Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Despite what I said above and despite their public statements, the parents have to know at gut level that they are responsible for their daughter’s death.

They tried to short-cut it. “Honey, if it says Chips Ahoy, it’s safe for you to eat.” What a horrible way to find out how wrong they were.

I am certainly not unsympathetic. They may be deluding themselves into thinking that a big cash settlement, though it won’t bring Alexi back, would help them feel better. But from everything I’ve been told, nothing can erase the death of a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 02:20 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Of course it's a tragedy. But we don't even know yet whether that's the whole story. There could be much more here than has thus far met our eyes.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
Ya and you might be able to smell peanut butter in it im not sure.....

This is very sad..... I guess she thought it was ok

I witnessed a coworker open her mouth to take a bite of a rice krispy treat and the instant it touched her tongue, she just got up and explained briefly that there was peanut oil in it and that she was going to walk to the ER and get an epinephrine shot to ward off anaphylaxis. (we worked in a hospital) I only wish that everyone who had allergies was that tuned in to the possible presence of their allergen.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:34 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
This is very sad. I certainly agree that a teenager (not a young child) with an allergy as severe as that should have been taught as soon as she could read, not to eat anything unless she looked at the ingredient list. There are plenty of other products (cookies, candies, ice cream, etc.) that come in peanut and non-peanut varieties. Thinking you recognize the color of the package or the brand name is not enough.

My husband's niece and nephew have similarly severe peanut and tree nut allergies and they are ultra careful about what they eat, and have been since they went off to preschool at the age of 3. They live in Germany and the schools did not go nut-free for them like a US school would, the kids were expected to bring their own food and not eat anything else that wasn't specifically reviewed by their teacher. Even as preschoolers, they were aware that their lives were on the line if they did not comply with their food restrictions. They're now 18 and 16 and completely reliable in this regard.

I'm sorry, and this is a tragedy, but honestly it is on the shoulders of the girl who did not take adequate precautions and not on the food company. At her age, she really should have known better.

Last edited by saibot; 07-17-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 02:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
Ya and you might be able to smell peanut butter in it im not sure.....
No, you'd be able to smell the peanut butter.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
If I were a high schooler today, I'd go into allergy medicine. There's something going on, all these allergies weren't around 20+ years ago when I was a kid. Someday, hopefully someone figures out the trigger.
I knew people 20+ years ago with these allergies. My brother has a nut allergy, its not some new phenomenon. Its more likely that we're just hearing about more stories now that there is 24/7 access to world news. This isn't the type of story you're going to see on the local news, unless its a local story.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:52 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Surprised the conspiracy folks have not chimed in with the usual "this sounds fishy, they were looking for a payout so they enlisted the friend's help in setting her up to eat peanuts".

Old 07-17-2018, 02:53 PM

130,318 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I knew people 20+ years ago with these allergies. My brother has a nut allergy, its not some new phenomenon. Its more likely that we're just hearing about more stories now that there is 24/7 access to world news. This isn't the type of story you're going to see on the local news, unless its a local story.
I agree many of these allergies have been around for a long time, maybe 100 years ago, people died, from an allergic reaction, & it was put down to death from something else. I have cousin who was diagnosed with celiac about 40 years ago.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
She didn't bother to look at the branding on the *side* of the packaging? Common sense would dictate that. You don't go by just color alone. Anybody with less than an hour's experience stocking market shelves could tell you that.

There's sometiuhng more to this that social media/the alarmist mass media aren't telling.
Just a kid. Kids often don’t pay attention.

I wonder why so many kids are allergic to peanuts, and so virulently? It may be just more exposure to information because of the net and all, but I don’t remember a lot of kids having terrible allergies when I was young. More athsma though. Seems like medicine has gotten better at controlling that.

Sorry this happened. I can’t imagine the parent’s and friend’s pain.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Just FYI, for everyone thinking she might not have seen it if it were on the top.... It is on the sides too. And how could she not smell the peanut butter, or immediately taste it for Christ sake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events