Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Well did you know that Houston is a Democratic run city ? Current mayor is a Dem and previous several as well .

So that might explain it.
I don't know when ocnjgirl saw large numbers of homeless on the streets of Houston, but they have reduced the number of their homeless by 75% since 2011 by providing them with housing, imagine that?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...nd-lots-of-it/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:16 PM

326 posts, read 199,391 times
... and all this time I thought my Dad was joking when he said "don't step in the poo" regarding my upcoming Pacific Coast 7 night cruise in September...which includes 2 days in San Francisco.

Is it really that bad? I've seen homeless here in Seattle. Tent city on downtown streets... underneath I-5.... is SF that much worse?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I didn’t notice toilets for the homeless in Houston, and there were more homeless there than I’ve seen anywhere, granted I’ve never been to west coast. What does progressive have to do with it? Can you name some cities run by conservatives who have solved their homeless problem? How did they do it? Or was it just drive by snark, and you don’t actually know of any city that has solve the problem?
To be fair, homelessness is most rampant up and down the Pacific coast, especially the Northwest, and we know who is in charge there. You see, Dems have cornered the market on compassion but when they get a chance to govern, this is what you get.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

As I said before, there are two options, give them a safe clean place to sleep or ignore them and do nothing
Add a maid service to your formula because that safe, clean place won't last clean very long. Would you bring them into your home?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:39 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We need tough laws to confront vagrancy, and its companion -- panhandling, with an immediate trip to a Joe Arpaio-inspired stockade upon the first offense.
Courts took away the weapon of "loitering" laws, holding them to be "unconstitutionally vague." Frankly I think we have to rely on peoples' intelligence to determine what the law means. There's a difference between going out for a walk and hanging out in a threatening manner.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:19 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Courts took away the weapon of "loitering" laws, holding them to be "unconstitutionally vague." Frankly I think we have to rely on peoples' intelligence to determine what the law means. There's a difference between going out for a walk and hanging out in a threatening manner.
If a person is actually threatening others, that's a crime and they should be arrested and charged for it. But the reason loitering laws were found to be unconstitutionally vague is because people were being arrested for behavior that was not defined by any particular action but rather by a 'hunch' or a 'feeling' that the individual was hanging out in a threatening manner or was "up to no good". Allowing criminal prosecution based on that level of subjectivity renders anyone who stops walking in a public place subject to arrest.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:36 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Well did you know that Houston is a Democratic run city ? Current mayor is a Dem and previous several as well .

So that might explain it.
This was about 10 years ago. So again, point me to some Republican run cities which have effectively solved their homeless problem.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
To be fair, homelessness is most rampant up and down the Pacific coast, especially the Northwest, and we know who is in charge there. You see, Dems have cornered the market on compassion but when they get a chance to govern, this is what you get.
Again, people keep ignoring the part of my sentence where I say please point me to some Republican run cities which have affectively solved their homeless problem. Or are you making the rather absurd claim that only democratic run cities have homeless?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:12 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,034,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, people keep ignoring the part of my sentence where I say please point me to some Republican run cities which have affectively solved their homeless problem. Or are you making the rather absurd claim that only democratic run cities have homeless?
I don't think anyone is saying that republican run cities don't have homeless, but we are saying the worst cities are liberal run. And it's liberals using the "vote for me and we will give you free stuff" that is the culprit.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:30 PM

643 posts, read 329,072 times
During my Navy days ( 2 year draftee) I was stationed with squadron VR-8 At Moffett Field NAS for 1 1/2 years.

(Jan 66-June 67)

I went up to San Francisco often and wasn't afraid to walk down any street at night or have a few beers in any bar. My favorite was the Montana Club on Eddy Street.

Rough crowd, there.

I never came close to getting mugged or even getting in a fight.
I never saw people urinating or defecating on the streets.

What went wrong in the last 50 years ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events