Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,325,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
It's been 19 or 20 years now. High School Homecoming Queen.... in College now.

(I was thinking she (my cousin) was around 54...when I checked,she was actually in her late forties....so my bad.)
OK. Late 40s is still remotely possible to get pregnant but by age 50 it becomes near impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 05:15 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,226,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
When Bridgette brings her child to school a lot of parents and her classmates will be thinking that's the grandmother. Quite a few of my school mates thought my dad was my grandfather as he had me at 40.

My husband was 50 when our first son was born and 52 with the second. Unfortunately he looked his age and everybody we met while out with the kids assumed he was their grandfather. I finally had a t-shirt made that said this: I am NOT the grandfather. The boys were 25 & 23 when he died.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 AM

3,975 posts, read 8,135,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No her eggs were not used.

But lots of men have children in their 50s and nobody bats an eyelash.
As a child of older parents......I hated it! My parents were the age of my friends grandparents. I did/do not have any cousins my age. I did not have any grand parents. My parents died before my kids were born so in the same category with me of never knowing a grand parent. I just always felt like I missed out on knowing my parents when they were younger and maybe more fun to be around.

My parents never swam with me, tossed a ball with me, went to a movie with me, etc. They watched from a distance and someone else did most of the care and upbringing. I feel like we were left out of a lot of activities where my friends from school and their parents got together to do stuff. It was like when you chose the people to be on your team. My mom was always chosen last because she didn't fit in with the younger moms. My dad just never tried to. He was just pretty uninvolved with my life until I was an adult in college. JMHO

Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,040,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
As a child of older parents......I hated it! My parents were the age of my friends grandparents. I did/do not have any cousins my age. I did not have any grand parents. My parents died before my kids were born so in the same category with me of never knowing a grand parent. I just always felt like I missed out on knowing my parents when they were younger and maybe more fun to be around.

My parents never swam with me, tossed a ball with me, went to a movie with me, etc. They watched from a distance and someone else did most of the care and upbringing. I feel like we were left out of a lot of activities where my friends from school and their parents got together to do stuff. It was like when you chose the people to be on your team. My mom was always chosen last because she didn't fit in with the younger moms. My dad just never tried to. He was just pretty uninvolved with my life until I was an adult in college. JMHO
Wow, that sounds rough, thanks for sharing. But honestly if you just took the above post and took out things that mentioned age, it sounds like most American parents, young and old. Not involved, don't play, have nannies, etc

So I know you may feel like you got the short end of the stick, but if it makes you feel better, that is a normal American family.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:30 AM

16,366 posts, read 8,461,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

It sounds like your parents acted their age, but others are younger in spirit if not their chronological years. I have known a few older parents over the years who did attend their kids sporting events, class outings, etc.

Since you got to know your Dad better as an adult, did you ever ask him why he and your Mom started so late?

`

Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 AM

88,263 posts, read 84,222,834 times
I don't know if any one mentioned this, but as I recall from the days when she was in the news more often, her name is "Brigitte", pronounced "Bri-GEET", not Bridget. She's Danish, not Irish.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,052,530 times
I don’t know why anybody’s opinion would even matter to parents anymore.

For every criticism here about older parents; there is a criticism about people having kids too young or before they are financially stable.

That particular argument: “Financially ready” always sounded ridiculous to me. People spend decades preparing for retirement; not kids. And I’ve personally known so many people that weren’t really motivated towards economic viability until they had kids.

Not saying that’s how it should be but it just is what it is. Makes me wonder about all the people who say that one should have to be screened & approved before being “allowed” to reproduce.

Based on the mixed messages; what would the proposed approval criteria actually be & how many of us would actually qualify?

Old 07-02-2018, 11:13 AM

77,977 posts, read 60,166,723 times
The main concern would be the much higher risk of birth defects but that's a risk you have to take.

I'd be nervous that we'd die before the kid got very old, especially if I didn't have a support network that could step in.

Ultimately however it's a personal decision made on a one at a time basis.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:35 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,838,807 times
I'd say having parents that planned on having a baby gives one a better advantage right from the start. Sometimes intentions and attitude count.

Who of us is guaranteed a long life anyway?

Old 07-03-2018, 06:35 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,226,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

That particular argument: “Financially ready” always sounded ridiculous to me. People spend decades preparing for retirement; not kids. And I’ve personally known so many people that weren’t really motivated towards economic viability until they had kids.

Not saying that’s how it should be but it just is what it is. Makes me wonder about all the people who say that one should have to be screened & approved before being “allowed” to reproduce.

Based on the mixed messages; what would the proposed approval criteria actually be & how many of us would actually qualify?

My personal opinion is a couple should have children when they can afford all the expense that goes with having them without needing to rely on the government. But I don't want to derail the thread.

Whether Bridgett has a child at 54 does not affect me in the least. She is rich and can afford to hire as much help as she needs. Women have a life expectancy close to 80 these days I believe and if she stays fit there's no reason why she can't be active with her child. I personally would never want a child at that age but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events