Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yes, I would certainly take the word of a 13 year old Atlanta boy who didn't even ride the coaster this year as to its quality of maintenance.
Well, if you had read the whole thread you'd realize that the rollercoaster was shut down twice by state inspectors in 2017. I'd say the kid's comments were accurate. A properly maintained rollercoaster isn't bumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
If you go on a rollercoaster you should only do so with the expectation that you might die, and no fair complaining if you do.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you go on a rollercoaster you should only do so with the expectation that you might die, and no fair complaining if you do.
Do you think that anyone on that rollercoaster was made aware that state inspectors shut it down 3 times in the past year for safety violations? Or that it had just re-opened after being shut down for the past month for safety violations? I'm guessing none of them knew, and I'm guessing that none of them would have gone on that rollercoaster if they had known.

Is it fair for the park to withhold that information?

I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding an expectation of death if you choose to go on a rollercoaster. However, I'd say your odds are much better when a rollercoaster has been properly maintained. And inspection info, including all previous violations, should be clearly posted for potential riders.

I think the people on this rollercoaster have every right to complain.

(By the way, a dead person can't complain!)

Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yes, I would certainly take the word of a 13 year old Atlanta boy who didn't even ride the coaster this year as to its quality of maintenance.

Uh huh, I got a chuckle out of them quoting a 13 year old too. After all, he has ridden it before, so that makes him an expert.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Well, if you had read the whole thread you'd realize that the rollercoaster was shut down twice by state inspectors in 2017. I'd say the kid's comments were accurate. A properly maintained rollercoaster isn't bumpy.
Not true, there is a couple wooden coasters at Kings Island In Cincinnati (the beast, The racer), they are extremely bumpy, but thats just the way they are. The Racer first opened around the early 70s, still running today.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not true, there is a couple wooden coasters at Kings Island In Cincinnati (the beast, The racer), they are extremely bumpy, but thats just the way they are. The Racer first opened around the early 70s, still running today.

Wooden coasters are different.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:52 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Anything mechanical is bound to fail eventually

Old 06-16-2018, 11:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That expectation, or risk, is precisely what the attraction is. No fear or thrills, no riders. That's fine for those enjoy the adrenaline rush and excitement regardless of the risk. For myself, and probably many others, entertainment is not a good enough reason for even a remote chance of injury or death.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:01 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
I just saw on NBC Nightly News that this rollercoaster has a history of maintenance problems -- including excessive corrosion and damaged cars. Inspectors shut it down 2 times in 2017. It was also shut down last month, and didn't re-open until just hours before this accident.

34 foot drop, and 9 people rushed to the hospital.
This is the main reason I avoid small park rides. They don't have the funds to buy good new equipment and maintain it.

I'm just shocked that people lived.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:59 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
I think the people on this rollercoaster have every right to complain.

(By the way, a dead person can't complain!)
Sharp of you to catch that, redplum. Heh.

We're such a goofy, self-destructive society these days. What's wrong with Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware?

When you're trusting your life to a machine you really should take time to find out how reliable the machine is. With a smart phone that shouldn't be too difficult.

If you don't check the unspoken message is that it doesn't occur to you if you ride you may die (in which case the gene pool has been relieved of one more clueless person.)

Or the message is that you are willingly taking the risk. Seems simple to me. I get so tired of people blaming others and profiting from the results of their own uninformed decisions.

All that logic I just typed sounds so cruel and unfeeling. That's just from the perspective of science and nature. Personally my sympathies lie with the victims and their families for their losses.

Sometimes accidents happen. Sometimes it's the fault of the chooser; sometimes of the provider. Either way they're painful and irreversible in their finality. No amount of blame changes that a whit.

Last edited by Lodestar; 06-16-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events