Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
What puzzles me about this story is the fact that she was apparently fine, attending a school trip, and died in her sleep with nobody the wiser. I thought TSS left you feeling lousy for a week or more before it killed you, and by that time someone would have gotten wise and put her in a hospital, am I right? They wouldn't have taken her on a outing if she was vomiting and had a fever.
TSS can come on very suddenly and acutely. She likely was feeling a little under the weather but thought it would pass with a good night's sleep, but septic shock is relentless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why would you have to sterilize them? Seems that simply rinsing them with mild soap would be good enough. You certainly don't sterilize your guy before he gets up in there.
good advice there
throw the guy in boiling water, for several minutes
and always have 3 or 4 extra guys to use while the others are being sterilized

Old 06-29-2018, 01:30 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Some women go through a box of tampons in a month? (Yes, I'm a woman). The boxes I buy have 36 tampons. Can't imagine using 6 per day for 6 days. That's one long, heavy flow.

I know we're all different, but the things you learn on C-D!
It wasn't 6 per day for 6 days. It was hourly on the first day and then things slowed down a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
And your guy doesn't stay up in there for hours.
He wishes. That's just his selling point. It's only when you bring him home do you find out different.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
good advice there
throw the guy in boiling water, for several minutes
and always have 3 or 4 extra guys to use while the others are being sterilized
OMG! This discussion has just gone completely off the rails. No more!

Old 06-29-2018, 01:39 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not true, unfortunately. Menstrual cups have the same risk of TSS as tampons according to recent research. Just make sure you clean the properly, though, and you should be fine.
Do you have some information on that? I haven't seen anything at all that indicates it. If there is research though, please let me know. Some of my friends use them too.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Do you have some information on that? I haven't seen anything at all that indicates it. If there is research though, please let me know. Some of my friends use them too.
Impact of currently marketed tampons and menstrual cups on Staphylococcus aureus growth and TSST-1 production in vitro.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:24 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, I had an experience in the corporate world decades ago. Boss was complaining that I was going to the Restroom every 2 hours once a month. I said to him, "Do you want to buy me a new chair every month?" He never mentioned it again.
This is one of the reasons I'm glad I work in a female-dominated profession/workplace. We have a cabinet in our co-ed (single stall) staff bathroom labeled "Emergency Supplies" - and it's just full of feminine products. Oh, and a flashlight.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:29 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It was the super absorbent variety that also didn’t come with an applicator. I think they were called OB. So less than scrupulously clean fingers and a “ long- wearing” tampon is asking for trouble.

We all have tons of bacteria on the surface of our skin. No problems long as it stays outside. Poor kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Rely tampons. I remember when they were taken off the market.
And some of us can still hum the jingle.

The problem with Rely was not the lack of an applicator - many brands were (and are, afaik) sold that didn't have one - but that it was super-ultra-absorbent and thus, despite weak warnings, could be left in place for 24 hours or more. That duration and something about the absorbent material made it a staph bomb.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:31 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
$7 for a box of them is "ridiculously high priced"?
It is when you're buying one every month, plus Ibuprofen and other "supplies." For someone on a fixed/low income, especially, that could be difficult to manage... and it isn't really an optional expense, although you can get cheaper brands or types if necessary. Personally I think they should be free at any walk-in clinic, and/or covered under basic insurance plans. I'm fortunate to have the means to buy them myself, but acknowledge that isn't the case for every woman.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:14 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
And for quicker reading, that study was picked up by the popular press:

https://www.consumerreports.org/wome...hock-syndrome/

https://health.howstuffworks.com/sex...an-tampons.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events