Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

When you hear about a young kid getting shot to death, it's just a statistic, one of thousands. But when you see these young kids, in the prime of their lives, end up getting murdered, and their dead bodies on display after 'extreme embalming', it makes you think of how terrible gun violence really is. The statistics become personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 AM

919 posts, read 609,505 times
The embalmers did an excellent job.
When I worked in funerals, the best compliment was when the family came to thank me & say that the deceased looked peacefully asleep.

Grief is such a personal thing. When people asked me if they should hold a viewing of the body (open caskets at funerals are rare here) I'd say it's entirely up to the family, that I couldn't make that decision (If they were hesitant or nervous though, I would advise that usually indicated that it might not be a good idea)
I've heard people say viewing the deceased traumatised them (mourners often said that now when they think of the deceased, they picture them dead laying in a coffin), while many others said it helped the grieving process.

There's no right or wrong way to grieve. Each to their own.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 AM

919 posts, read 609,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i wonder if he knew about this beforehand? like, he talked about it with someone and if he knew that this is what they would do with him after he died. (i didn't read the OP article because it required me to do things just to read the article and see the picture. and i found the story on another site, but didn't get past the picture because...just...ew...). i mean, is this what he wanted? ugh...
Funerals are for the living, not the dead.

As long as the deceased is treated with respect.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:09 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
This practice is extremely odd and macabre to me. I'd rather honor the dead with a traditional burial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events