Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times

Advertisements

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/vira...amily-in-miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 06:57 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I hate this. It gives the impression that chimps are good pets. They aren't. They can be dangerous and violent given the right set of circumstances. They should NEVER be in a home where there are children. They also have 8 times the strength of a human and can rip a person apart. Chimps are fine...in the wild, where they belong.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I hate this. It gives the impression that chimps are good pets. They aren't. They can be dangerous and violent given the right set of circumstances. They should NEVER be in a home where there are children. They also have 8 times the strength of a human and can rip a person apart. Chimps are fine...in the wild, where they belong.
This chimp was apparently born in a zoo, and was rejected by his mother at birth because he had pneumonia.

I agree that chimps belong in the wild, but since they aren't native to the US we can't ensure their wild communities continue to exist. Chimps, orangs, and gorillas have ever reducing populations in the wild and we are helpless to stop their native countries from killing them all or getting rid of their wild habitat.

This one isn't a pet. It was cared for as a very sick baby and is now in a wildlife sanctuary.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
It wasn't a pet. Good grief.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Thanks for posting it.

Just like a dog or even a horse that has not seen someone that cared for them in a long time.

Though a commercial, I enjoyed this as it reminded me of how horses can be attached to humans as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTbLBL2P6YA

`

Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Thanks for posting it.

Just like a dog or even a horse that has not seen someone that cared for them in a long time.

Though a commercial, I enjoyed this as it reminded me of how horses can be attached to humans as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTbLBL2P6YA

`
Vector - thanks for that - I remember that commercial as I sit here crying after watching it!

Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 AM

727 posts, read 151,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla
I hate this. It gives the impression that chimps are good pets. They aren't. They can be dangerous and violent given the right set of circumstances.
Yes but lets be fair here..... ANY ANIMAL can be dangerous....... Especially the human animal!!

This is a wonderful video

Old 07-06-2018, 04:16 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
I would normally agree with this, but this chimp wasn't kept as a pet. It was being nursed back to health, not taught human traits. On the surface it's a heartwarming video. I hope there's nothing more sinister hidden from our eyes though.

It reminds me of that lion years ago who remembered it's trainers after it had been released to Africa. He even lead his female mate out to meet the trainers. Very touching.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:15 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It wasn't a pet. Good grief.
It doesn't matter. Humans should stay away from Chimps because chimps can attack. They are very dangerous. Just ask Charla Nash.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...victim-3091674

Or ask St. James Davis.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...e-attack-0409/

Old 07-06-2018, 10:21 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Vector - thanks for that - I remember that commercial as I sit here crying after watching it!
I have actually never seen this before! I am tearing up too! I am glad my door is closed, my colleagues will think I've lost my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events