do anything about the problem we have in the US. Do you also blame Asian countries for our polluted lakes, rivers, creeks, etc...?

Quote:
The answer to how does a plastic straw in .Ohio end up in the ocean, is that it doesn't. It ends up in a local landfill.
No, it ends up in lakes, rivers, streams, etc... Which can end up in the oceans. Just because you don't live on the ocean, doesn't mean that what you do doesn't effect it.

One example would be the Gulf of Mexico dead zone, which is caused by pollution in the Midwest getting into the Mississippi river, and making its way down stream. In your example of Ohio, the Ohio river is the largest tributary of the Mississippi river. So yes, pollutants, and other trash, that is in the Ohio river can eventually make it into oceans.

It's a nice thought to think that all of our garbage goes to landfills, but that's simply not true. People litter, trash gets blown from trash trucks or trashcans, etc

. If you think that the United States is free of plastic garbabge, then you must not get out in nature much. I went kayaking on the river last weekend, there was definitely trash in the waterways here. Local organizations do stream cleanups throughout the year, but every year there is still more and more garbage to be pulled from the water.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
One of the latest 'in' things to be concerned about is 'the plastic straw'. Many years ago, my county leaders became concerned about recycling garbage. So, millions of dollars were spent to separate paper, newsprint, tin, aluminum, glass, plastic bags and Styrofoam. Things went well for awhile until Waste Management complained that there was no market for plastic bags and Styrofoam. So, word went out. Don't place plastic bags and Styrofoam in recycle bins anymore. Place it in your household trash can. But we are concerned about a plastic straw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events