Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:27 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Actually my point. And then the waitstaff wouldn't have to worry about whether they are going to get paid in the end. Yes, the price on the menu will be higher. But it's not fair for waitstaff, especially those who go out of their way to be great, to depend (hope) their customers aren't jerks who under tip. For the record I have never worked in this industry, just have a lot of appreciation for those who do.
Many people who do work in the industry tell me they wouldn't do so if it weren't for tips. They can make serious money in the right places; a few restaurants have tried the no-tipping business model recently and are having problems staying staffed.

There are a few (seven) states with laws requiring the establishment to pay minimum wage (no counting tips as a part of the wage), and with the exception of Alaska, restaurant prices aren't noticeably higher than their counterparts where state laws allow them to be paid two bucks or whatever an hour.

A better solution, if it's even a problem that needs a solution, is supporting legislation requiring restaurants to pay at least minimum wage regardless of tips. It works just fine in the states that already do this.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Dine and dash= lowlife scum. I see it the same as a hit and run. No respect for the other man , without reason. And they were mostly Women? That is not lady like. What B words they are.

I did something like this when I was a 17 years old , out clubbing and drinking, but realized after eating that I did not have the money. It was me and my date, screeeccchhh!

Old 06-11-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Nope. Not in the case of restaurants that pay less than minimum wage. Try doing that with a regular retail store.
Servers make way more than retail employees.

A lot of them think that eliminating tipping would result in lower overall incomes for them.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Many people who do work in the industry tell me they wouldn't do so if it weren't for tips. They can make serious money in the right places; a few restaurants have tried the no-tipping business model recently and are having problems staying staffed.

There are a few (seven) states with laws requiring the establishment to pay minimum wage (no counting tips as a part of the wage), and with the exception of Alaska, restaurant prices aren't noticeably higher than their counterparts where state laws allow them to be paid two bucks or whatever an hour.

A better solution, if it's even a problem that needs a solution, is supporting legislation requiring restaurants to pay at least minimum wage regardless of tips. It works just fine in the states that already do this.
I do think minimum wage should be a requirement in the restaurant industry. I mean, $2.13? What politician came up with that number? It's weird. Get a bad table, too bad so sad.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Servers make way more than retail employees.

A lot of them think that eliminating tipping would result in lower overall incomes for them.
No, not my point. Read the post I was responding to. Shoot, now I need to find it. Poster wasn't saying servers make more or less than retail employees.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
No, not my point. Read the post I was responding to. Shoot, now I need to find it. Poster wasn't saying servers make more or less than retail employees.
I know that. I was just pointing out that it's really not a good comparison.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:17 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
If a server reports in their tips they are making less than minimum wage the restaurant legally must then pay the server the difference so that they make at least minimum wage.
Legally, sure, but as a business that deals with a lot of cash they don't all do things 'legally'
Quote:
Even in the states where servers are paid a sub-wage, their mandatory reported tips are usually more than enough to disqualify them from "free government programs." I don't think most people realize how much money those doing these jobs often make. They earn it, too.
Some of them make good money, an awful lot don't.
My son worked as a server for a few years, not too long ago. He quit a few places over their questionable practices, such as being 'required' to report tips he didn't receive while being told he had to earn his way to better shifts. Another place put him on all the slow shifts because they reserved the better shifts for the 'girls', because they brought in more business. Or the place that required pooling tips and the mgrs had their fingers in the pie and took a cut of the tips before splitting the rest.
College town, always a fresh, cheap labor supply available. I guess those mgrs felt like they could get away with it, and mostly they did.

I like the idea of a cc imprint/reserve before ordering, makes sense to me and I don't see how it 'punishes' anyone. Why does it matter if they take your card before the meal instead of after the meal? I hope the answer doesn't pop up that someone doesn't want to be treated like a criminal, or that it's a trust issue, because I think it's pretty odd that restaurants are one of the few businesses that give you your product first and 'trust' you to pay after. When is the last time you went to a movie or concert and were asked to pay on your way out?

Old 06-11-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I know that. I was just pointing out that it's really not a good comparison.
It's just frustrating to me. I've researched and found out about the $2.13 wage in Texas. How many other folks have? I think most people think a tip is a *plus* and not a wage. That bothers me.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I do think minimum wage should be a requirement in the restaurant industry. I mean, $2.13? What politician came up with that number? It's weird. Get a bad table, too bad so sad.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. It originated with the restaurant lobby. Nonetheless, I know a young woman who works in Alaska during the summer and Arizona in winter. Alaska state law requires restaurants to pay minimum wage, while Arizona has the 2.13 or whatever thing. She said that she actually comes out better in Arizona after taxes. Not sure how that works. In my opinion, tips shouldn't be taxed at all.

I haven't done this sort of work since college, and I can tell you I wouldn't have done it if the tips didn't make it worth it. For every idiot who doesn't tip, there's someone else who more than makes up for it. I have yet to hear one person who works in the industry saying they'd be happy going to a set hourly wage; as far as I'm concerned, it's their call.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:08 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:

I haven't done this sort of work since college, and I can tell you I wouldn't have done it if the tips didn't make it worth it. For every idiot who doesn't tip, there's someone else who more than makes up for it. I have yet to hear one person who works in the industry saying they'd be happy going to a set hourly wage; as far as I'm concerned, it's their call.
This is true. Like I was saying to others I still pick up shifts; I wouldn't do it if it weren't such easy money. Sometimes I can't resist that Friday night shift where I make $25-30/hr in cash.

Why don't more people understand this?

Lol, I'd never "pick up" a retail shift to be paid $9-10 an hour (before taxes taken out) in a paycheck two weeks later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events